• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
There is zero chance Ford will be able to deliver the Lightning in 2022. If for some reason they get a few out I would not want to be the unlucky owner of those trucks.

The will be losing billions this year due to thousands and thiusands of F150 sitting in lots. They will need to cut cost and also push manufacturing to get all these F150 out.

Lightning more likely will be late 2023.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
There is zero chance Ford will be able to deliver the Lightning in 2022. If for some reason they get a few out I would not want to be the unlucky owner of those trucks.

The will be losing billions this year due to thousands and thiusands of F150 sitting in lots. They will need to cut cost and also push manufacturing to get all these F150 out.

So far, Ford has been prioritizing new launches during the chip shortage (see Mustang Mach-e) successfully. they understand how important these are for their future. The chip shortage should also be largely resolved by then unless there is another disruption.

I expect limited production of the Lightning in 2022, almost entirely driven by their battery supply chain, but they will deliver.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
For a $100 refundable non-commitment, 90% of these reservation holders will have dropped the $100 on a Hummer, Rivian and Cybertruck as well.
I think it's good there's a "number at the deli" but it's not first come, first served, it's highest MSRP combined lowest reservation number.
Once production gets through the initial build quality and there's a larger battery option, then I'll be walking up to the counter with my "day one" reservation number.
It's so far into the future, who knows what the market for an electric tow vehicle will look like … the sooner Ford drives an F-150 Lightning coast to coast and back, the better.
They need to prove the range and the charging network support and real world actual rates of charge. I'm sure a lot of Lightning buyers are experienced Tesla owners and they know "a lot of dots on the network maps and $5" will get you a coffee while you wait an hour for your Tesla to charge. I won't be in a hurry to replace my F-150 Hybrid with a Lightning till it measures up (and I think the Hybrid sets a high bar.)
I just convinced the wife to replace her leased Toyota Corolla Hybrid with the Pro version standard range while I keep my 2021 Power Boost Hybrid. We truly need both…the Pro will make our daily commute around town picking up livestock feed, haul water and wood to keep us warm. The Power Boost to pull our Toy Hauler into the mountains while we relax and play. I think the EV trucks are not gonna be capable of doing both for some time into the future. I too, have a hundred bucks on the Cybertruck but I think the Lightning Pro will be the better decision on my part.

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
So far, Ford has been prioritizing new launches during the chip shortage (see Mustang Mach-e) successfully. they understand how important these are for their future. The chip shortage should also be largely resolved by then unless there is another disruption.

I expect limited production of the Lightning in 2022, almost entirely driven by their battery supply chain, but they will deliver.
I am not sure what you call successful? They delivered 6000 cars in the first quarter and that represents 1.3% of their sales.

US: Ford Sold 6,614 Mustang Mach-E In Q1 2021 (insideevs.com)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I am not sure what you call successful? They delivered 6000 cars in the first quarter and that represents 1.3% of their sales.

US: Ford Sold 6,614 Mustang Mach-E In Q1 2021 (insideevs.com)
They are at just under 13,000 total at the end of June. Off pace from the 50,000 they were targeting for the year, but still respectable.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/02/ford-reports-mustang-mach-e-sales-increase-for-june-2021/

Batteries are the main bottlenecks for all EVs at this point. For the Lightning, we know 2022 production will be limited (guesses of how many are all over the place but typically between 40k and 80k for the year). Given the Mach-e is off pace (so far), the lower end of that range is probably more accurate. We will learn more from the 2nd half of 2021 for the Mach-e.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
There is zero chance Ford will be able to deliver the Lightning in 2022
If I remember correctly, Ford promised late 2020 deliveries of the Mach-E at the time of their reveal. The first people got their deliveries in January 2021 which is pretty good, especially in the midst of a global pandemic. I would not be surprised if the first deliveries creep to the summer, but highly doubt that it will be delayed to 2023.

Chip supply is likely to catch up with demand before the F150L goes into production, so I don't think that will be a factor.

Either way, I would bet $5 that the first F150L deliveries will happen before the first Tesla CT deliveries.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
They are at just under 13,000 total at the end of June. Off pace from the 50,000 they were targeting for the year, but still respectable.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/02/ford-reports-mustang-mach-e-sales-increase-for-june-2021/

Batteries are the main bottlenecks for all EVs at this point. For the Lightning, we know 2022 production will be limited (guesses of how many are all over the place but typically between 40k and 80k for the year). Given the Mach-e is off pace (so far), the lower end of that range is probably more accurate. We will learn more from the 2nd half of 2021 for the Mach-e.
Correction to myself - this was just US sales numbers

Overall production numbers are much higher (over 40k so far and Ford is on plan to significantly beat their 50k plan)

"So far this year, Ford produced 34,779 Mach-E, while cumulatively it's over 41,000. We guess that the majority were sent to Europe."

