• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Trailer brake not working

Joshua_Tree

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Design
Adding my .02 here. I just got back from a 11,000 mile, 60 day trip with a brand new 2021 F150 (XLT Leadfoot) and brand new 2021 Airstream Globetrotter. Lost trailer brakes for the first time coming down a 15 mile 7% grade off the Continental Divide in Wyoming. White knuckled it until I found a place to pull out, no cell service, couldn't fix it, Ford's electronic manual is frustrating because it isn't indexed for search, so I just put the 150 in manual and rode the engine brake down. Anyway...next day it worked fine. Lots of head scratching occurred.

Fast forward, I ultimately discovered (after visits to Ford dealerships and many conversations with Airstream, during which abundant finger-pointing ensued) that moisture is the culprit IN MY CASE. Sorry, not yelling, just highlighting that I have no idea whether this affects others who are in the same situ. But I am 1000% sure that when it rains, I lose trailer brakes, and about 50% of the time I also get "Trailer Light Module Fault" which disables my trailer brake lights and blinkers. Given the liability involved, I'm not surprised that finger pointing is rampant between Ford and Airstream, but I would like to point out the irony that the initial ad for the new F150 featured it pulling an Airstream. (Please don't point out the disconnect between marketing and reality...I'm aware of this phenomenon).

Damn this post is long, I shouldn't have started drinking so early. One more thing -- I'm getting ready to go out again for a month, maybe 5,000 miles. If I figure out anything more, and live to tell about it, I'll chime in again.
i think this is what’s happening to my trailer (2019 Flying Cloud). First noticed after a heavy rain. Most recently going down a mountain pass while raining. What was the recommended action to correct the moisture issue?
Sponsored

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
Cant believe there is no fix for this yet.. Really hope this gets fixed by the new RV season (Aprilish?)

What does it take for someone at ford to get this fixed? A few RV accidents?

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
Cant believe there is no fix for this yet.. Really hope this gets fixed by the new RV season (Aprilish?)

What does it take for someone at ford to get this fixed? A few RV accidents?
Fatalities unfortunately

wayne b

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB
Here’s an update on my F-150 trailer brakes. I took the F-150 to the Ford dealer and explained the behavior I’ve outlined in previous posts. They did an update, here’s what it said on the service invoice:
“Ran Oasis Found TSB 21-2179 Performed TSB Updated IPC/TRM”
I don’t know what those things are, but software for the brake controller?

Related to the condition of the 7-pin cable: I was confused about whether dielectric vs conductive / antioxidant grease should be applied. My total novice understanding is dialectic grease is an insulating grease (you want this to protect car battery terminals) vs a conductive grease (which contains bits of metal) aids in conducting electrical, so the latter seems to be the right thing for this situation. I rubbed a small amount of Anti-Oxy compound into the connectors (a Q-tip cut in half was a good implement to jam a bit into each hole).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BOCBCA

Also purchased this $12 cable holder holder, to prevent it from dragging on the ground, getting dirty etc. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCSWO4I/
It’s OK at holding it in place, though doesn’t prevent moisture, even though it’s covered. There are other products which are caps only, but I wonder if the caps get condensation you end up with water anyway. Maybe a plastic bag and a rubber band works best. It’s absurd Airstream and nicer trailer manufacturers haven’t sorted this out, considering this is a weak link / safety hazard.

After these changes drove 200 miles and didn’t have any problems. Checked trailer brakes frequently. The possibilities here are: the Ford update fixed it, the grease fixed it, or it was both. Or neither, and it will happen again.

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
TSB 21-2179 has been available since June, 2021, so I dont think this would have fixed the issue as mine already had this fix and I still had the issue when Ford Engineers inspected and tested my truck.

Sponsored

Chinauzer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Supercrew Powerboost
Two probably dumb questions - but I just got my Powerboost and towed my travel trailer for the first time. Got “trailer disconnected“ message on dash a couple times. Didn’t know if that meant it was reconnecting in between. Is there an indicator on dash or screen which confirms whether truck is currently “connected” to trailer? If your brake controller is working, is there a display which shows that when you press the brake pedal (or just when you use the pinch control)?

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L
Two probably dumb questions - but I just got my Powerboost and towed my travel trailer for the first time. Got “trailer disconnected“ message on dash a couple times. Didn’t know if that meant it was reconnecting in between. Is there an indicator on dash or screen which confirms whether truck is currently “connected” to trailer? If your brake controller is working, is there a display which shows that when you press the brake pedal (or just when you use the pinch control)?
There is none which is why this is a massive problem.

