• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dangerous B&O sound system issue

B&O sound system issues?

• Total voters

Audiolover

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 2021 PowerBoost with the B&O sound system and about 2500 miles on the truck. A week ago I was driving and decided to turn the audio on. As soon as I hit the screen button for CarPlay the system went crazy and started blaring a horrible sound at full volume. Scared the @#$% out of me. It wouldn't respond to any controls so I pulled over into a parking lot. I figured if I shut the truck off it would at least stop - wrong. I turned the truck off, got out, shut the door, messed with the FOB and no change. I finally got back in and drove the 4-5 miles home with my ears plugged and steering with my knee as much as possible (got some really interesting looks from a few people on the way). When I got home I pulled the battery and it finally stopped after a minute or so. I reconnected the battery and as soon as I opened the door it started again. Disconnected the battery again and this time it took maybe 5 minutes to stop, maybe because of the aux 12V battery in the cab. It was dark out so once it finally stopped I just left it in the driveway. I can't tell you how loud it was - like military crowd control loud. The videos attached show it but I think it overwhelmed the mic on my phone and it doesn't convey it well. My ears were ringing for over two hours after my short drive home.

The next morning I pulled the fuse for the amp and took it to the dealer. They had it this whole past week and were not able to reproduce the problem despite driving it and cycling the sound system on and off many times. I made it very clear that this isn't just a weird problem, it's a serious safety issue. They didn't disagree. I requested that they replace whatever in the system was most likely to be the cause which I assumed would be the amp but who knows. They denied the request and said they couldn't do anything about it, so I just have to pick up the truck today. This really sucks because I don't trust it now. I'll have to keep the fuse panel cover off with some kind of handle attached to the amp fuse in case it does it again. It's not easy to get to and I need a quick stop option if it does it again. I'm also concerned that the speakers got damaged but according to the dealer they are fine. We'll see... This whole thing is just a totally unacceptable situation.

I just wanted to post this to document it in case it's not an isolated incident. The dealer said if it does it again to just pull the amp fuse and not disconnect the battery so they might be able to diagnose it. They think the overnight battery disconnect reset everything which makes sense but it doesn't give me any confidence in the thing going forward.
I had this issue happen in my 23 Lightning. Changing the sound settings from stereo to surround made it stop. I am in the process of upgrading the sound system so if this happens with mucho power it will be devastating. Iā€™m bringing up to Ford next week when it goes in for Recallā€™s
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I had this issue happen in my 23 Lightning. Changing the sound settings from stereo to surround made it stop. I am in the process of upgrading the sound system so if this happens with mucho power it will be devastating. Iā€™m bringing up to Ford next week when it goes in for Recallā€™s
I've never had the issue in a Lariat. What are you doing to the system, complete replacement or select upgrades?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
If you're replacing the whole system including the factory B&O amp, it will not happen again. Ford released an update that was supposed to fix this, but I can tell you of at least one person who got the DSP update and this happened again after the fact.

I have the B&O Unleashed and it happened to me twice. In my case, I have two 12"s in an under-seat box and I replaced the door speakers with aftermarket ones, but kept the stock amp. Both times it happened to me was with the subwoofers in place, and both times it happened, I almost soiled myself. That initial popping sound was LOUD! I thought it blew my subs, but fortunately they were still intact.

Audiolover

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Engineer
I've never had the issue in a Lariat. What are you doing to the system, complete replacement or select upgrades?
All the speakers (apart from the headrest and overhead) and replace the amp with something substantial. Mosconi Pro 8/30 and Audison speakers in doors, and A pillars Gladen Pro 80ā€™s in the dash and a Audison 10ā€ sub. Found out today that most of the speaker wires are wrong color code.

AI_Speed

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Investor
Meanwhile was anyone getting recorded errors that Ford service could act on?

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
All the speakers (apart from the headrest and overhead) and replace the amp with something substantial. Mosconi Pro 8/30 and Audison speakers in doors, and A pillars Gladen Pro 80ā€™s in the dash and a Audison 10ā€ sub. Found out today that most of the speaker wires are wrong color code.
It would be odd they would change for '23, but there are diagrams around for the '22's I know.

I did not have the unleashed, but replaced with JL Audio amps and Focal speakers. All of the wires matched what I was expecting and found in diagrams.

Let me see what I can find for the stereo wiring I found.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
With your VIN, I should be able to find the wiring diagrams for your truck in PTS.

Asy99

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Well this just happened to me in my 22 Lightning Lariat. I figured others probably experienced similar and first place i checked. Loud bass popping sounds when i turned truck on. Volume all the way down stopped the noise. I messed around a little bit and when i switched from the ā€˜surroundā€™ mode to ā€˜stereoā€™ the popping went away. Music sounds neutered now though so i guess Iā€™m taking it in to have looked at.
Sponsored