• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power deployed steps vs. fixed steps

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
AMP produced the factory power steps for the 2015 to 2020 model years. 2021+ are made by Magna.
We may never know for sure, however, I expect they are still under the AMP copyright since that is where the design came from. Magna probably has the manufacturing capacity that Ford needs.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
We may never know for sure, however, I expect they are still under the AMP copyright since that is where the design came from. Magna probably has the manufacturing capacity that Ford needs.
They did it for cost. Magna is cheaper.

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
It's not plug and play to install the factory steps after the fact. You'd be better off to go aftermarket.
Are you able to clarify this at all? I found a really good deal on some factory takeoffs that I'm considering, being that it was an option from the factory, most the time you would expect the wiring harness to already be there, so I would expect some forscan changes, is there something else that's required in this case?
It's not that I have anything against aftermarket, it's just that there's a whole lot of money to be saved with factory takeoffs on the used market.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Are you able to clarify this at all? I found a really good deal on some factory takeoffs that I'm considering, being that it was an option from the factory, most the time you would expect the wiring harness to already be there, so I would expect some forscan changes, is there something else that's required in this case?
It's not that I have anything against aftermarket, it's just that there's a whole lot of money to be saved with factory takeoffs on the used market.
There are wiring harnesses and modules missing for the steps. Then you have to program with FORSCAN.

Here's a thread on our ICE sister forum about guys adding steps to their trucks. You'll have to decide if the money you save is worth the time and modding you'll have to do.

Good luck.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ford-oem-power-running-boards-install-a-plug-n-play.13168/

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
The power running boards / steps are cute / great until they are not ... snow and ice jam them up during winter. We had them once and never again!
Sponsored