• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Motor Coolant Over Temperature Warning – NOT Just A Software Glitch

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
On a 50 degree day, I was five miles into a planned 250-mile foliage tour through sparsely populated northwest Maine, I got the error message, “Motor Coolant Over Temperature”. There was the red symbol in the bottom right of the dash. And at the top of the dash, the temperature gage went from green “normal” to “yellow” instantly (not gradually.) I checked the motor coolant reservoir and it was below the “low” line. Luckily, there was a tiny Ford dealer 5 miles away. They provided me with a gallon of Ford Motorcraft Yellow Antifreeze / Coolant. I filled the reservoir to half way between “low” and “high” and the problem instantly went away. Drove 250 more miles in the next 6 hours and it’s fine. So, I my mind, the fix wasn’t a software fix, but a coolant fix. Lariat, 10,300 miles, June 2022 delivery.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FirstF150InCasco

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Did you have to purchase the coolant?
Yes. I would not expect the tiny dealer to foot this bill. The staff was great. The service folks walked me up a flight of stairs to the parts department. And the parts department walked to another level to get a clean container for me to mix the coolant with distilled water.

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
YEP, there are a few of us that had low coolant from the factory. Filled it, and it's been fine ever since.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine is at the low line. I wonder if the temperature change causes it to fluctuate. Currently 3k miles. It was full at delivery

Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
@FirstF150InCasco didn't you recently have a battery module replaced? They have to drain the coolant for that repair

OP
OP
FirstF150InCasco

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
@FirstF150InCasco didn't you recently have a battery module replaced? They have to drain the coolant for that repair
Amazing that you remember that. Yes I did. But is that the same coolant? Is the coolant associated with the battery the same coolant for the motors? I'm ignorant!!

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Amazing that you remember that. Yes I did. But is that the same coolant? Is the coolant associated with the battery the same coolant for the motors? I'm ignorant!!
Another owner has reported high motor temperature due to air in the coolant system after a battery module replacement. I specifically pointed out coolant air purge as a line item when I delivered my truck to the dealership for replacement of 2 battery modules. The EV Tech reported that he had to perform the air purge multiple times to remove all air from the coolant system. It appears there is an issue with Ford's service instructions for coolant air purge.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
The cooling lines run into the pack, so to remove the pack your coolant was likely drained

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
No, it clearly states it needs to be done. The issue is not doing it
The EV Tech told me that the published air purge procedure did not successfully remove all air, and that he had to repeat it multiple times. I doubt it would have been repeated multiple times if I had not identified it as a line item. I do not have access to the procedure, though.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Watch Weber Auto video at 27:12 for how to purge the air after a module replacement of a Mach E.

Excellent discussion about purging the air from that two bottle system. For a single bottle system the process would be different, but Its takes a long time if done correctly, I imagine a few shops rush the process.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Watch Weber Auto video at 27:12 for how to purge the air after a module replacement of a Mach E.

Excellent discussion about purging the air from that two bottle system. For a single bottle system the process would be different, but Its takes a long time if done correctly, I imagine a few shops rush the process.
Great video! I wonder if the degassing is involved in many of us receiving our Lightnings from the factory with low / minimum coolant levels.

OP
OP
FirstF150InCasco

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
The cooling lines run into the pack, so to remove the pack your coolant was likely drained
Thank you for educating me on this.
Great video! I wonder if the degassing is involved in many of us receiving our Lightnings from the factory with low / minimum coolant levels.
Great video. Thank you for telling us to go to 27:12 to get to the purge info. And you raise a good question about if this could be the cause of why so many of us are getting Lightnings with low coolant levels. I’m hoping someone can answer this new QUESTION: Are there two coolant containers on the F150? The only container I found was in front of the driver, beside the strut that holds up the frunk cover. Is there a second one?