• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Does the reservation number even actually matter? I've heard from others that all that matters is how quick you get your actual order in. Once you get your converted order in you fall into line to get your truck.

The only other anomaly is if Ford prioritizes manufacturing certain models before others.

If this is the case, at least we can all stop worrying about Reservation Numbers.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Does the reservation number even actually matter? I've heard from others that all that matters is how quick you get your actual order in. Once you get your converted order in you fall into line to get your truck.

The only other anomaly is if Ford prioritizes manufacturing certain models before others.

If this is the case, at least we can all stop worrying about Reservation Numbers.
The reservation number matters, but it's only one of the factors. With MME, one of the factors was destination. Hawaiian buyers were apparently put toward the end of the line.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The reservation number matters, but it's only one of the factors. With MME, one of the factors was destination. Hawaiian buyers were apparently put toward the end of the line.
Not saying you're incorrect, just curious, how does the reservation number matter? Are they staggering sending out order forms (early reservations receive their order forms first)? Do they have an order cut off date so getting your order in first doesn't matter (ie: Order by October 1st to have your reservation number and place in line honored)? With the potentially small number of these being manufactured a difference of 10,000 in your reservation/order number could equate to months of extra waiting...

All I've heard was once you order you're put into an order queue...destination does make sense, as would prioritizing more expensive models (like what Tesla did with Model 3). Tesla was a little more transparent about prioritization though.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Not saying you're incorrect, just curious, how does the reservation number matter? Are they staggering sending out order forms (early reservations receive their order forms first)? Do they have an order cut off date so getting your order in first doesn't matter (ie: Order by October 1st to have your reservation number and place in line honored)? With the potentially small number of these being manufactured a difference of 10,000 in your reservation/order number could equate to months of extra waiting...

All I've heard was once you order you're put into an order queue...destination does make sense, as would prioritizing more expensive models (like what Tesla did with Model 3). Tesla was a little more transparent about prioritization though.
With MME, those who reserved earliest, generally were in the first group of builds. My reservation was a week after introduction. That translated to 2 months after the first bunch were built.

According to Sandy Munro, Ford told him they are not prioritizing more expensive trims. Ford wants to make sure that they make nice with fleet buyers, and just satisfy lifestyle truck buyers. Tesla is different in that even if they start selling cybertruck tomorrow, it's doubtful they'll have any fleet sales.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Maybe you missed the word IF in my comment. Better luck next time.
The word If, at the beginning of the second sentence is contradicting your first sentence hence the reason you should pick a side and stand on that stance instead of trying to save face. ?

Luck is not needed.

Have a good weekend.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I think it's good there's a "number at the deli" but it's not first come, first served, it's highest MSRP combined lowest reservation number.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out because this isn't how the Bronco has worked, and not how they're telling people the F-150 will work.

This is how many EVs have worked, like Tesla, Porsche, etc., but not so much Mach E and there are lots of base Broncos being delivered early, not all loaded WIldtraks or whatever.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro

This Ford Dealer website actually has quite a bit of good info spelled out:

https://www.flammerford.com/custom40.html

The most relevant answer:

• “Is there any benefit to converting a reservation to order earlier within the Jan 20th – Mar 19th period?” No. The customer’s reservation time stamp will stay attached to the order. The time stamp will help determine build priority. Converting a reservation earlier will not impact production timing.

So, whatever order window you are in (presumably the first one if you have an early reservation), your priority is based on your Reservation Time Stamp, and when you ordered within that window doesn't matter.

Of course, there are other factors like region, parts availability, etc. that inevitably affect delivery timeline, too, but all else being equal, reservation time stamp is a big factor and actual order date (within an order window) isn't.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
This Ford Dealer website actually has quite a bit of good info spelled out:

https://www.flammerford.com/custom40.html

The most relevant answer:

• “Is there any benefit to converting a reservation to order earlier within the Jan 20th – Mar 19th period?” No. The customer’s reservation time stamp will stay attached to the order. The time stamp will help determine build priority. Converting a reservation earlier will not impact production timing.

