• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

1,000 mile trailer trip impressions

Hambone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport, 2011 F150
Occupation
Home Inspector
First big camping trip out with the new truck and thought that I would share a few details.
Truck: 2021 3.5 EB with max-tow package.
Trailer: Rockwood Roo 233S, (5000 lbs unloaded weight)
Both the truck and trailer were loaded with gear, 5 passengers + dog (!), water (58 gallons), food, 200 lbs of firewood and two small dirtbikes.
1,000+ miles from central Idaho to South central Utah; one large mountain pass and multiple smaller passes. Never once felt that the truck had inadequate power at any point and was a big improvement over my 2011 5.0 F150. Cruised very easily at 65 mph and had the truck up to 80 mph on several stretches.
Gas mileage was better than the 2011 5.0 (6 mpg) averaging 8.6 mpg. Set up with a quality equalizer/sway hitch and I did not have any issues with trailer sway during the trip except for a few serious crosswinds that knocked us around a bit.
Ford F-150 Lightning 1,000 mile trailer trip impressions 5

Ford F-150 Lightning 1,000 mile trailer trip impressions 4

Ford F-150 Lightning 1,000 mile trailer trip impressions 3

Ford F-150 Lightning 1,000 mile trailer trip impressions 2

Ford F-150 Lightning 1,000 mile trailer trip impressions 1
Sponsored

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
Great news. Thanks for posting. I really love the pop-out beds of that Roo TT. Seems super efficient. I am doing CA to Utah, Idaho, Montana, Oregon this summer and will be dialing in my trailer with the new truck on a couple small trips the next couple months.

OP
OP

Hambone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Home Inspector
Great news. Thanks for posting. I really love the pop-out beds of that Roo TT. Seems super efficient. I am doing CA to Utah, Idaho, Montana, Oregon this summer and will be dialing in my trailer with the new truck on a couple small trips the next couple months.
This was also the first trip out with this new trailer and I am really loving the design and functionality. Tongue to bumper length is 24' 10" but has three queen beds, slide-out dinette/bed and a sofa bed. I've tented it most of my life and with three kids it was finally time to get back into a TT to keep my sanity. I previously had a 27' TT and I just don't like towing that length and it restricted where I could actually go; this TT is nimble enough to go most places.

What areas of Utah, Idaho and Montana are you planning to visit? I am originally from Utah (SLC and Moab), lived two years in Montana (Red Lodge) and now reside in Idaho (Near Ketchum/Sun Valley).

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This was also the first trip out with this new trailer and I am really loving the design and functionality. Tongue to bumper length is 24' 10" but has three queen beds, slide-out dinette/bed and a sofa bed. I've tented it most of my life and with three kids it was finally time to get back into a TT to keep my sanity. I previously had a 27' TT and I just don't like towing that length and it restricted where I could actually go; this TT is nimble enough to go most places.

What areas of Utah, Idaho and Montana are you planning to visit? I am originally from Utah (SLC and Moab), lived two years in Montana (Red Lodge) and now reside in Idaho (Near Ketchum/Sun Valley).
Very cool on the trailer set-up. Sounds perfect with kids. We are heading from S. California to Dinosaur National Monument to do a 5 day rafting trip on the Yampa/Green. Meeting up with more family after so we are doing a little zigzagging from there to Flaming Gorge, Stanley ID, Boise, Island Park/Yellowstone, Missoula, Glacier, and then heading home back through Idaho, Washington, and Oregon to try to keep it under 4 weeks. I wanted to get into Wyoming/South Dakota, but ran out of time. Longest vacation we have ever taken.

OP
OP

Hambone

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Home Inspector
Very cool on the trailer set-up. Sounds perfect with kids. We are heading from S. California to Dinosaur National Monument to do a 5 day rafting trip on the Yampa/Green. Meeting up with more family after so we are doing a little zigzagging from there to Flaming Gorge, Stanley ID, Boise, Island Park/Yellowstone, Missoula, Glacier, and then heading home back through Idaho, Washington, and Oregon to try to keep it under 4 weeks. I wanted to get into Wyoming/South Dakota, but ran out of time. Longest vacation we have ever taken.
Sounds like a great trip. Dinosaur is a fun spot and rafting on the Green will be a nice refresher from the heat.
Check the weather daily before driving as Flaming Gorge, Vernal and parts of Idaho can be very windy at times.
Go to the Buffalo Bar in West Yellowstone for good food and beer.
We are just over an hour from Stanley and spend a lot of time in the basin during the Summer months. Redfish Lake is gorgeous but also very crowded. For a break from the crowds, try Alturas or Petit Lake and be sure to bring a kayak or SUP if you've got one. Let me know if you need ideas on boondocking areas in the Stanley Basin.
Have a great time and safe travels when it comes time!

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds like a great trip. Dinosaur is a fun spot and rafting on the Green will be a nice refresher from the heat.
Check the weather daily before driving as Flaming Gorge, Vernal and parts of Idaho can be very windy at times.
Go to the Buffalo Bar in West Yellowstone for good food and beer.
We are just over an hour from Stanley and spend a lot of time in the basin during the Summer months. Redfish Lake is gorgeous but also very crowded. For a break from the crowds, try Alturas or Petit Lake and be sure to bring a kayak or SUP if you've got one. Let me know if you need ideas on boondocking areas in the Stanley Basin.
Have a great time and safe travels when it comes time!
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely contact you on Stanley. I was a month late on booking a campground up there so I am going to have to wing that - not my idea to travel in the summer with the crowds but lots of teachers in my family so that's when they can travel. Getting something first come first serve does not sound appealing, and now with the Pro Power I am looking forward to exploring the boondocking approach. You are the second one to recommend the kayak so that's my plan.
Sponsored