• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Preconditioning settings and results

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I've seen a lot of talk about preconditioning, but never any specifics. I thought I would show what my truck went through this morning.

My truck reached 90% earlier in the night. I have preconditioning set for 5:45AM and to be warm.

Ford F-150 Lightning Preconditioning settings and results Screenshot_20221018-054327_FordPass

At 5:25 it started drawing 26 amps.

Ford F-150 Lightning Preconditioning settings and results Screenshot_20221018-054405

And it continued for the full 20 minutes, ramping down before my scheduled departure time.

Ford F-150 Lightning Preconditioning settings and results Screenshot_20221018-072443

Truck was toasty warm on a 35 degree day. I might try medium next time as the seats were way too warm for me.

Only problem was, as others have noted, after preconditioning my heated steering wheel was supposed to be on, the icon was lit, but it wasn't.
Sponsored

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR 312A
I’ve preconditioned mine using the cabin setting in OFF as well as WARM but there doesn’t seem to be any difference between those settings when I get out to the truck; the air is blowing, steering wheel is warm and the seats are warm.

It seems to me as if the remote start and departure/preconditioning settings kind of overlap.

That is odd though for the steering wheel light to be lit but it isn’t warm.

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
That is odd though for the steering wheel light to be lit but it isn’t warm.
It was warm when I got in. But after I started the truck and drove awhile, the heat wasn't working but was still lit on the screen. Other people have mentioned it only does it while preconditioning.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It was warm when I got in. But after I started the truck and drove awhile, the heat wasn't working but was still lit on the screen. Other people have mentioned it only does it while preconditioning.
I have noticed it happening without preconditioning too now. Seems to only stay really warm for about 10 minutes, then drops off so much that you can't really feel it. Seems like a weird place to try and save energy.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I've seen a lot of talk about preconditioning, but never any specifics. I thought I would show what my truck went through this morning.

My truck reached 90% earlier in the night. I have preconditioning set for 5:45AM and to be warm.

Screenshot_20221018-054327_FordPass.jpg

At 5:25 it started drawing 26 amps.

Screenshot_20221018-054405.jpg

And it continued for the full 20 minutes, ramping down before my scheduled departure time.

Screenshot_20221018-072443.jpg

Truck was toasty warm on a 35 degree day. I might try medium next time as the seats were way too warm for me.

Only problem was, as others have noted, after preconditioning my heated steering wheel was supposed to be on, the icon was lit, but it wasn't.
Did you notice a significant difference in the range as you started driving compared to a cold departure? The use of 1.36 KWh for pre-conditioning is the equivalent of about 3 miles of range.

I have noticed on cool days and a cold departure that I immediately have a drop in range as expected. When it is a short trip there isn't a concern of overall range. I'm mostly curious if the pre-conditioning is more efficient than a cold departure and then needing to charge more energy after the trip?

Sponsored

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
Yeah I noticed my heating wheel light was on but it wasn't warm also.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Did you notice a significant difference in the range as you started driving compared to a cold departure? The use of 1.36 KWh for pre-conditioning is the equivalent of about 3 miles of range.

I have noticed on cool days and a cold departure that I immediately have a drop in range as expected. When it is a short trip there isn't a concern of overall range. I'm mostly curious if the pre-conditioning is more efficient than a cold departure and then needing to charge more energy after the trip?
By definition, preconditioning is going to be less efficient overall that just driving with the cold battery since you are losing heat energy to ambient while it is sitting there. Pre-conditioning is for comfort (very nice) and maximizing range on a charge, not to improve efficiency.

All said, the difference is pretty small.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
I noticed the same thing this morning, no heat in the heated steering wheel even though the icon was on. I turned it off and on a few times with no change. I thought it was broke, but it sounds like this might be a "feature."

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician

I didn't precondition yesterday and averaged 1.8 mi/kWh on my 54 mile commute. Today I preconditioned and averaged 1.9 mi/kWh. Not that much of a difference, but I believe the colder out it is, the bigger the benefit.
Sponsored