So, whatever order window you are in (presumably the first one if you have an early reservation), your priority is based on your Reservation Time Stamp, and when you ordered within that window doesn't matter.

Of course, there are other factors like region, parts availability, etc. that inevitably affect delivery timeline, too, but all else being equal, reservation time stamp is a big factor and actual order date (within an order window) isn't.
That's good – production will be staged and batched per order window. That gives control to the customer to postpone a month and wait for quality to sort out or rush in FKOTB (first kid on the block.)

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I have some speculation on the matter,

Ford's CEO announced pretty soon after the launch that production will be limited and I think that the number 80,000 was mentioned as their plants expected annual capacity. That likely cooled off the amount of reservations being made.

The low existing and prior Ford owner reservations could be influenced by the shitshow that is the Bronco reintroduction and the various BS involved. I don't think any Ford owner on any Ford vehicle internet forum has been insulated from the stories that will inform corporations what not to do for years to come. It's probably exactly why the Lightning announcement was made so quickly.

Most Ford owners and most car owners in general don't really order their cars/trucks, they just wait until they need a new one and drop in unannounced at the dealership.

The Lightning is novel enough, many if not most existing truck owners will be skeptical and all the misinformation and old yarns will scare them away until they see one of their neighbors with one. The dickheads at my local dealership tried to pitch the V6 Ecoboost by saying that all the other potential buyers who wanted a V8 were fine with the V6 after buying one because the dealership won't stock V8s and they had no choice. So it's only a matter of time time before the same rings true for the electric vehicles, one of the honest salesmen mentioned how 3/4 of the Bronco Sport models he sold were to people who came in to look at the real Bronco but he still managed to sell them a tarted up Ford Escape!
I was in a Ford dealership last week and overhead three or four sales types all complaining pretty bitterly that the Bronco is not what they expected, but I sat in one and really liked it. It's not something I need and I wish it had a much better engine option, but build quality was tight and paint was impressive, features and design were all impressive. They seemed to think it was too big (?) and that it was not as much of a slam dunk on the Jeep Wrangler as they expected (and things like disliking IFS without apparently understanding what they were talking about.) When I sit in a Wrangler or Gladioli, it's a cramped, cheap, old-fashioned cabin that throws back to last century (and mpg, and on-road handling are not ok.)
Anyway, I didn't realize there was any problem with the Bronco rollout, but reading your post, a quick google and sure enough, it's a mess – quality problems and long production delays.
Here's hoping the Lightning is being produced by an entirely different team of people.
Also, I agree, the Bronco "lite" is a pretty feeble use of a respected brand … a chintzy body kit on a cheap compact crossover …
All that said, if Ford makes a plug-in hybrid V6 Bronco with a sheet-ton of power and torque, I could well see one of those in the driveway as fun weekender and a safe vehicle for our kids to fight over who gets the keys.
p.s. this damn forum has got me actually excited to get the Lightning … until I got the F-150 Prius, I was really not expecting to take the Lightning, but this '21 F-150 has been such a solid machine with zero problems, I'm enthusiastic about the Lightning.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
No its not at all nice try though. My first sentence is my stance, the second sentence is a statement saying IF (there is that word again) for some reason they do (back to the first sentence) which I don't think they will I wouldn't buy one.

Reading comprehension next time bud.

