• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford EV Tour Event--Boston: My thoughts and review

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Last Monday I took a drive over to Boston for the Ford EV Tour event. I snagged a reservation to the business oriented event so Ford showed the eTransit as well as the Lightning. But I did get a short ride in the Lightning and up close and personal look.

Below are my impressions, opinions, random thoughts. As always, take it for what its worth.

-- The focus of the event I went to was small business/fleet sales. It is obvious Ford is making a serious play for the fleet market in a way that Tesla, Rivian, Hummer are not. Ford really hyped the low operational cost, the low service cost, the telematics features, the cool work stuff on the truck. They made a huge point that both the eTransit and f150 are based on their ICE counterparts--so toolboxes, covers, accessories will be able to be used on the EVs without difficulty.

-- The eTransit uses the same battery as the MME. (I did not know that). For businesses their is a huge telematics suite for fleet managers. They can monitor driver behavior, charging times, the vehicles have a drive coach and warnings if the drivers are driving badly(aggressive), etc.

-- The power output was great. Demo had several tools running at same time-- a saw, electric cement mixer, work lights, etc.

-- Their was a Lariat an Atlas Blue Lariat on display, a dark red XLT for towing demo, and a grey PRO for the drive course.

-- I was surprised at the quality of the PRO. It felt really nice..much better than a comparable XL model. The vinyl felt like leather, or pleather. It was surprising to me-- did not feel like a stripped or cheap version at all. Also wheels look really nice, I think. I think Ford is underestimating the demand for the PRO.

-- The XLT was very nice also, aside from cloth vs Leather..there did not appear to be that much difference between the XLT and Lariat. I was surprised by the huge screen in all versions..the 12in landscape unit in the PRO and XLT vs the 15in tablet in the Lariat, I actually liked the landscape orientation better. I thought the 15in was a must have for me...but after seeing each in person the difference seemed miniscule.

--Towing demo: the red XLT was hooked up to a 5500lb box trailer. Performance was impressive. When the driver stepped on the throttle it was instant torque. It did not feel like there was anything there. No drama..no revving motor...it just goes. Besides the range issue...this will be a towing monster.

-- The test ride:-- We rode in the PRO version..ER battery so 560hp. All I can say is WOW! I've came back with a big grin on my face. I was(am) hooked. No truck should move that fast. Honestly I've never been thrown back in my seat like that...felt like nothing else. It howled thru the corners like a sports car--surprisingly little body roll. The ride was too short. As I said...I'm hooked.

All in all very good presentation. I would highly encourage one if you can attend.
Sponsored

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Lucky! I was really hoping for a Boston invite. Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the details.

OP
OP
greenne

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I will add that I believe Darren Palmer when he says one "ride" in a Lightning will be what hooks the buyer.

The actual quote was something on the order of the features(frunk, power outlets, etc) is what will get buyers into the showroom..the drive is what will "sell" it.

Linuturk

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onitato.com
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Reservation
Thanks for sharing the towing portion of the demo. I was at the Denver event and they weren't showing off towing.
Sponsored