• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dangerous B&O sound system issue

B&O sound system issues?

• Total voters

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
There is a fuse in the passenger footwell for the Amp. Identify it and get a set of fuse pullers (I don't recall if there was one inside the cover of the fuse box or not) That should like it.
Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Is this the first (and only) Lariat to experience this?

Do you have an upgraded stereo to where you have B&O Unleashed in your Lariat (is that even possible)?
I can’t speak for any other Lariat owners but I definitely don’t have the Unleashed B&O stereo. If I did maybe the truck would sound better than my minivan’s stock stereo 😅

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I can’t speak for any other Lariat owners but I definitely don’t have the Unleashed B&O stereo. If I did maybe the truck would sound better than my minivan’s stock stereo 😅
Unleashed was not available in the Lariat and there is no reason to pay extra for that upgrade anyway. Save your money and put it in aftermarket.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
It has come to my attention a solution is in the works, while we wait, there things to consider which have already been pointed out:
  1. Change the audio input source
  2. Pull the Audio fuse
  3. Shut off & evacuate the truck, close the door and wait ~5 minutes to sleep mode.
  4. Disconnect the 12v battery.
Consider a quick disconnect like this.
Ford F-150 Lightning Dangerous B&O sound system issue 1668655568934

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
It has come to my attention a solution is in the works, while we wait, there things to consider which have already been pointed out:
  1. Change the audio input source
  2. Pull the Audio fuse
  3. Shut off & evacuate the truck, close the door and wait ~5 minutes to sleep mode.
  4. Disconnect the 12v battery.
Consider a quick disconnect like this.
1668655568934.png
I was actually considering installing this as a quick, general, way to reset the truck if needed.

Are there any negatives to adding one of these to the negative 12v terminal?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I was actually considering installing this as a quick, general, way to reset the truck if needed.

Are there any negatives to adding one of these to the negative 12v terminal?
It could reset the 12v system BMS, but that would also happen simply disconnecting the negative terminal cable, do not alter the wiring of the BMS connection, place this disconnect between the battery and the lead assembly

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
It could reset the 12v system BMS, but that would also happen simply disconnecting the negative terminal cable, do not alter the wiring of the BMS connection, place this disconnect between the battery and the lead assembly
...and that's why this forum is an awesome place.

Thank you.

iokua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER / 2002 F350
Subscribed.

Thanks for sharing this info. I now have a 'loud noise kit' in my truck just in case.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I just want to say thank you for all who have brought attention to this issue and shared your own experiences, however terrible and unfortunate they may be. It's only because of your efforts that this has any chance of making Ford finally take action.

I have numerous health issues that affect my quality of life, but am still lucky enough to have maintained extremely sensitive and good hearing. Sound is one of the things I can still freely enjoy and something that I most cherish in life. If this were to happen to me, I can't describe the immeasurably devastating hit it would deal to my already low quality of life.

This is flat out unacceptable and @Ford Motor Company NEEDS to address this. Your shiny new flagship electric vehicle is causing permanent hearing damage to your customers while they're simply driving down the road listening to music. There are no words to describe how unconscionable that is.

As for me, I will be wearing high fidelity protective ear plugs in the truck from now on and if I get tired of that, I might just pull the fuse and put my Bluetooth speaker in the backseat. Honestly, even the fact that I'm having to entertain the possibility of resorting to that solution is just pathetic on a brand new 2022 vehicle.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
It won't reset the BMS, the BMS must be reset either through Forscan, FDRS or the easy manual no-scanner technique.

With the truck in accessory mode (push the start button without a foot on the brake):
- flash the high beams 5 times
- depess the brake pedal 3 times
- wait up to 15 seconds and watch the battery icon on the instrument panel, it should flash several times.

Congratulations, you've now reset your BMS.

This should only be necessary when replacing the battery or potentially reconnecting the battery after it's been charged externally without passing through the BMS.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
With the truck in accessory mode (push the start button without a foot on the brake):
- flash the high beams 5 times
- depess the brake pedal 3 times
- wait up to 15 seconds and watch the battery icon on the instrument panel, it should flash several times.

Congratulations, you've now reset your BMS.

This should only be necessary when replacing the battery or potentially reconnecting the battery after it's been charged externally without passing through the BMS.
Thanks for the self service tip!!

hahahano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Any updates here @Ford Motor Company ? I have been too scared to drive my truck with kids in it for fear of this issue occurring, so I’ve been using my Tesla as a daily driver. If this happened with my little ones in it, they would never want to get into the Lightning again. I would much prefer to be daily driving the Lightning and it’s super lame to not be able to use it.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Has this been reported to NHTSA? If you do, you should be sure to note both the extreme volume level (similar to that used by law enforcement sonic crowd-control systems which are intended to disable their targets - in other words, it poses a real risk of loss of control of the truck) and the spreadsheet of other occurrences.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Any updates here @Ford Motor Company ? I have been too scared to drive my truck with kids in it for fear of this issue occurring, so I’ve been using my Tesla as a daily driver. If this happened with my little ones in it, they would never want to get into the Lightning again. I would much prefer to be daily driving the Lightning and it’s super lame to not be able to use it.
Hey there! I can look into your Lightning’s sound system concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Hey there! I can look into your Lightning’s sound system concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?
I do strongly encourage everyone who has experienced this extreme noise event to provide the requested VIN and dealership information to Ford.

However, to help set your expectations, I have provided my information via private message to two different Ford representatives who are on this forum and the Gen14 forum. They requested additional details, which I provided, and one representative advised me to take my truck to the dealership. I did take my 2022 Lightning to the dealership. It was inside the shop for 1/2 of one day and outside in the parking lot for 3-1/2 days. They said they found 2 blown speakers. I have heard absolutely NOTHING else from Ford or the dealership ... except, the Service Manager at the dealership questioned why I was still driving my 4 month old $105,000 truck.

I also strongly encourage everyone who has experienced this extreme noise event to file a complaint with NHTSA.
Sponsored