• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

My Frunk and Tailgate opens without Key fob or PAAK!

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I've noticed this lately. I keep my phone and fob away from truck while I wash my truck because rinsing over the door handles makes the truck doors lock and unlock, so I just leave them out of range. While out of range, the water doesn't affect locks but the frunk lid and tailgate STILL opens if I push button on gate or lid. If I press the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons on keyless entry pad, that locks the truck, and only then will the frunk NOT open by pressing button. In other words, if I accidently forget to lock the truck, anyone can walk up and open my frunk and tailgate. Is this the way Ford wants this to operate, or is my truck not functioning properly?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I've noticed this lately. I keep my phone and fob away from truck while I wash my truck because rinsing over the door handles make the truck lock and unlock, so I just leave them out of range. While out of range, the water doesn't affect locks but the frunk lid and tailgate STILL opens if I push button on gate or lid. If I press the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons on keyless entry pad, that locks the truck, and only then will the frunk NOT open by pressing button. In other words, if I accidently forget to lock the truck, anyone can walk up and open my frunk and tailgate. Is this the way Ford wants this to operate, or is my truck not functioning properly?

Thanks.
Yeah, they work like doors. You can lock them or unlock them. The frunk is a new concept so Ford could have treated it like a trunk but most lift gates on SUVs will open if unlocked so you could go either way. The locking tail gate is a relatively modern concept, the first 30 years I owned pickups the tailgates weren’t lockable.

OP
OP
Lightning Rod

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Why wouldn't they open if the truck is unlocked?

Just like starting and operating the truck, I would like the frunk to open when the fob or PAAK is in close proximity. If your truck is unlocked, is it ok for anyone open your door, push START and they could just drive away? No. The security feature is the fob or PAAK.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Just like starting and operating the truck, I would like the frunk to open when the fob or PAAK is in close proximity. If your truck is unlocked, is it ok for anyone open your door, push START and they could just drive away? No. The security feature is the fob or PAAK.
While they can't drive it away, they can sure open it. And could use the frunk button inside to open the frunk in that case.

Personally, I like the current setup. If I want things secure, I lock it. If I want easy access for me and anyone else around, I leave it unlocked. I understand wanting it differently, but I see it a lot like the lift gate on an SUV.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Unless you phone or FOB is inside the truck, they can't drive it away. Sounds like you should just get in the habit of locking the door whenever you exit.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
While they can't drive it away, they can sure open it. And could use the frunk button inside to open the frunk in that case.

Personally, I like the current setup. If I want things secure, I lock it. If I want easy access for me and anyone else around, I leave it unlocked. I understand wanting it differently, but I see it a lot like the lift gate on an SUV.
I would make one change: I want the frunk button to close the frunk if the doors are locked.