• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning ER DC Fast Charge Deep Dive

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
Hey everyone,

I finally have my Lightning DC fast-charging deep dice video analysis up for those interested:

F-150 Lightning DC fast charging deep dive analysis

I charged my Lightning nearly 20 times on 350 kW (and a few 150 kW) DC fast chargers to gather the data for this. Enjoy!
Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Good information. As with most people, I charge at home 90% of the time. But for trips, the 20% to 80% charge sessions make the most sense for us. After 2 to 3 hours of driving, I’m ready for a break. It’s nice to have some rational reason for taking those breaks beside my back.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
The charge "boost" that is available at practically ever battery level and flat curve makes the Lightning a compelling road tripper despite a less than steller peak charging rate. Makes it easy to get a decent boost of range with every restroom/stretch break..drive..repeat. Good way to travel with acceptable charge speed without having to resort to the Kyle Connor charger hop..run to zero method...

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the detailed report. Very useful info. Sounds like frequent 15m stops are way better than few long stops.

This of course assumes access to 150+ charging availability.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
Hey everyone,

I finally have my Lightning DC fast-charging deep dice video analysis up for those interested:

I charged my Lightning nearly 20 times on 350 kW (and a few 150 kW) DC fast chargers to gather the data for this. Enjoy!
I would like to see the same analysis done on a 150 KW Charger. Here in the Midwest normally EA Stations have only 1 350 KW to 3-4 150 KWs. Many of us only charge DC on road trips and because stations are hard to find I often start the charge at 40%-60%. My experiences (all at EA) mirror what Tom got (some have started as high as 170 KW for 6-8 minutes, 120 KW to 80%, 60 KW to 85%, 30 KW to 90%) but when I had to choose a 150 KW the charging curve was much different (lower all the way up). FYI - Lariat ER

Thank you for the video (and the easy-read article). (y)

Sponsored

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
I would like to see the same analysis done on a 150 KW Charger. Here in the Midwest normally EA Stations have only 1 350 KW to 3-4 150 KWs. Many of us only charge DC on road trips and because stations are hard to find I often start the charge at 40%-60%. My experiences (all at EA) mirror what Tom got (some have started as high as 170 KW for 6-8 minutes, 120 KW to 80%, 60 KW to 85%, 30 KW to 90%) but when I had to choose a 150 KW the charging curve was much different (lower all the way up). FYI - Lariat ER

The main difference is that you will max out at ~120kW on many of the 150kW chargers. The 150kW chargers max out at 350A, which with the Lightning's ~350V charging voltage, maxes out around 120 kW. So just chop out the boost phase. He does mention in the video he did a 0-80% on a 150kW and it only made 11 minutes difference.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Hey everyone,

With the Pro that you also tested, did it have the Max Tow Package? I'm wondering if the extra cooling loop has an effect on DC Charging (maybe the battery starts the charging session cooler after longer drives).

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I would like to see an owner 'override' of the much slower 80-100% Dc Fast Charge speeds, when needed... there are many situations where you don't have any OPTION to simply stop at 80% and just go to the 'next' charger - the 'next' charger may not be in that range!
I understand the need to limit the last bits of charging, for long-term battery care, but there are simply too many situations in our current infrastructure environment where you can't simply 'jump' from charger to charger... you MUST have the full miles available to get there.

but, most of us don't want to sit for two hours.

OP
OP
tommolog

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist

So I don't know if I'll have a comprehensive video on it, but I have charged many times on 150 kW EA units so I know what to expect. There's actually VERY little difference in the charging times. The 150 kW units take about 2 minutes longer to charge from 20% to 80%.
But that's 150 kW units that can actually deliver 150 kW. The EA stations can but many of the EVgo stations that are labeled as 200 kW units are capped at 200 amps, so the Lightning will max out at 80 kW.

OP
OP
tommolog

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist
With the Pro that you also tested, did it have the Max Tow Package? I'm wondering if the extra cooling loop has an effect on DC Charging (maybe the battery starts the charging session cooler after longer drives).
Yes, it did. A lot of people seem to be making a bigger deal about the extra cooling loop than they should be. I've charged Lightning now which does not have the Max towing and the charging profile was the same as with Max towing. I'm no sure where everyone got the idea that it was going to make a big difference, but it doesn't. Perhaps if you live in a really hot climate area like Arizona, the charging may be a little faster in the summer when temps get up over 100F. But otherwise, it's not significant enough to worry/stress about it. At least not from my observations so far.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Yes, it did. A lot of people seem to be making a bigger deal about the extra cooling loop than they should be. I've charged Lightning now which does not have the Max towing and the charging profile was the same as with Max towing. I'm no sure where everyone got the idea that it was going to make a big difference, but it doesn't. Perhaps if you live in a really hot climate area like Arizona, the charging may be a little faster in the summer when temps get up over 100F. But otherwise, it's not significant enough to worry/stress about it. At least not from my observations so far.
I'm not sure anyone is making a big deal about it. The description says it adds a second cooling loop to the battery. DC charging can have thermal issues. I'm just curious if the secondary cooling loop made a difference. The biggest difference is probably the battery Temps after a 240mi drive before plugging in the DCFC.

OP
OP
tommolog

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist
I'm not sure anyone is making a big deal about it. The description says it adds a second cooling loop to the battery. DC charging can have thermal issues. I'm just curious if the secondary cooling loop made a difference. The biggest difference is probably the battery Temps after a 240mi drive before plugging in the DCFC.
I've had like 10 emails from followers asking me to document the difference - that's what I mean by the big deal because there seems to be a lot of interest in how much difference the additional cooling loop men's for charging. In my limited experience so far, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I've had like 10 emails from followers asking me to document the difference - that's what I mean by the big deal because there seems to be a lot of interest in how much difference the additional cooling loop men's for charging. In my limited experience so far, it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Tom, thanks so much for all of your research on this! I too am curious about any effect/benefit of the additional battery cooling.

I just saw a FB post from an owner who drove/towed a trailer from Oregon to/through Arizona and periods of 100 deg F temps. He had a good experience except that he experienced times increased HV battery temps along with truck power limitations and notable increased fast charging times he attributed to the high battery temps.

The FB poster took a route I generally take when I travel to the midwest, so I was hoping the supplemental cooling, if any, would help…..

Again, thx for your work!

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Hey everyone,

Do we know if the boost is present on second rapid charge following rapid charge and battery depletion from driving? What about unplugging after boost is complete and plugging back in? Apologies if you addressed and I missed it.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I just saw a FB post from an owner who drove/towed a trailer from Oregon to/through Arizona and periods of 100 deg F temps. He had a good experience except that he experienced times increased HV battery temps along with truck power limitations and notable increased fast charging times he attributed to the high battery temps.
I had seen the same thing (or read something similar), thus my genuine curiosity regarding the short synopsis I watched of the OP's video.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open, can't wait until I get my truck soon and can start testing myself.
Sponsored