• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rust Protection Spray

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Hello.

For those that live in areas where snow and salt is a seasonal occurrence, would you recommend a complete “Rust protection” underbody spray?

I’m asking because the bed/body is aluminum while the frame is steel?

Or can I just buy a few gallons of fluidfilm and DIY on the frame and other critical components?

Thanks
Sponsored

Di2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7
Occupation
Retired
Spray the steel, and wherever it comes into contact with aluminum.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
When you do pick a rust protection film, don't forget to fog inside the frame and don't be shy about a second helping if the winter is long or you have a lot of miles in slush or briny road spray.

With the price manufacturers are selling new trucks for, it's shameful that they have decided that frame and axle coatings shouldn't be much better than they were nearly a century ago. If new trucks were more affordable, it wouldn't be as bad getting a new one every few years because the old one rusted out, not to mention the ability to enjoy better trade-in prices and last but not least, safety.

With how much new trucks cost and the fact that they use thinner higher strength steel, I'm surprised that there aren't any companies stepping up to strip frame's cheap dumpster paint and then hot dip galvanize them before powder coating and reassembly. It would be expensive after the fact but the frame would probably last 3X as long, even longer if using rust preventative spray and inspection/repairing of damaged coating. A rust belt dealership would probably be able to do it the most efficiently, and they would enjoy better economy of scale.

Ford F-150 Lightning Rust Protection Spray 726FB621-9C91-4AA9-818F-986D6CCDC97B

https://www.thedrive.com/news/34333...f-150-has-increased-in-price-over-the-decades

The aluminum body has nothing to do with making the truck last longer and is solely a strength/weight advantage, the alloy chosen will corrode if given a chance and is harder to repair than steel.

Zinc Chromate based primer for the aluminum will prevent corrosion of the bed and cab. When I was crawling under my truck for inspection, there are several spots of unpainted aluminum.
Sponsored