• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PSA on Electrical Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
For a few months now, I've been spending time trying to help those who have bona fide questions on how to install charging equipment, how to use the truck safely as a generator replacement, and how to ensure safety with electricity as they deal with an EV.

I wrote the charging FAQ for TMC in the early days, and also wrote Tesla's own charging FAQ that was distributed to early customers as they looked to have their equipment installed by electricians that really didn't know what requirements an EV had. I have read most of the NEC for many, many years, have installed hundreds of EVSE's, tens of solar PV projects, and have consulted with thousands of people about EV infrastructure safety.

Unfortunately, I've also seen a number of forum members here continue to promote unsafe, illegal, and even deadly advice. I try to respond to as many as I can, letting the original posters know just how dangerous they are, but I doubt I will get to all of them. They are the electrical equivalent of "gas pump won't reach? just duct-tape a garden hose to the end of the pump handle and you get 150 more feet to fill your tank!" While I'm pretty sure we all know that "one guy" who is happy to jerry-rig anything, it makes for really bad news when a lineman gets killed, or a home burns down, or the insurance company denies your claim because it's obvious that safety wasn't a consideration.

So I'll offer just one piece of advice to all posters here (and will ask that this be made one of the top stickies in the charging, electrical, and home backup sub-forums):

DO NOT TAKE ELECTRICAL ADVICE FROM THIS FORUM UNCHECKED. Contact a reputable electrician in your area, who will know the expectations of the inspectors and other authorities in your particular area. Many localities use different versions of the NEC, and so there are differing requirements depending upon where you are.

You don't have to pay attention to me, but I strongly recommend you ask a competent electrician to help you with your unique needs and to keep you safe. God bless and be safe.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
While my background is not as EV-specific as yours (mine being industrial power systems and controls, plus being an admitted code nerd), I’ve also tried to help out and keep people from being led astray.

I can only second your advice shown in bold. Thanks for your contributions to this forum.

tblches

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I will third this advice. As a commercial electrical contractor, the last thing I would want is one of my guys getting hurt because of a DIYer did something wrong or Jerry rigged it. Trust but verify.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.