• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frunk only opens 9 inches / doesn't fully open

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbishop1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
After visiting the dealer for the 4 times in 3 months, they replaced some Frunk module. When I got home and tried the frunk, and it now only opens about 9 inches (see photo). I can open it manually the rest of the way. I tried to set the open height by holding the button, and getting the tone, but it still doesn't open all the way. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on getting it to fully open automatically?

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk only opens 9 inches / doesn't fully open Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 11.26.06 AM
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: GDN

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
After visiting the dealer for the 4 times in 3 months, they replaced some Frunk module. When I got home and tried the frunk, and it now only opens about 9 inches (see photo). I can open it manually the rest of the way. I tried to set the open height by holding the button, and getting the tone, but it still doesn't open all the way. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on getting it to fully open automatically?

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 11.26.06 AM.png
I have this same issue. Out of the blue it started doing this. Weird. I manually lift it to the max height and try to reset per instruction. No success yet. If either of us finds the fix let's post it here.

cwinn13

First Name
CW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT SR
Took it back to the dealer. They had to replace a part and reconfigure. Have not had a problem since.
I am having the same issue you were. Frunk worked fine at the dealer, but has not opened properly since bringing the truck home. I've already tried the resets as suggested on other threads with no luck.

Do you have the details on the part they replaced? It would likely save me some time/hassle with the dealer if I can schedule service and provide them with that info in advance.

AnticitizenG8r

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I am having the same issue you were. Frunk worked fine at the dealer, but has not opened properly since bringing the truck home. I've already tried the resets as suggested on other threads with no luck.

Do you have the details on the part they replaced? It would likely save me some time/hassle with the dealer if I can schedule service and provide them with that info in advance.
Unfortunately, I'm having the exact same issue. I've had the truck for about a week now and just noticed the frunk not opening all the way yesterday after it worked the first few days. The dealer did send a mobile technician out last week to complete the 23B57 (High Voltage Battery Module) CSP. I'm not sure if that was related.

I hope someone else has seen this and knows of an easy fix. I've tried reprograming the height both above and below the 9 inches. I've tried the reseting with the emergency release, and just about everything I can find on the forums.

Sponsored

cwinn13

First Name
CW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT SR
Unfortunately, I'm having the exact same issue. I've had the truck for about a week now and just noticed the frunk not opening all the way yesterday after it worked the first few days. The dealer did send a mobile technician out last week to complete the 23B57 (High Voltage Battery Module) CSP. I'm not sure if that was related.

I hope someone else has seen this and knows of an easy fix. I've tried reprograming the height both above and below the 9 inches. I've tried the reseting with the emergency release, and just about everything I can find on the forums.
I took mine into a dealer for the CSP update and asked them to fix the frunk as well and they were able to. They claimed to have just done the same reprogramming trick as I was doing >shrug<. But try this if you haven’t already: Open it via the button or key fob, manually raise it all the way and hold the button until it beeps to reset….then, instead of pushing the button, manually push it down and all the way shut and see if that completes the reset. I saw this processed discussed elsewhere and wonder if that’s actually what the dealer did to get it working.

AnticitizenG8r

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I took mine into a dealer for the CSP update and asked them to fix the frunk as well and they were able to. They claimed to have just done the same reprogramming trick as I was doing >shrug<. But try this if you haven’t already: Open it via the button or key fob, manually raise it all the way and hold the button until it beeps to reset….then, instead of pushing the button, manually push it down and all the way shut and see if that completes the reset. I saw this processed discussed elsewhere and wonder if that’s actually what the dealer did to get it working.
Unfortunately I tried it again as you described with no luck :(

Evcentry23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 Lightning XLT SR
I had the exact same 9-inch open problem after one or two uses of frunk. I have tried every trick I find on the forum with no luck.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Took it back to the dealer. They had to replace a part and reconfigure. Have not had a problem since.
What was the part?

@AnticitizenG8r
Crazy that you were not able to reset the maximum opening height after you opened the frunk to a higher position.

p336 in 2022 manual
"1. Open the frunk.
2. Stop the frunk movement by pressing the control button when it reaches the desired height.
Note: Once the frunk stops moving, you can manually move it to the desired height.
3. Press and hold the control button until a tone sounds, indicating programming is complete.
Note: You cannot program the height if the frunk position is too low.
Note: You can only use the control button to program the height at the moment.

4. The frunk now opens at the programmed height. To change the programmed height, repeat the steps.
Note: You can fully open the frunk by manually pushing it upward to the maximum open position if it opens in a lower position.
Note: The system recalls the new programmed height until you reprogram it, even if you disconnect the battery."

Last edited:

AnticitizenG8r

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just wanted to give everyone an update from my end. None of the solutions (official or unofficial) worked. I finally took the truck to the dealer to get this looked at and they were able to repair it. According to the Service Advisor, the Tech had to reinitialize the frunk module and have it relearn the limits.

The service write up says "Performed self test. No DTC's present. Referred to general procedures in WSM Power Hood Initialization - Electric / FHCM self test. No DTC's present. Performed Power Hood Initialization, and adjusted electric frunk height. Condition is no longer present."

I did not try, but believe it may be possible to start the frunk module initialization in FORSCAN and avoid the trip to the dealer for those of you that are able. It's worth a shot anyway.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.