• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Tom Moloughney visits Ford Rouge center for factory tour and test ride(w/review). I did learn a few new things, but nothing earth shattering from what we already know. Pretty good review.

FWIW Tom owns a Mach E and has a reservation for a Lightning. Inside EVs does reviews and range tests on just about every EV out there. Tom's 70mph range test is among the best to replicate possible "real world" range.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/528059/ford-f150-lightning-review/

Sponsored

Aamyotte

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
I saw the video as well. I liked to see the inside of the factory.
I asked him if he saw a Maverick or Bronco BEV when he went for the ride but he wouldn't bite.

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
I enjoyed seeing the progress of the Rouge plant in this video. I’m looking forward to buying a Lightning so much. I know my enthusiasm will be tempered with reality after I get it. I figure if it ends up not working for my uses, selling it won’t be a problem.

PWRGEN

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Hybrid 4wd Max Tow
Occupation
Real Estate
Great update video from Tom. I love where Ford is headed with electrification of vehicles and powering tools for the tradesmen and home when the power goes out. I still think the Hybrid Power boost will be the choice most Ford Truck buyers will want when towing campers etc. unless they're just going to use the Lightening as a grocery getter which can be charged overnight in garage on a 50 amp Level two. Once fast charging infrastructure is developed (maybe 5 years from now) I will want a BEV for sure.

So Tom, did Ford mention a Plug In Hybrid F150 (PHEV) like Chevy Volt's and Toyota RAV4 Prime's? This seems like it would be a more logical extension of the Hybrid Power Boost F150, which by the way I have and love?

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
…I still think the Hybrid Power boost will be the choice most Ford Truck buyers will want…
I would love a PowerBoost F-150, but so far, on Fuelly I’m not seeing much difference in mpg between the 2.7 and the PowerBoost. I’d have a hard time justifying the price difference.

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Sport 4x4 Oxford White
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic & Maintenance planner
I would love a PowerBoost F-150, but so far, on Fuelly I’m not seeing much difference in mpg between the 2.7 and the PowerBoost. I’d have a hard time justifying the price difference.
I'm running almost identical mpg on my PB that I used to run on my 2018 2.7 EB which was 21.8 mpg mixed driving for 38K miles on the EB. I'm a little over 6K on the PB and just did my 1st oil change. I reset my Trip 2 computer at the 1st fuel fill and left it alone to monitor long term mpg. I attached a pic with that data. The computer mpg is 1.0-1.2 high as you see in the picture but I always manually calculate at every fill-up. And after that picture I also adjusted the computer to read within .2 mpg now. It can be done in the Engineering test mode settings quite easily without FORScan. I can share that if you'd like. I did it with my 2.7 and now the 3.5. I didn't at first since the 2021 has different buttons/switches and keyless ignition but finally found out how to access it. It takes 2 or 3 fill-ups to get it as close as possible.
Back to the justification... considering my 2.7 was a 2wd STX with 3.55 gears vs. the PB 4x4 XLT 402a with 3.73 gears I'm pretty stoked. The PB has a bit more weight plus the transfer case drag & tow/haul gearing.
Granted, I'm always watching how much I put my foot into it but I do tend to cruise at 75-80mph on the highway. I also noticed that driving with headwind or hills the 2.7 mpg suffered quite a bit since it had to work more to overcome weight and resistance. It was more than fully capable of doing it - but at the cost of more fuel.
The 3.5 PB doesn't have to work so hard to maintain speed or overcome that headwind. Again, just another consideration.
If cost is your primary concern then you should stick with your 2.7. It's a great little engine. I loved mine. But I am much happier with my 3.5PB! ;)

Ford F-150 Lightning Video: F-150 Lightning Test Ride + Rouge Production Plant Tour IMG_7486.JPEG

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
I'm running almost identical mpg on my PB that I used to run on my 2018 2.7 EB which was 21.8 mpg mixed driving for 38K miles on the EB. I'm a little over 6K on the PB and just did my 1st oil change. I reset my Trip 2 computer at the 1st fuel fill and left it alone to monitor long term mpg. I attached a pic with that data. The computer mpg is 1.0-1.2 high as you see in the picture but I always manually calculate at every fill-up. And after that picture I also adjusted the computer to read within .2 mpg now. It can be done in the Engineering test mode settings quite easily without FORScan. I can share that if you'd like. I did it with my 2.7 and now the 3.5. I didn't at first since the 2021 has different buttons/switches and keyless ignition but finally found out how to access it. It takes 2 or 3 fill-ups to get it as close as possible.
Back to the justification... considering my 2.7 was a 2wd STX with 3.55 gears vs. the PB 4x4 XLT 402a with 3.73 gears I'm pretty stoked. The PB has a bit more weight plus the transfer case drag & tow/haul gearing.
Granted, I'm always watching how much I put my foot into it but I do tend to cruise at 75-80mph on the highway. I also noticed that driving with headwind or hills the 2.7 mpg suffered quite a bit since it had to work more to overcome weight and resistance. It was more than fully capable of doing it - but at the cost of more fuel.
The 3.5 PB doesn't have to work so hard to maintain speed or overcome that headwind. Again, just another consideration.
If cost is your primary concern then you should stick with your 2.7. It's a great little engine. I loved mine. But I am much happier with my 3.5PB! ;)

IMG_7486.JPEG
This is great information, thank you. I like that the mpg is similar BUT the 2.7 was 2wd and the PB is 4WD. Points to the PB. When my company returns to the office, I will resume driving on Pittsburgh’s parkways (emphasis on “park”), so I think in that environ, the PB would return better MPG. Full disclosure: My truck is my daily driver, several loaded 2-hour hauling trips a year, a long road trip loaded with grown family, dog, and a bed full of too much crap. So, I don’t tow, I don’t haul much. Comfort, 4wd and occasional cargo capability are my priorities. PB may be good for me.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I noticed that my Prius takes a much larger hit to mpg after getting over 70mph. Much more than my previous small cars. I wonder how it would compare driving 65-70

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
I’m keeping my PB AND getting the PRO Lightning. We desperately need both, one for daily commute and one for extended range, pulling heavy loads, generator for my RV and work tools. I love my PB and everything it does for my family. Just broke 16k miles and averaging 19mpg overall (some down as low as 5mpg while pulling 10k lbs RV home from dealership 1200 miles away).

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Sport 4x4 Oxford White
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic & Maintenance planner
I noticed that my Prius takes a much larger hit to mpg after getting over 70mph. Much more than my previous small cars. I wonder how it would compare driving 65-70
You are correct, the EB & PB do better at 65-70. I don't have statistical evidence (since I just can't get myself to drive that slow for long periods of time :sneaky:) but I did this morning going to work and got 25.4 mpg. About 2/3 of that is highway driving in Dallas, the rest is neighborhood and city streets with stop lights & signs. And that is what my re-calibrated mpg computer.
As everyone says - Eco OR Boost. One or the other but not both! But it's great to have that option when we want it.
Sponsored