• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

"Winding Down" sound when going slow.

OP
OP
Madasahatter1138

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
It's reassuring to know nothing mechanical is wrong, enjoy the truck, overtime the noise will blend into the background and your neighbors will acclimate.

I live not to far from ACELA rail line, when I first moved into the neighborhood it was irritating, but after 30 years I hardly notice it or the MBTA trains.
Another development:
Decided to pop by the original dealership where the actual truck I had order JUST arrived after a 4 month shipping delay! Met the sales team, and after I mentioned how mine makes this noise, they let me take the other truck for a spin...Exact same build down to the colour.

And its whisper quiet...perhaps a small noise on acceleration, but ZERO wind down noise. The sales guy conifirmed it, so I booked into service in 2 weeks to find out where mine is coming from.
It was kinda neat to actually drive the VIN I had ordered after all though!

Hopefully they can find the issue. I bet its an issue with rear motor as its louder back there..Like a spline is out of whack....

I knew I wasn't crazy!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Madasahatter1138

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
Another development:
Decided to pop by the original dealership where the actual truck I had order JUST arrived after a 4 month shipping delay! Met the sales team, and after I mentioned how mine makes this noise, they let me take the other truck for a spin...Exact same build down to the colour.

And its whisper quiet...perhaps a small noise on acceleration, but ZERO wind down noise. The sales guy conifirmed it, so I booked into service in 2 weeks to find out where mine is coming from.
It was kinda neat to actually drive the VIN I had ordered after all though!

Hopefully they can find the issue. I bet its an issue with rear motor as its louder back there..Like a spline is out of whack....

I knew I wasn't crazy!
Update:

After a service visit, and driving three other Lightnings at the dealship with the service technician with me, we concluded that my vehicle is definitely noisier than the others, but not by much. He sent info to Ford Engineering, and 2 weeks ago they replied and said to replace the rear drive motor. Part came in 3 days ago and they got me in quick. Took 1 full day to change out.Just got it back, and it is a big improvement. Same sound but lower level, and it doesnt last as long in acceleration, and is almost non existent on slowing down, so am very satisfied. Good on Ford for stepping up and approving the repair.

V8Nissan

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 super duty, 99 crown vic, 14 370z,14 expedition
I just got a 2023 extended range. Same noise but not as pronounced. First appeared after some spirited driving sustained 85-100mph at 1000 miles. I hear it on and off mostly with the window down. Was hoping it's just scyfi noise lol but I guess I have 60000 miles to figure it out.
Sponsored