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
What type of millage are you getting with your hybrid?
mpg is 18.x most of the time, just looking at it now 17.9 but I've been driving around town and using the loud pedal a bit more than usual … most of the miles on the odometer are freeway (95% long distance hauls) and that's a pretty reliable 18.x though I've sometimes "played" with trying to stay above 20 mpg for as long as possible, the amusement of that game wears off, then I just go back to driving as fast as possible … time is money … gas is cheap versus time.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150

ummmmm, Ford will not deliver the Lightning in 2022 but they might deliver a few?

Lol…………..pick a side dude and stick to it.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Interesting.

My reservation is dated May 20, 2021, first 20,000. Better start getting my affairs in order.

Based on Ford meeting its MachE production goals which were seriously disrupted by the pandemic, I think Ford will do as it has projected, start delivering in Spring 2022. I'd expect mine about this time in 2022.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Interesting.

My reservation is dated May 20, 2021, first 20,000. Better start getting my affairs in order.

Based on Ford meeting its MachE production goals which were seriously disrupted by the pandemic, I think Ford will do as it has projected, start delivering in Spring 2022. I'd expect mine about this time in 2022.
My res is dated the 19th but I expect plenty of people will be on youtube and spotify showing off their new Lightning before mine is built … if, like Tesla, quality is an issue, I'll just wait till quality improves. Based on my existing F-150, I know Ford can build a truck with zero defects and great paint. Tesla still can't paint a car and I've been very lucky to get three Teslas with zero defects.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
My res is dated the 19th but I expect plenty of people will be on youtube and spotify showing off their new Lightning before mine is built … if, like Tesla, quality is an issue, I'll just wait till quality improves. Based on my existing F-150, I know Ford can build a truck with zero defects and great paint. Tesla still can't paint a car and I've been very lucky to get three Teslas with zero defects.
You're lucky if the rear seat was attached, the bumper didn't fill with water and rip off, or the moonroof didn't fly off at speed.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
You're lucky if the rear seat was attached, the bumper didn't fill with water and rip off, or the moonroof didn't fly off at speed.
Yep. I took the first Tesla in Feb 2016 and just drove it home with a big smile … I knew nothing … luckily it was "a good one" but the horror stories are real and many. I then added a 3 and another X … for a couple of years, the whole family drove only Tesla and the "burn stuff" vehicles were nostaglia or tow vehicles (Ford Excursion 6.0 diesel) or race cars. Then Tesla started to change from cool technology startup to hard nosed car dealer and the bloom was off the rose and all I could smell was raw fertilizer.

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
ummmmm, Ford will not deliver the Lightning in 2022 but they might deliver a few?

Lol…………..pick a side dude and stick to it.
Maybe you missed the word IF in my comment. Better luck next time.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I have some speculation on the matter,

Ford's CEO announced pretty soon after the launch that production will be limited and I think that the number 80,000 was mentioned as their plants expected annual capacity. That likely cooled off the amount of reservations being made.

The low existing and prior Ford owner reservations could be influenced by the shitshow that is the Bronco reintroduction and the various BS involved. I don't think any Ford owner on any Ford vehicle internet forum has been insulated from the stories that will inform corporations what not to do for years to come. It's probably exactly why the Lightning announcement was made so quickly.

Most Ford owners and most car owners in general don't really order their cars/trucks, they just wait until they need a new one and drop in unannounced at the dealership.

The Lightning is novel enough, many if not most existing truck owners will be skeptical and all the misinformation and old yarns will scare them away until they see one of their neighbors with one. The dickheads at my local dealership tried to pitch the V6 Ecoboost by saying that all the other potential buyers who wanted a V8 were fine with the V6 after buying one because the dealership won't stock V8s and they had no choice. So it's only a matter of time time before the same rings true for the electric vehicles, one of the honest salesmen mentioned how 3/4 of the Bronco Sport models he sold were to people who came in to look at the real Bronco but he still managed to sell them a tarted up Ford Escape!
Sponsored