• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Outside Frunk Button not working

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
So wife drove the XLT today that we have had for just over a week. Made a couple of stops. Once used the outside button to open the Frunk and once used the KeyFob since the truck was locked.
When she came home, we attempted to open the Frunk with the button as it was unlocked and in the garage. We have done this many times with no issue, just like her earlier errand. Now the button wont open the Frunk, but the Button on the dash, KeyFob and in the menus will.
We did a power cycle, truck on and off, and The 2 button push, but looks like that just does the screen.

We are hoping that the long sleep overnight will cure the issue.

Anyone else run into this or have a suggestion short of taking it to the dealer? (I'll do that if nothing else works)
Sponsored

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Experienced the same thing the last week or so. The button has worked every time since I took delivery and this week on a couple of occasions it refused to open. The in cab button worked. After coming back to the truck later and unlocking via the door pad the button worked again. This has been a combo of PAAK, key fob in pocket and key fob in car.

OP
OP
LUXMAN

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Experienced the same thing the last week or so. The button has worked every time since I took delivery and this week on a couple of occasions it refused to open. The in cab button worked. After coming back to the truck later and unlocking via the door pad the button worked again. This has been a combo of PAAK, key fob in pocket and key fob in car.
Huh. Weird. I am gonna have to try to keep track of when it works or not. Maybe we can identify a pattern

Sponsored
OP
OP
LUXMAN

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
The Frunk button is like the locking tailgate and the back doors. All the doors need to be unlocked and not just the drivers door for you to open or close the Frunk with the external button.
Ok. Damn. You da man. I had to run right out and test that and sure enough it works. That didn’t even register even though I know the tailgate stays locked until all doors are unlocked. 🤦‍♂️

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
I thought the same thing too when i first got mine. truck was locked and i used fob to pop the frunk. i pressed button on truck to close and it wouldn't go down. Pissed me off for a week until i figured out truck has to be unlocked for those buttons to function.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I thought the same thing too when i first got mine. truck was locked and i used fob to pop the frunk. i pressed button on truck to close and it wouldn't go down. Pissed me off for a week until i figured out truck has to be unlocked for those buttons to function.
I'm not sure if we're describing the same thing or my truck is different for some reason, but I don't have to have any doors unlocked to open the frunk and tailgate with the buttons. If, I have the fob they open/close regardless of the door lock status.

Nevermind, it's probably a Lariat vs XLT thing. Gotta be careful to notice which trim is being discussed.

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
There is a design flaw with the advanced keyless entry, the frunk, and the Blue Cruise package (I know that's something of a wild combo there).

It turns out that the sensor used for passive unlock of the frunk with the advanced keyless entry is integrated with the parking radar sensor used for the park assist on the Blue Cruise package.

So if you have a SR Lariat without Blue Cruise or a 312A XLT, the frunk exterior button will not operate unless the truck has been two-stage unlocked (two taps of the unlock button from the fob or unlocked from the handle).

Apparently Ford is looking into a software patch to correct the issue and use the other passive sensors to unlock the frunk, but who knows if they will actually do it or when it will happen.

Sponsored

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
Hopefully they fix the the tailgate so it will close when the truck is locked. As well.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Hopefully they fix the the tailgate so it will close when the truck is locked. As well.
I could see use cases where that would be undesirable, I might want the cab secure, but also have the tailgate down to unload cargo, use the work surface, etc

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
My frunk button is dead. Stopped working somewhere between 36K and 40K miles (of course).

Inside works, key fob works, phone works. unlocked, doors open, windows down, whatever - the outside button does nothing.

Sometimes, it sounds like a relay clicks, just once, when the button is pressed - but a second press does nothing at all.

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Dealer replaced my outside frunk button (and related wiring harness) and all is good with the world now.
Sponsored