• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Extra batteries option for Lightning?

Loki

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit Connect
Occupation
Builder
Why not have more batteries available in the "build" options for the Lightning for extended travel needs?
Sponsored

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Its not as simple as adding in bigger batteries. Tesla learned this early on.

The platform is designed around specific numbers of cells in the battery. They have to manage cooling, charging time, weight, spacing for mechanical - lots of different factors.

Also, the more options they have for batteries, the more complex the manufacturing process and scheduling. Rivian started with 3 battery size options but had to reduce that to 2 due to supply, complexiting and scheduling.

Dont forget, the F-150 is the Ford crown jewels so they are going to take the absolute least risky approach. In this instance, one battery size that has reasonable range and at an attractive price and a larger exteneded battery for those who want it and dont mind paying a lot more. As the battery size and price go up, the addressable market will shrink. They are trying to hit the sweet spot with 2 battery sizes.

I would not be surprised to see larger packs in the future, once the market is proven.

Also, we dont know the exact range yet. I am firmly in the camp that hopes Ford is under promising and over delivering. But we wont know for sure until some 3rd party like Sandy Munro gets one and tests the bajeezus out of it and eventually does a tear-down. Right now we have marketing fluff and conjecture.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
How often do you drive more than 350 miles (5 to 6 hours) without stopping for a break to eat or hit the bathroom?
Answer = NO ONE.

Most people can do just fine with the smaller pack, charging every night while they sleep. The larger pack is offered for those that have range anxiety.

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
A larger battery pack is also useful for people that do drive all day, just not all at once. If you are running around town all day, you can use up a battery quickly. EVs are most efficient when driving at the same speed for long distances. When you start doing many smaller trips, stop and go traffic, constantly accelerating and decelerating, you lose alot of charge fast.

RangerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger
A larger battery pack is also useful for people that do drive all day, just not all at once. If you are running around town all day, you can use up a battery quickly. EVs are most efficient when driving at the same speed for long distances. When you start doing many smaller trips, stop and go traffic, constantly accelerating and decelerating, you lose alot of charge fast.
I’ve read many EVs often get better city MPGe w regen etc vs highway wind resistance (agree that they are more efficient at steady speeds otherwise). Maybe even worse highway for the Lightning; guess we’ll see what numbers it gets.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSe...ear2=2021&vtype=Electric&pageno=1&rowLimit=50

Sponsored

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
I’ve read many EVs often get better city MPGe w regen etc vs highway wind resistance (agree that they are more efficient at steady speeds otherwise). Maybe even worse highway for the Lightning; guess we’ll see what numbers it gets.

https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSe...ear2=2021&vtype=Electric&pageno=1&rowLimit=50
I can only speak to my experience with my Tesla Model X. Short, quick trips kills my range more than sustained speed for longer drives. Also, being in Seattle (for now) with all the hills, is terrible for range.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I can only speak to my experience with my Tesla Model X. Short, quick trips kills my range more than sustained speed for longer drives.
Most of my trips in MME are around 5 miles a pop, and my range definitely beats EPA.

Also, being in Seattle (for now) with all the hills, is terrible for range.
That would be true if you only went uphill. You should gain range when you go downhill.

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Most of my trips in MME are around 5 miles a pop, and my range definitely beats EPA.

That would be true if you only went uphill. You should gain range when you go downhill.
True, but the system is not 100% efficient - you always have losses, even with regen braking. Also, my Tesla is now 6 years old. Technology always advances. I am pretty confident that Ford has better efficiency than my 6 year old Tesla. As I said, I can only comment on my experience with my vehicle.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
How often do you drive more than 350 miles (5 to 6 hours) without stopping for a break to eat or hit the bathroom?
Answer = NO ONE.
Your expectation is too high for EV's. You need to lower it to less than 200 miles, maybe as low as 150 miles.

Why? Battery degradation, 15-90% range requirement, winter temperature, more than 60mph eats more electricity than EPA rated, plus AC/heating etc.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Answer = NO ONE.

Most people can do just fine with the smaller pack, charging every night while they sleep. The larger pack is offered for those that have range anxiety.
Maybe at 350mi a 40min stop isn't so bad.

But if I have to stop every 150-200mi because of hills, cold weather, etc the stops would be 40min compared to a 10-15min stop I normally would make at a rest area to use the bathroom and stretch. Add to that the fact that now I have to go off the highway to find a working charger it becomes more of an issue.

I really think for EVs to take off someone's gonna realize they need to have DCFC at rest stops where you can easily top off while you run in to use the bathroom. Asking someone to exit off and find a charger on a side street is a bridge too far for a lot of interstate travelers.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Another big thing I think most of us might be forgetting is that the Battery size also has potential performance implications.

The Standard Battery has 426hp.
The Extended Battery has 563hp.

How this translates towards driving experience may be a wash partially due to the increase in GWT with the Extended battery pack.

OP
OP

Loki

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit Connect
Occupation
Builder
Answer = NO ONE.

We frequently drive cross country and whereas we do plan usually 6-8 hour days with "pit stops" along the way, we are pretty spontaneous. prefer blue highways and small towns. The current charging options don't yet allow much assurance we will find a station and we frequently don't want to take the time for even a "quick" charge.

We are rapidly losing a unique industry opportunity for a universal battery size and connection that could well result in a rapid slide-out/slide-in refueling standard that might take 10 minutes or less- as well as removing the caveats of X number of recharges until a new battery must replace the old- at some as yet indeterminate cost.

Having all night to recharge one or all battery packs and simply having a switch to activate a depleted or isolate a discharged pack, particularly with the physical storage available in a pick up or a van doesn't seem much of a stumbling block for extended mileage, does it?
Sponsored