• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Transfer switch question

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks, I was trying to remove the affiliate link and must have cut it too short. There is also a 6854 that is the newer version I guess.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks, I was trying to remove the affiliate link and must have cut it too short. There is also a 6854 that is the newer version I guess.
I thought that might have been the case. I also edit my URLs to remove referrals. The "junk" part of the URL starts with /ref=.

Here's the 6854 from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Generac-6854-Upgradeable-Transfer-Aluminum/dp/B00V4NDFPY/

And from Lowes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Generac-Ho...witch-with-Aluminum-Power-Inlet-Box/999908119

The 6854's reviews on Lowes are not as favorable (only 3 stars vs. 4). I always take those with some salt anyway, but do you know if there are any technical differences between the 6852 and 6854?

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
After going down the rabbit hole the last hour, I guess the best (code compliant) option is the 6852 or 6854. Man I wish the Ford solution was going to be cheaper .
It‘s not entirely clear to me what is special about the Ford system. Unless there is unique “handshake” technology I think once the trucks are out and companies like Leviton and Lectron can get their hands on the trucks other bidirectional options with an inverter will become available.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I believe the home integration also system takes DC from the truck and uses a more powerful external inverter to feed the entire house up to 9.6kw. The truck's 30A 240v output only provides 7.2kw and requires a separate different cable to the transfer switch. That said, I'm leaning towards the transfer switch due to cost.

Sponsored

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
but do you know if there are any technical differences between the 6852 and 6854?
Nope I haven't figured it out. I will probably go with the 6852 since it has so many positive reviews and seems fully supported.