• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

NC Incentives / Rebates / Etc

beerhoffman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SR built
Occupation
Accountant
Hi NC folks, does anyone have information on State or Local incentives for EVs?

I see that Duke has a credit for electrical infrastructure upgrades to homes. It doesn't include cost of charger.

Other than the Fed tax credit, is there anything of interest for NC people?

Thanks all
Sponsored

AkayRiviannnn07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition

I see that Duke has a credit for electrical infrastructure upgrades to homes. It doesn't include cost of charger.

Thanks all
Not that I am aware, definetely not at the state level. I claimed the fed tax credit, credit with my energy provider and federal installation tax credit. I'm on my 3rd ev and I cringe when I get my property tax bill every year due to the extra amount charged by the state to renew my plates.

OP
OP

beerhoffman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SR built
Occupation
Accountant
Not that I am aware, definetely not at the state level. I claimed the fed tax credit, credit with my energy provider and federal installation tax credit. I'm on my 3rd ev and I cringe when I get my property tax bill every year due to the extra amount charged by the state to renew my plates.
Hold up, extra property tax becuase of EV? Is this above what I pay for ICE vehicles? Or you're saying it's more because the vehicle value is more?

Can you clarify. the "federal installation tax credit"?

I'm expecting all I can get is: $7500 EV tax credit on my 2022 - 1040 for the purchase. Also a credit through Duke Energy for up to $1177 for the electrician work and panel upgrade. Is that correct?

AkayRiviannnn07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hold up, extra property tax becuase of EV? Is this above what I pay for ICE vehicles? Or you're saying it's more because the vehicle value is more?

Can you clarify. the "federal installation tax credit"?

I'm expecting all I can get is: $7500 EV tax credit on my 2022 - 1040 for the purchase. Also a credit through Duke Energy for up to $1177 for the electrician work and panel upgrade. Is that correct?
Yes, NC charges an additional 140$ every year you register an ev in NC on top of your value based property tax. And you will have to do weighted plates, which is extra. I wanna say my r1t was like 800ish for the year. 7500 if you purchased after Biden signed the new law. I think the f150 qualifies for everything right now. Prior to Biden signing, it's based on your salary. You have to make enough in salary to owe the government 7500 in taxes to fully claim. When I first installed my charger, there was a federal tax credit for installing a charger at my house and I believe it was 30% of cost back on my taxes, up to 1000 dollars. Just save your receipts. If I have time, I will try to see if I can easily find that year's tax return for the exact name. I don't remember the exact name i used on turbo tax.

Last edited:
OP
OP

beerhoffman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 SR built
Occupation
Accountant
Yes, NC charges an additional 140$ every year you register an ev in NC on top of your value based property tax. And you will have to do weighted plates, which is extra. I wanna say my r1t was like 800ish for the year. 7500 if you purchased after Biden signed the new law. I think the f150 qualifies for everything right now. Prior to Biden signing, it's based on your salary. You have to make enough in salary to owe the government 7500 in taxes to fully claim. When I first installed my charger, there was a federal tax credit for installing a charger at my house and I believe it was 30% of cost back on my taxes, up to 1000 dollars. Just save your receipts. If I have time, I will try to see if I can easily find that year's tax return for the exact name. I don't remember the exact name i used on turbo tax.
Wow, didn't know the "weighted plates" was required and extra. I can understand the extra $140, if that goes into roads and infrastructure, it does make sense, since they get no gas tax from an EV. Less than one month of gas for my current ICE.

I'll keep an eye out for the Fed tax incentive for the charger install. Thanks for that tip.

Sponsored

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
I think you got everything covered. Here's what I'm expecting

1. $7500 federal tax credit
2. Duke Energy "EV Charger Prep Credit" up to $1,117 for the install of the charger. Does not cover the charger cost itself
3. Federal EV Charger Install tax credit which is 30% off the cost of the install and cost of charger.

Since I received the Charge Station Pro with my Lariat, I assume I can't claim a EV charger cost but I'll let my tax guy figure that out.

