• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sinister front.

Jonny Hotnuts

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Forrd
Ford F-150 Lightning Sinister front. 387220219_10228731319763913_9144323885497573320rill_n

Pic taken directly after radar Bluecruise test to verify functionality. (All was good)

Good:
-Build quality and fit and finish are exceptional.
-Looks great.
-Lightweight (compared to OEM and the stuff you remove.)

Bad:
-Zero instructions. This was a problem. You can get away with this with a normal truck without radar, tons of sensors, active air dams etc. But our trucks are loaded and tricky. But even things like how it is necessary to modify the oem sensor cups to accommodate the thicker aluminum wasn't hard, but required a level of creative thinking and fabrication skills. Some (*any) direction this would have saved hours of research and trial and error.
-The bumper has a design flaw. It's an easy fix but something they should correct in production. (Note the exposed radar sensor in the picture) This is located behind the laser-cut grill/plastic panel. The problem is they used nuts on the back of the panel. There is no (like none) egress to access the back of the nuts while the bumper is installed. MEANING it is impossible to adjust (or even install) the radar sensor without this panel removed. The correct thing to do from a production standpoint would have been to tap the flange thread and allow the screws to be removed from the front without requiring a nut for retention. Piece of cake, right? BUt now I am forced to get some slightly larger retainers and perform this mod.
-No front license plate provisions. I'll figure something out.
-Rear bumper is not available yet.

The install . . . without instructions . . . woof. But I have devised a method for radar sensor alignment that has worked perfectly and didn't even require a recalibrate with forscan. All systems tested working (prox and Bluecruse) first attempt. How often does that ever happen!?

Overall . . . It's awesome. But there is no doubt I will lose a few miles per charge at high-speed driving. (*And honestly do not think the weight savings will have any real difference on low speed. It will help some but so will removing the useless spare tire.) But I dont give two poops about a few miles range. You don't install something like this concerned about squeezing every last mile out of it.

~C

Also note:
I will be happy to answer any questions on how to install this bumper if anyone else has the stones to try it.

UPDATE:

As mentioned before, It is impossible to access the nuts on the back of the radar. I had to tap the holes so the screws could be removed without needing a nut. I will attach the little black abs panel to the back using VHB. THis is a necessary mod that must be performed in order to have access to the sensor. No problem but get ready to do it if you are planning on this bumper.

Ford F-150 Lightning Sinister front. 1697411740166

Ford F-150 Lightning Sinister front. 1697411756811

Without the ABS backer. I will get that done tomorrow. But at least the panel can be removed from the front now.

Ford F-150 Lightning Sinister front. finished

New oversized retainers that can be removed. Easy. Note the OEM retainers in the other pics. Virtually identical in size and appearance.

~C
Sponsored

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
Congrats. Sounds like a big undertaking - all the best!

Also, we need to see some better pictures with an overall shot of the bumper, and even the whole car if possible. TIA!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jonny Hotnuts

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Forrd
Congrats. Sounds like a bug undertaking - a the best!

Also, we need to see some better pictures with an overall shot of the bumper, and even the whole car if possible. TIA!
Will do. I need to put a shim at the top mount to pull the wings at the corners tighter to the body (about an inch gap. I want a consistent .5") I will take some pics once I get that done and it's not raining.

UPDATE ON PROJECT:

I just ordered the lights (*note, that while I am sure other kits/configurations will work, it was really designed for the Rigids 36113 (qty. 2) and the Baja 447567 kit.) They even have provisions inside the bumper for these lights.

THis being said . . .

I was quite surprised by how much $$$ these lights cost. I had no idea that off-road lighting was so expensive. Just an FYI if anyone is planning on installing this piece.

They are scheduled to arrive Oct 25 or so.

~C

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Will do. I need to put a shim at the top mount to pull the wings at the corners tighter to the body (about an inch gap. I want a consistent .5") I will take some pics once I get that done and it's not raining.

UPDATE ON PROJECT:

I just ordered the lights (*note, that while I am sure other kits/configurations will work, it was really designed for the Rigids 36113 (qty. 2) and the Baja 447567 kit.) They even have provisions inside the bumper for these lights.