In my truck there was NO inidicaiton the trailer brakes were not working. I ended up going downhill and not realizing that they were nto working making my breaking distances excessively long.

To top it off, i always test the trailer brakes before driving, and it was wokring at the beginning of the trip, but without any warning, just stops working.. THis makes it IMPOSSIBLE to know if the trailer brake malfunctions unless you literally pinch the brake controller every single time to test it.

Really terrible safety issue here.

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
I am wondering if the people that have installed after market brake controllers are having issues? Like using the factory 7 pin receptacle and removing the factory brake controller wire and installing a after market brake controller wire.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost, 2017 Ram 1500
There is none which is why this is a massive problem.

In my truck there was NO inidicaiton the trailer brakes were not working. I ended up going downhill and not realizing that they were nto working making my breaking distances excessively long.

To top it off, i always test the trailer brakes before driving, and it was wokring at the beginning of the trip, but without any warning, just stops working.. THis makes it IMPOSSIBLE to know if the trailer brake malfunctions unless you literally pinch the brake controller every single time to test it.

Really terrible safety issue here.

There is a screen that will show trailer brake gain... if the trailer brake is working you will see the the length of the bar increase as the brake pedal is pressed or the controller is squeezed. This (and the lack of stopping power) is how most of us tell if the brake is working.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Finally got my TT hooked up to my 21 PB. Went down the road to a parking lot to test the trailer brakes and see if the connection was intermittent. Glad to report no disconnects. With the brake controller gain set to 6 there was excellent stopping power. I'll run it around 4-4.5 and adjust as required.

One thing I did notice, when comparing it to the last 6 vehicles I've had with the 7 pin connector, is the amount of force and/or wiggling it takes to get the TT plug fully seated. The initial push felt solid enough, but then I wiggled and pushed and I got another sixteenth insertion.

Sponsored

Lennny2

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
retired
I've have this F...ing issue as well. I pull a 2019 AS international serenity. When I first hook it up and the brakes are working, I've unhooked the 7 Pin and plugged in a tester. My wife squeezes the controller and the trailer brake circuit (BK) lights up. While driving, I frequently test to see if it is still controlling the brakes. When it stops working, I pulled over, unplug the 7 pin and plug in my tester. She squeezes and the (BK) light DOES NOT light up. After shutting the truck off with 7 pin unplugged, I wait and periodically test again and again until the (BK) lights up. I plug in the 7 pin and the brakes work.
NO doubt the problem lies with the truck.
My Ford dealer found information in his system for a trailer control module software fix due out in Feb 2022. He said it doesn't refer exactly to my issue but he's hopeful it may solve it. I am scheduled to call him in a couple weeks and see if it's available.

Tambow

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Quick update. My brakes failed again but I got a new error message so I took it another dealer. He ran the usual checks but this time said there is a software update in March that is supposed to fix the issue. Let’s hope it works.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Quick update. My brakes failed again but I got a new error message so I took it another dealer. He ran the usual checks but this time said there is a software update in March that is supposed to fix the issue. Let’s hope it works.
I wouldn’t count on it. Attached is the service bulletin (SSM 50226) your dealer was looking at. It addresses A trailering issue that’s more of an annoyance, but not not this particular issue. We might get lucky and Ford ends up rolling more into the fix than what is described in the bulletin, but I am not optimistic.

Attachments

wayne b

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB
When starting up at a campground this week, we experienced it again, briefly. (All lights working, trailer brakes "no trailer" when squeezing brake controller). Turned off F-150, removed 7-pin, cleaned a bit and applied conductive grease, firmly inserted and it worked again. In this case we had been at a windy beach for a few days and it's likely sand got in the 7-pin (time to start using a plastic bag). Didn't leave the F-150 off long enough to do the "real shut down," trailer brakes came back on the first try, so it does seem cable related in this case.

One other factor, curious if this is common with other posters on the thread: we had a backup camera plugged into the center (rear) console 12v plug and removed it when we turned off the truck. Wondering how many others have a rear camera that plugs into the 12v, is it possible there's a connection there.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
For those who have been waiting for some movement on this issue, Ford has released a software update to the brake controller module (TRM). I saw it on FDRS yesterday and installed it. I have no idea whether the update will correct the random brake disconnects until I get my trailer out in about three weeks to do some testing. But, so far, the early reports I’ve heard are that it corrects a false DTC that some people were experiencing. I never had that problem so I can’t verify. I haven’t heard reports of any other fixes. But it’s still early and not much testing beyond the installation itself has been done.
Sponsored