And yes, Weighted tags is a bummer. I was excited to get some kind of personalized plates on the truck but can't with weighted tags.

As a side not, what weight are you all registering your trucks for? I'm at $7000lb tags right now but that weight is suppose to cover the weight of the vehicle, all its contents, and the weight of any trailers as well. So I know I am technically overweight every time I hook up my trailer.

AkayRiviannnn07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think you got everything covered. Here's what I'm expecting

1. $7500 federal tax credit
2. Duke Energy "EV Charger Prep Credit" up to $1,117 for the install of the charger. Does not cover the charger cost itself
3. Federal EV Charger Install tax credit which is 30% off the cost of the install and cost of charger.

Since I received the Charge Station Pro with my Lariat, I assume I can't claim a EV charger cost but I'll let my tax guy figure that out.

And yes, Weighted tags is a bummer. I was excited to get some kind of personalized plates on the truck but can't with weighted tags.

As a side not, what weight are you all registering your trucks for? I'm at $7000lb tags right now but that weight is suppose to cover the weight of the vehicle, all its contents, and the weight of any trailers as well. So I know I am technically overweight every time I hook up my trailer.
The dmv lady said my r1t shipping weight was 7200 and I did 9000. I read that somewhere rivian was using 9k on their paperwork they submitted but i had to register my truck myself. So I went with it and I don't plan on towing anything.

WangsWorld

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Late to the party but just picked up my Lariat ER. So disappointed in NC for their lack of EV incentives and truthfully, the punishment of the adoption of EVs. I knew there was a specific EV fee to take the place of the gas tax that would technically be paid. Didn't know about the weighted truck rule though.

If anyone is in the Raleigh area though, I'd love to meet up sometime!

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Late to the party but just picked up my Lariat ER. So disappointed in NC for their lack of EV incentives and truthfully, the punishment of the adoption of EVs. I knew there was a specific EV fee to take the place of the gas tax that would technically be paid. Didn't know about the weighted truck rule though.

Welcome to the club! I live southeast of Raleigh in Selma/Micro area but I work in Clayton and am in Raleigh weekly. I've had my lightning since July and have yet to see another one on the road in our area. I did see a Platinum in Morehead over the summer though. So if you see a Red Lariat, it's probably me. Enjoy the truck!

WangsWorld

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Welcome to the club! I live southeast of Raleigh in Selma/Micro area but I work in Clayton and am in Raleigh weekly. I've had my lightning since July and have yet to see another one on the road in our area. I did see a Platinum in Morehead over the summer though. So if you see a Red Lariat, it's probably me. Enjoy the truck!
I'm southwest over in the Apex/Holly Springs area. I'll definitely keep an eye out! I've got an Atlas Blue one so let me know if you end up spotting me somewhere haha.

Sponsored

MadLighting

First Name
STephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lighting

I live in Raleigh Area, I have and XLT ER

MadLighting

First Name
STephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lighting
I live in Clayton Myself I drive a White XLT ER

CoreyConsultant

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning

Thanks all
I was able to get 10% off with no mark up and a pretty good price for install on my charging box for my garage. From Albemarle Ford in Albemarle

MadLighting

First Name
STephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lighting

I have a F150 Lighting in Raligh Area

Taranis

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT w/ extended range
Occupation
Government -- energy policy
Not to be political but it was the Republicans in NC that instituted the extra registration fee for electric vehicles and shot down proposals for state EV incentives. It could have been worse though. Overall it's not bad when you think about it. We're paying a gas tax of 40 cents/gallon in NC. If you drive a vehicle that gets 25 mpg and drive 12,000 mi/year, you are paying approximately $200/year in the gas tax, which goes into the road fund. So the higher registration fee essentially replaces that. As for the federal EV charger tax credit, I don't think we'll be able to get that credit AND the $7500 EV credit on the full truck value. That would be double dipping. For my XLT w/ ER I'm going to end up paying $75k (w/ other options included). That already includes the ER w/ charger and I'm going to take the $7500 credit on that full $75k. If I tried to also take the credit on the charger that would, as I said, be double dipping.
Sponsored