• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Shelby Lightning?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Given the Mach-e got the Shelby treatment (even if just a prototype so far), what are people's thoughts on a Shelby Lightning? Realistically, what do we think they could do?

Carbon fiber Frunk cover?
Lighter wheels (and stickier street tires)?
Lowering kit? Air suspension?
Aero and Graphics (though I am thinking the aero will be mostly cosmetic)
Typical interior treatment

Maybe some improved cooling and a "boost" mode?
Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I think air suspension or slightly lowered suspension is a possibility, street tires, and I think they'll need to increase the power significantly to carry the Shelby badge.

Nobody is talking about 1/4 mile times yet for the Lightning, but if it's anything like the MME, it'll start losing power several hundred feet before it reaches the line. That's not a good look for one of the highest trim lines, and one Ford will want to address or at least field test these batteries more before twisting the wick.

Or maybe they'll just gut the Shelby badge for money no matter the actual performance.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Probably Suspension, exterior and interior bits but that’s about it, maybe an extra mode where it won’t die after 80 mph?

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I think air suspension or slightly lowered suspension is a possibility, street tires, and I think they'll need to increase the power significantly to carry the Shelby badge.

Nobody is talking about 1/4 mile times yet for the Lightning, but if it's anything like the MME, it'll start losing power several hundred feet before it reaches the line. That's not a good look for one of the highest trim lines, and one Ford will want to address or at least field test these batteries more before twisting the wick.

Or maybe they'll just gut the Shelby badge for money no matter the actual performance.
If it starts running out/losing power after 5 or 6 seconds, then they better get through the quarter mile in 6 seconds 😁.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Yeah, I expect the same. Scaling on HP/weight vs. the Mach-e GT says the ER Lightning will be in the high 13s, but it could do better if it holds it's power like the lower trim (Premium ER) does at higher rpms

Sponsored

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Yeah, I expect the same. Scaling on HP/weight vs. the Mach-e GT says the ER Lightning will be in the high 13s, but it could do better if it holds it's power like the lower trim (Premium ER) does at higher rpms
I have a feeling the lightning will continue full power through an entire quarter mile. Don't forget this truck is designed to tow 10,000lbs up a hill and accelerate if needed. The battery will have a lot more cooling due to this so it will be a lot less likely to throttle back due to heat than something that is designed to tow nothing.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have a feeling the lightning will continue full power through an entire quarter mile. Don't forget this truck is designed to tow 10,000lbs up a hill and accelerate if needed. The battery will have a lot more cooling due to this so it will be a lot less likely to throttle back due to heat than something that is designed to tow nothing.
We can all hope. Maybe we will get to see some drag times in the next month or so.

I doubt Ford would let it beat the Mach-e GT though, would be horrible for marketing! I think low 13s is the best we can hope for.

Note: The ICE Lightning did it in 13.8, so I bet Ford is trying to beat that mark.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Since Lightning was already the branding for a faster F-150, I'm guessing the next evolution will be a Lightning Raptor. They just did a Raptor Bronco and Ranger. so I think that will be next.

If they decide to make an even higher performance / Shelby branded model, I think they'd need to do more than change the suspension or try to make it lighter. I think they'd need to build a 3 or 4 motor powertrain and the capacitors needed to charge up some kind of launch mode.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Since Lightning was already the branding for a faster F-150, I'm guessing the next evolution will be a Lightning Raptor. They just did a Raptor Bronco and Ranger. so I think that will be next.

If they decide to make an even higher performance / Shelby branded model, I think they'd need to do more than change the suspension or try to make it lighter. I think they'd need to build a 3 or 4 motor powertrain and the capacitors needed to charge up some kind of launch mode.
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I didn't mean a Shelby model from Ford (I agree Raptor is more likely, though I would prefer a street truck), I meant a conversion from Shelby American (aftermarket). The way they do it with ICE F150 now.

Last edited:

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Got it. Most high performance mods jack up performance with all sorts of engine mods. It'll be interesting seeing the kinds of performance changes that are possible without changing the motors.
Sponsored