• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

"Motor Coolant Over Temperature"

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
To all the folks that have this issue, please share what version software you are running. My last update is not installing and I have been trying to force the update but if it is going to introduce this problem, I will back off.

Also, where you charging before you saw this message?
Sponsored

captpreble

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat Standard battery
Occupation
Business owner
I just had this happen last night. The warning came on after the truck had been sitting for five hours on a cool, evening. There was no chance the coolant was actually hot. I drove it 1.5 miles home and parked it overnight. Warning is gone now.

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
No overheating, but the coolant level on my new Lightning was delivered from the factory at the minimum level. I had it topped off by the dealer during a visit for other warranty items.
Mine was too, very low indeed. Just filled it up and it's been fine ever since. I hope that's the worst thing I have to deal with :)

Ford F-150 Lightning "Motor Coolant Over Temperature" Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 2.50.24 PM

TSR55

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Occupation
VA
I just had this happen last night. The warning came on after the truck had been sitting for five hours on a cool, evening. There was no chance the coolant was actually hot. I drove it 1.5 miles home and parked it overnight. Warning is gone now.
I just experienced the same thing. Truck had been sitting for several hours. Immediately on starting the motor coolant warning light came on and the reduced power indicator as well. I had just pulled onto the highway so I had to drive a few miles to get to safe spot. Turned the truck off for a few minutes then restarted with same result. Had to keep on driving a bit further and in that that time indicator gradually went from red to yellow to blue. Drove short distance this morning without recurrence, but makes me nervous. Coolant level is fine. Talked with my dealer and they have had no service updates from Ford regarding this problem but it seems from reading these posts that it is not uncommon? I have an appointment with dealer next week, but will have to keep driving in the meantime. (hope Ford is monitoring this thread)

pjorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Just experienced the same issue with my 2023 Lariat ER. Truck has about 7,500 miles on it, was in the shop for 39 days early summer to have a battery module replaced under 23H01.

I got in this evening to drive to dinner. Truck lives in my garage, and in any case it’s been quite cool today (65°F or so). Absolutely no chance the coolant was warmer than ambient temps.

My story is identical to everyone else’s but for the record:

I started the truck, pulled out maybe 7 feet before I got the “motor coolant over temperature” dash alert. I also noticed before the alert that the truck sort of stuttered as I applied the accelerator. I shut truck off, waited 10 seconds, restarted, same alert.

Next I shut the truck off, got out and looked under the hood at the coolant reservoir. It’s well below the “min” line, as some others have reported. Checked under the truck and in the garage, no obvious signs of a coolant leak.

Got back in the truck, perhaps 2 minutes had passed. Truck now in yellow temp range. I put it back in the garage and we took a different car to dinner.

I will check when I get home to see if the warnings have resolved. At the very least I probably need to visit the dealer to have the low coolant checked out.

Someone mentioned a software update resolves this. I haven’t had an OTA update applied since early June, before my truck was in for a month for the module replacement. (I don’t have the SoC digits yet).

Maybe software will help, but how does a low coolant condition not result in a dash warning by itself?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Maybe software will help, but how does a low coolant condition not result in a dash warning by itself?
There is no level sensor on the truck.

pjorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Update: upon returning home (perhaps two hours elapsed), I started the truck and all was normal. Temps were actually a tiny bit below dead center, which I don't believe I've ever seen before (though I don't pay close attention).

There is no level sensor on the truck.
Well. That explains it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
In earlier posts [20, 25 & 28] our trusted internal source mentions there is a data anomaly which causes this error, it will be fixed in a future update.

pjorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
In earlier posts [20, 25 & 28] our trusted internal source mentions there is a data anomaly which causes this error, it will be fixed in a future update.
I did read those but misinterpreted to understand that the fix was already available, but I simply hadn't received it OTA yet. Sounds like, in fact, it's not out yet.

Thanks for clarifying!

Sponsored

2sleep

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue, 2008 Prius
Occupation
Retired
So I'm wondering if the fluid is at the minimum mark when cold, does it expand to the top when it's hot?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Thus one happened to me this morning but with a twist.

I drove 5 miles to the school bus yard and parked, then did my bus run (1 hour). When I returned to my truck and powered up, got the alerts, power reduced, limp mode, etc.

Figured it might be a sensor problem (pegged after sitting an hour? Doesn't seem right). Drove home in limpy mode, pulled into the garage.

Shut the truck off and powered back up, same alerts and notices. Heard some clicking noises. Powered down and back up again. Heard more clicking noises followed by the familiar start-up of the coolant pump, clicking went away.

I then watched as the red retreated to yellow, then retreated to the center of the range.

Based on the clicking noises during the first few times, then the temperature retreat when the coolant pump finally started, I took it to the dealer.

(Gotta deal with those monthly Active Air Dam System Fault messages anyway, along with the recalls...)

Will keep you posted.