• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Illinois Front License Plates? Any news on the law changing in the new year?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
So, I took delivery of my Lightning just before Thanksgiving. The dealer told me that they did not want to install the front license plate, as it required drilling into the bumper and they had heard that the front license plate law is set to change on January 1st. Well, I was just the lucky recipient of a ticket from Chicago parking enforcement because I do not have the front license plate installed on my truck. I am thinking about contesting the ticket if the law is actually changing. Does anyone know for sure if there is legislation going into effect on January 1st that removes the requirement for the front license plate? I have not been able to find much online about it, other than some articles from back in May when they were discussing that legislation was going to be voted on. I would love to save myself the $60 ticket and save my truck from the drilled holes and the ugly front tag if I can...
Sponsored

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
The dealer told me that they did not want to install the front license plate, as it required drilling into the bumper
Mine said they'd gladly do the drilling.

and they had heard that the front license plate law is set to change on January 1st.
Here's the bill. Looks like it's been kicked back to committee, and even then the law wouldn't take effect until the year after.

I've gotton pulled over once for no front plate, while driving an '88 Crown Victoria. The cops usually don't care unless they can use it as probable cause.

OP
OP

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I ended up getting one of these tow hook mounts to avoid any future tickets for not having a plate on the front.

Ford F-150 Lightning Illinois Front License Plates?  Any news on the law changing in the new year? 20221217_130510

khatch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150, 2021 Bronco, 2023 Lightning
Is that a Mishimoto mount?

Sponsored

khatch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just ordered it as well. Thanks.

OP
OP

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just ordered it as well. Thanks.
Be sure to install it in the reverse of what the instructions say to do to ensure you avoid blocking the sensors. Have some needle nosed pliers handy for the install, unless you have super skinny fingers to get the nuts inside the small space above the tow hooks.

khatch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Be sure to install it in the reverse of what the instructions say to do to ensure you avoid blocking the sensors. Have some needle nosed pliers handy for the install, unless you have super skinny fingers to get the nuts inside the small space above the tow hooks.
Thanks again! I was checking out the area before ordering to see if there was something else that would work, either cheaper or a diy and I didn't see any good options. This mount seemed like the only one that connects to an area that's easily accessible.
Sponsored