• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Winter rims?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm going to look for a set of take-off PRO wheels for winter. I'd rather change the whole wheel than just the rim.
Sponsored

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
I talked with my local tire shop about this a few months back. They seem to be honest, decent folks and I've been using them for 11 years now without issue.

They said it isn't anywhere near worth a second set of rims. By the time you get the new rims, swap out or buy & install new TPMS devices, they don't break even like back in the day. It was just their take.

I'm likely to get a set of Nokians on the truck in November and doubt I'm going to front out a few hundred more bucks for new rims and TPMS sensors. Not 100% likely, but probably about 80% unlikely to get a set. Just their take on the issue.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is no one just going to see how the stock tires do in the snow? The A/S tires have good reviews on tire rack and EVs generally have really good traction control systems ( better control vs. ICE vehicles). Our Mach-e really surprised me in how good it was in the snow with the stock tires.
Nope. Not gonna do it. You get a dusting you're probably OK, BUT anything more than an inch or so by the time it gets all mushed down, slicked up, and starts freezing up at all I want the security of either the 3peak tires or dedicated snows. I got the A/T tire option and was.......far less than impressed with the tire that came with it. If they're A/T then I'm running for Pope next time around.

I've never had a set of dedicated snow tires before. I've been running all 3PMS tires for about 15 years. First Good Year, and now pretty much exclusively Nokian until this truck. I think in November it is a set of studded Nokian tires for me. Small town, mostly back roads to work and to my girlfriend's - even the main numbered state routes are not always a guarantee.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Nope. Not gonna do it. You get a dusting you're probably OK, BUT anything more than an inch or so by the time it gets all mushed down, slicked up, and starts freezing up at all I want the security of either the 3peak tires or dedicated snows. I got the A/T tire option and was.......far less than impressed with the tire that came with it. If they're A/T then I'm running for Pope next time around.

I've never had a set of dedicated snow tires before. I've been running all 3PMS tires for about 15 years. First Good Year, and now pretty much exclusively Nokian until this truck. I think in November it is a set of studded Nokian tires for me. Small town, mostly back roads to work and to my girlfriend's - even the main numbered state routes are not always a guarantee.
Yeah, I looked at the reviews for the A/T tires Ford was using and they were...not great. That is why I went A/S. Much better snow ratings.

Willing to swap over to a more aggressive A/S (Michelin cross climate or similar I'd they can take the weight), or some 3PMS rated A/T if needed but want to try out the stock tires first. We were VERY impressed with the snow performance on our Mach-e GT with stock tires. In 3 or 4 inches of snow it was more confident than my Raptor with KO2s!.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I looked at the reviews for the A/T tires Ford was using and they were...not great. That is why I went A/S. Much better snow ratings.

Willing to swap over to a more aggressive A/S (Michelin cross climate or similar I'd they can take the weight), or some 3PMS rated A/T if needed but want to try out the stock tires first. We were VERY impressed with the snow performance on our Mach-e GT with stock tires. In 3 or 4 inches of snow it was more confident than my Raptor with KO2s!.
I was torn between the Nokian studded or the new Nokian Outpost which is a 3PMS rated "all weather" tire. I the the precursor to it and liked it very much. BUT, the little voice in the back of my head is having a lot of difficulty just tossing a set of new tires (the OEM) with 6,000 miles on them when the time comes. But I do prefer a more aggressive tire/tire tread pattern and the Outposts come in a light truck variant - and I am not sure the studded tires do so that will likely be a deciding factor in the issue.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I skip the tpms on my winter tires. It may not pay off by $$, but the convenience of being able to charge the wheels at home is great, particularly when 100,000 of your neighbors are all trying to get their winter tires put on their cars over over the course of 6 weeks, and off 5 months later. I found wheels with the required load capacity on sale for $85 each, which was too good to pass up. Continental winter tires are mounted and waiting for the truck to be built.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Dunno about this year but last year, genuine Ford F150 TPMS sensors were readily available, cheap, on eBay.

I moved those sensors, along with a set of Blizzak LTs, across from the 2009 18" rims I was using on my ICE STX to the HDPP rims I found for the Lightning - after about a month of watching ebay for the part number. Overpaid a little for mount and balance but I like the guys at my local tire shop.

I would never buy snows without rims because a set of snow tires lasts me about 3 years and I do not want to inflict 6 unmount/remounts on tires I have to trust to keep me safe...

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
This post has what I figured out when I looked into this in the spring, it may be useful to you.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Is no one just going to see how the stock tires do in the snow? The A/S tires have good reviews on tire rack and EVs generally have really good traction control systems ( better control vs. ICE vehicles). Our Mach-e really surprised me in how good it was in the snow with the stock tires.
I’m going to park mine just like I did with my 4x4 Suburban. No desire to play with the idiots on the roads if I don’t have to.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I skip the tpms on my winter tires. It may not pay off by $$, but the convenience of being able to charge the wheels at home is great, particularly when 100,000 of your neighbors are all trying to get their winter tires put on their cars over over the course of 6 weeks, and off 5 months later. I found wheels with the required load capacity on sale for $85 each, which was too good to pass up. Continental winter tires are mounted and waiting for the truck to be built.
This is exactly why I have separate winter rims. I also skip the TPMS.
Sponsored