• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Broke again: Clicking noise when turning right at any speed

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I'm skeptical that undertorqued nuts are causing that noise. I don't really have a good idea what it is though.

Have you tried swapping front tires? Maybe check for loose brake components while the wheels are off.
Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
I thought usually a clicking when turning at low speed was a problem with a CV joint. Are your CV boots intact? If you get under there can you wiggle any part of the axle with your hand? Or if you jack it up and try and wiggle the wheel while your hand is on the CV joint you should be able to feel if there is any play.

OP
OP
jetfixr1

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm skeptical that undertorqued nuts are causing that noise. I don't really have a good idea what it is though.

Have you tried swapping front tires? Maybe check for loose brake components while the wheels are off.
I took the wheel off. It seems like perhaps the wheel was walking around the hub. I retorqued, again, and the noise has gone away. Everything seems fine with the brake, boots and CV joint.

OP
OP
jetfixr1

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought usually a clicking when turning at low speed was a problem with a CV joint. Are your CV boots intact? If you get under there can you wiggle any part of the axle with your hand? Or if you jack it up and try and wiggle the wheel while your hand is on the CV joint you should be able to feel if there is any play.
No play in the CV. Its solid. Boots are intact. No play in anything. Reseating the wheel and torquing the nuts again seemed to have fixed it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jetfixr1

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does it make noise with the wheels turned and the wheel dismounted? Have you tried that yet?
Yes. Its silent. Only way it clicks is when you turn and more weight is on that wheel. Im going to assume the nuts back off slightly because retorquing always fixes it. If it happens again I will swap the lug nuts to a different tire and see if they are the issue.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
Yes. Its silent. Only way it clicks is when you turn and more weight is on that wheel. Im going to assume the nuts back off slightly because retorquing always fixes it. If it happens again I will swap the lug nuts to a different tire and see if they are the issue.
That is…strange. Can definitely hear it in your video. Have you measured the torque again before you retorque them?

OP
OP
jetfixr1

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is…strange. Can definitely hear it in your video. Have you measured the torque again before you retorque them?
Yea I tried to retorque it before removing it and they turned about a 1/10th of a rotation. Ill see if the clicking comes back.

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Maybe the wheel studs aren't fully seated? It is really strange that lug nuts would get so loose that the wheel makes noise.

OP
OP
jetfixr1

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe the wheel studs aren't fully seated? It is really strange that lug nuts would get so loose that the wheel makes noise.
You know, I actually did not think to look at the back if the studs! I I will take the wheel back off tomorrow and see what I find.
Sponsored