THis being said . . .

I was quite surprised by how much $$$ these lights cost. I had no idea that off-road lighting was so expensive. Just an FYI if anyone is planning on installing this piece.

They are scheduled to arrive Oct 25 or so.

~C
We're so excited to see how your Lightning turns out!

OP
OP

Jonny Hotnuts

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Forrd
We're so excited to see how your Lightning turns out!
Thank you, Mr. Company!

UPDATE:
Ford F-150 Lightning Sinister front. 4

Ford F-150 Lightning Sinister front. 5

These guys came in today. The quality is outstanding. These lights are as close to AC/Mill spec as I have seen in an aftermarket component.
They are surprisingly heavy for their size, however. No biggie, but I will say that with these, and the other lights installed, the weight will be close to OEM.

This being said.

Does anyone have any idea how these are wired on the lighting? They are purpose-made for the Raptor:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/product...pocket-light-kit-ford-2017-2020-f-150-raptor/

I am assuming they are wired (-) to frame and (+) directly to the 12v battery and mount an aux switch somewhere. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on the switch and the placement? I want it to look as OEM as possible.

Tks,

~C

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jonny Hotnuts

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Forrd
Update:

I noticed my phone was NOT taking pictures correctly. Turns out the lens on my phone got shattered. Thankfully, they make a very inexpensive replacement glass that can be installed without disassembling the phone. It's on order. Should be here tomorrow.
I mention this because you will see a number of the pics on this update have 'ghosting' and weird spectrum prismatic anomalies in the following:

Ford F-150 Lightning Sinister front. missing bolts

Test fitting the new lights. Note the missing retainers. I was able to access the nuts through the 4" holes for the lights . . . but there was no access when them installed (*cable tie is to temp the pigtails so they didn't hang.)

Ford F-150 Lightning Sinister front. tappin

The 'fix' was to tap the holes so the retainers could be removed without the need for a nut. This is a design flaw from Sinister. I WISH I could look at the engineer face to face so I could give him/ her a condescending head shake of disapproval. This should have been done in the factory.

Ford F-150 Lightning Sinister front. hangin

Tapped with new SS fasteners. Dummy (me) bought 8 (*needed 10) Also note that these were $4.18 EACH. I opted for SS due to road salts and deicers. The black oxide turns rusty and make brown tears. And no one wants brown streaks; brown streaks are never good, ever.

Ford F-150 Lightning Sinister front. nose

Wing and forward lights installed. It really adds to the visual of the bumper. I wouldn't say it is 100% necessary. . . but it kinda is. Factor yourself in doing the lights. It's the right thing to do.

Now, I need to find a suitable (visually/functionally) switch and a practical location to mount it. And I need to build a custom harness. (Ironically, I worked at a company that fabricated wiring harnesses for Ford cars/trucks just after HS. It gave me a pretty good handle on the processes-standards FMC uses in their production wiring.)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a breaching location in the bulkhead for the harness?

Tks,

~C

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
Looks great but sounds like a huge time and financial investment. Sure looks good though

OP
OP

Jonny Hotnuts

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Forrd
Looks great but sounds like a huge time and financial investment. Sure looks good, though
Thank you, Mr. Boon.

You are correct. However, all aftermarket parts, with the exception of a few, typically always require some degree of unexpected labor/parts/fab. Some more than others. THis bumper proved to be on the top end of the spectrum.

Truth be known, at least for me, is part of the enjoyment of doing this sort of thing . . . But then again (*not to sound like a 'D') I am lucky enough to have the tools, equipment, fabrication, and engineering experience to do this sort of thing.
I expect it with projects like this and, in many regards, revel in the struggle. I hope that by posting the real-world aspects of these installations will help other people know the true burden (financial and labor) if they intend on doing the same sort of mod.

~C

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Great write up! I’ve had my eye on that kit for a while. As you obviously know it’s a financial commitment tho. Maybe Santa will feel generous this Christmas! Love the tips! Keep up the thread 🤙🏼
Sponsored