Have a nice weekend no need to be a weird fan boy here, I think we all like Fords.
While Ford won't be losing "billions" (just deferred revenue) from chip delayed F-150s, the reports describe 60,000 vehicles … Ford is not making 100,000 per truck … there's definitely the concern that an informed buyer would not want one of those first few thousand trucks that have sat around and put together under non-QA processes.
Personally, based on zero facts or data, I think Ford will be quick to deliver the F-150 Tesla. Once Ford starts delivering tens of thousands of Lightnings, it will send seismic quakes through GM, RAM, Tesla and others. Right now, all of the competitors are announcing delays. If Ford delivers the Lightning on time, it wins a lot of business from people with a $100 "reservation" with GMC Hummer Rivian R1T or Tesla ClusterTruck.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
While Ford won't be losing "billions" (just deferred revenue) from chip delayed F-150s, the reports describe 60,000 vehicles … Ford is not making 100,000 per truck … there's definitely the concern that an informed buyer would not want one of those first few thousand trucks that have sat around and put together under non-QA processes.
Personally, based on zero facts or data, I think Ford will be quick to deliver the F-150 Tesla. Once Ford starts delivering tens of thousands of Lightnings, it will send seismic quakes through GM, RAM, Tesla and others. Right now, all of the competitors are announcing delays. If Ford delivers the Lightning on time, it wins a lot of business from people with a $100 "reservation" with GMC Hummer Rivian R1T or Tesla ClusterTruck.
I agree..Ford seems poised to strike the market while they have the only truck EV truck in town. Why compete when you don't have to?

They have a really impressive start. Elon keeps saying CT but where are his production ready models? Does anyone outside of Elon's circle think his CT is ready to go primetime? If he is ready why isn't he showing it to media? I think CT is at least a year away, maybe pushing 2yrs if things keep going the way they have.

Out of the three only Ford has a model that looks and drives like you could buy it off the lot tomorrow.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I agree..Ford seems poised to strike the market while they have the only truck EV truck in town. Why compete when you don't have to?

They have a really impressive start. Elon keeps saying CT but where are his production ready models? Does anyone outside of Elon's circle think his CT is ready to go primetime? If he is ready why isn't he showing it to media? I think CT is at least a year away, maybe pushing 2yrs if things keep going the way they have.

Out of the three only Ford has a model that looks and drives like you could buy it off the lot tomorrow.
They are a start up that still has a lot to prove, but Rivian seems right there as well and will likely beat Ford to Market (though at what volume - that remains to be seen).

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
They are a start up that still has a lot to prove, but Rivian seems right there as well and will likely beat Ford to Market (though at what volume - that remains to be seen).
Who’s the start up you’re referring to……Rivian ?

Overall, the Rivian will not be competing with the F150 because it’s a much smaller truck and more of a lifestyle vehicle.

I do think that whichever EV truck hits the market first, other brands won’t be far behind.

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
Just
Ford has just published its first-half 2021 financial report and we can see that the cumulative number of reservations for the Ford F-150 Lightning stands at 120,000!

Here are the disclosed reservation counts since reservations opened on May 19, 2021.
  • 20,000 in 12 hours (announced May 20)
  • 44,500 in 48 hours (announced May 21)
  • 70,000 in about 8 days (announced May 27)
  • 100,000 in three weeks (announced June 9)
  • 120,000 in over two months (announced July 28)
Ford also shared that "about three-quarters" of reservations come from customers new to the Ford brand.
"F-150 Lightning – an electric version of the most popular vehicle in the U.S. for more than 40 years – generating 120,000 reservations since its unveiling in May, about three-quarters of them from customers who are new to Ford"
If we are keeping this list up to date, we should add 130,000 reservations announced September 2. (Source: Ford F150 Lightning electric pickup has now 130,000 reservations — is it good or bad? - Electrek )

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ens-commitment-to-american-manufacturing.html

This release from Ford states production expected to begin mid-2022 for F150EV. That date was projected 09/2020 and did not consider delays due to current supply chain disruptions.

If Ford meets the target of mid-2022, initial production will be slow working out glitches in manufacturing process, employees learning new jobs, resolving any quality issues with parts, etc.

If Ford builds vehicles strictly according to time stamps (unlikely due to part availability), those first F150EVs won’t be on dealer lots until almost a year from now.

My point is, regardless of your place in line, your build spec, etc., everyone is in for a long wait.
The information you are referring to is out of date.

The official vehicle introduction from May 29,2021 states DELIVERIES will start spring 2022. There's no way they start production mid 2022 and meet this timeline.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford.../05/19/all-electric-ford-f-150-lightning.html
Sponsored