• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Chest fridge for frunk

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
I’ve been thinking about a refrigerator / freezer that would be chest style to store in the frunk for tailgating and beach trips. Anyone have any thoughts in this or suggestions on prospective units?

I'm thinking this would be way better than a cooler full of ice.
Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Ditto. I'd love to be able to just pull over and grab a nice cold bottle of water any time I want.

OP
OP

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I figured I post it here and see if anyone has experience but will also research camping gear.

OP
OP

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
There's tons of options on a quick google search but would enjoy hearing anyone's experience with a particular unit.

They run quite a range in pricing as well.

Here's a less expensive unit.

Here's an expensive unit

I'm not shy to spend appropriately for the right unit.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I bought the following about 2 weeks ago and have been testing it at home and on the road since:

BougeRV CR55 59 Quart (55L) Portable Refrigerator/Freezer
$529 Amazon $505 with Discount BougeRV

Been great so far. I discussed much about it (and others) on another thread last month.
So far I like:
The Interior Size and Baskets
The Ability to switch from Freeze and Fridge
Low Power Consumption
The App
Light Weight and Mobile and Quiet
Stays Close to Set Temps and 0 to Set Temp in about 20 Minutes

Let me know any questions.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Do you think it will be safe to operate within the confines of the frunk or should I strap it in the bed?

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Do you think it will be safe to operate within the confines of the frunk or should I strap it in the bed?
It weights about 40# and I would see no problem - should not have to strap down but it will take a lot of room in the Frunk. I plan for back seat of Lightning.

Because of the compressor tech they advise letting sit for a few minutes powered down after moving but I have found that to be no problem.

Can buy with battery attachment for another $100. Has inlet for solar panel power also.

It is 24 in. tall and opening the top adds another foot. I am using in the back seat of my Escape and no problems accessing from front seat. I am using to transport groceries home. Tried with bunch of ice cream @90 degrees last week and all still solid when I got home. Then just lifted out of back seat and wheeled into house and unloaded groceries and frozen.

It says fine all the time with any shaking. Also OK all the time up to 5% tilt and temp up to 35 Degrees Tilt.

Good Warranty all Parts.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
See Thread:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ooler-vs-mini-fridge.10314/page-2#post-208321

My Previous Post Before I Bought It
:
I have been researching Portable Refrigerator/Freezers for some time for my Lightning. The best are newer designed energy efficient compressor types. They are availabel in sizes from 35 - 75 Qts, $300 - $600 (and much more for the top of the line Dometics).
Each will have various exterior sizes, internal refrigerator/freezer sizes (and even some with removable partitions), prices, and energy draws (45-90 watts). Several have wheels and adjustible handles. Most can use 120/240v or 12v or solar or their own battery.

Best brands are Dometic (Expensive), Bodega and Bouge RV, and Costway (Budget).
I could not afford Dometic, reviews were not as good for Costway and Bodega, and 59 Qts was the best size for my use.

My pick is the BougeRV 12 Volt Car Refrigerator Dual Zone, Portable Freezer Fridge APP Control, 59 Quart (55L) Compressor Freezer Fridge ($519.99 at Amazon)($529.99 and 10% off with code at Bougerv.com and free shipping)

My Reasons:
External Dimensions 28"L x 18.1"W x 22.5"H
Compartment (2) Dimensions 7.9"L x 12.2"W x 11.7"H and 10.6"L x 12.2"W x 18.6"H

Dual Zone Refrigeration
Portability at about 40 lbs. and adjustable handles, and comes with Two Removable Baskets
External and Internal Sizes (Can fit nicely either in the Frunk or Fold-Down Back Seat)
It has two compartments which you can control temp independently. It can be both a refrigerator and a freezer at the same time but it also can be a fridge/fridge, fridge/freezer, freezer/freezer so you can cool drinks and chill meat, etc at the same time.
It has an App where you can control the temps, setting the mode, turn on/off this car refrigerator all from your phone, and instructions are also mounted on the exterior below the touch controls

Built In LED Lights

The Maximum Tilt Angle is about 30°~45° although after being moved you must let compressor gas settle before re-plugging in

Two Energy Modes - ECO(45W)/MAX(60W) cooling mode, LED lighting, 45dB low noise, USB for charging electronic equipment, chopping board for cutting food
If left plugged in it will use about 1 KW/Day

Two Year Warranty for the Compressor and all other accessories

This Model has been on the market for less than two years and is marketed to RV'ers

I can use this on long trips or to bring home groceries.

OP
OP

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
@Sdctcher thanks for all of the info. I really appreciate it. I think this may be the one for me.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
@Sdctcher thanks for all of the info. I really appreciate it. I think this may be the one for me.
You are welcome. OK to ask any other questions.

In your research read all the reviews/comments @Amazon but be sure they are talking about the 59 Liter model and reviews are recent.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091TNK2W...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

https://www.bougerv.com/products/59-quart-portable-refrigerator-freezer

Ford F-150 Lightning Chest fridge for frunk Bouge.PNG

I bought from Bouge site because of the 12% off and free shipping. Shipped from Walnut, CA (about a week to the Midwest) FedEx. After signing up for account they will spam to death with other products so I used my secondary gmail account and put to spam after delivery.

The only problem I have had is slight with lifting empty bulky into vehicle and I pull out full baskets before lifting out.

The controls on the app are much easier to use than the controls on the unit. Both are touch.

On Max Cool the temp stays closer than on ECO but I have only been using big side Freeze and small size Fridge right now. Will be testing other combinations soon. Have not yet used my solar panels to plug in.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I'll go against the flow and say that a fridge for tailgating and beach trips would be less convenient than a cooler. The cooler can be easily moved around if your site is away from your truck, or if you wanted to use the frunk or bed for something else. Even a so-so cooler will keep drinks cold for many hours. A really good one will do it for days, and coolers often make good impromptu seats. Also obvious is the large price difference. You probably already have a cooler.

If you're camping or want to hold something other than drinks, a fridge could be nice. Melted ice could ruin the packaging, and it allows you to use packaging that isn't water tight. For an outing that lasts longer than half a day or so, a refrigerator would be nice. I'd like to have bacon and eggs, burgers, hotdogs, cold brew coffee, creamer, etc. on hand during a camping trip and not have to shake or wipe things dry.

OP
OP

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
@beatle for me tailgating is exactly tailgating. My stuff is all contained within my parking spot so I’d just open the frunk and not be moving it.

The same for the beach the truck comes on with me and I drop the tailgate.

The other item I would use it for is some road trips we usually get rooms with kitchen pantry so having food, especially for my dog who eats raw food is very handy. A cooler can’t keep that stuff frozen if very cold for a week or two at a clip.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I don’t know if a compressor based option would be good for the frunk. There’s not a ton of room for the excess heat to escape to since the frunk is sealed. I would expect the bed would be a far better option since there will be airflow even with a bed cover.

OP
OP

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I don’t know if a compressor based option would be good for the frunk. There’s not a ton of room for the excess heat to escape to since the frunk is sealed. I would expect the bed would be a far better option since there will be airflow even with a bed cover.
This was what I was thinking / concerned about. Using the bed is fine for me—I would just strap it in place.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I have paid attention to the heat output on my unit. The only time I notice much is on start up and when I put items in that need to be frozen from soft. Otherwise it is pretty much stasis.
Sponsored