• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

502A package Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control HELP please on lifted truck

Jimmy Young

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-F150 lariat
I have a 2021 F-150 Lariat with 502A package under 4k mileage. When I bought the truck last year it was already lifted 6” and 35’s on it from dealer as one of their dealer special trucks. I bought in AZ but spend 90% of my time in CA.

First and biggest problem intelligence adaptive cruise control problem……It works like it should, speeds up slows down just fine. Here is the BIG problem. When driving through the desert on a 2 lane HWY in my direction and I am in the fast last and speed set to 75MPH as I approach an 18 wheeler the truck radar acts up like the 18 wheeler is in my lane and hard breaks. It’s so dangerous that it does this. Now it does not do it on every 18 wheeler but sometimes 3 to 4 in in row then might not do it for 3 to 4. I hate it.

The 2nd problem is the lane assist and lane centering. When all activated, I can see the lane assist on the dash go from center to touching the line color change and I can feel the wheel vibrate but that’s it. It will not bounce back it will just keep going over the line into the next lane. I can live without this but not the hard breaking when intelligence adaptive cruise control is on.

I have brought it back to the dealer 3 times now in AZ for the intelligence adaptive cruise control and the lane assist lane centering problems. They have re calibrated all the sensors, so they say. But as I drive back to CA this weekend and same thing keeps happing. I can’t go to my local dealer in CA since the truck lifted by the dealer in AZ. They don’t seem to be able to fix this and I don’t know what else to do. I can’t drive 300 miles and keep dropping the truck off for nothing to be fixed. They do acknowledge the problem and they don't know what else to do.
Sponsored

Last edited:

My42waffles

First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 power boost 157, lightning reservation
Occupation
Maintenance
ask The dealer if they re leveled to sensor before running the calibration on it since the lift might have tilted it up too much. As for lane centering, what do you have that set for? Because there is assist and the there is just alert for it. Alert is usually the vibration you feel from it and nothing more.

OP
OP
Jimmy Young

Jimmy Young

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-F150 lariat
ask The dealer if they re leveled to sensor before running the calibration on it since the lift might have tilted it up too much. As for lane centering, what do you have that set for? Because there is assist and the there is just alert for it. Alert is usually the vibration you feel from it and nothing more.
Thanks for the reply 42waffles

They have told me that they did do the leveling before they recalibrated all the sensors. They have spent hours on it.
As far as the lane centering and assist. When I turn off assist and use just lane centering it does nothing to hold in the lane it will just veer out of the lane. My wife's car has this feature, and it works perfect. So when assist is on or off and cruise control and lane centering on it will not stay in the lane at all.

VeganF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum
So I have an 18 play with all these options. Did a road trip from WAshington to Colorado and experienced the same thing with the dynamic cruise control. Whenever a truck would be in front of me, even 10-20 car lengths truck would brake hard, I think the sensors thinks it a wall I’m driving into, was annoying but I think it’s just normal sensor radar sensitivity. Having lane control active on, I.e. steering wheel vibrate and Auto steer turn wheel back into lane. I have seen the auto steer not activate until the truck basically crosses the line. It works but just much later when both are on. If only the lane assist is on it will turn wheel much sooner. So to recap I believe your truck sensors are working per design. It’s annoying just have to live with it
As an engineer I just say “it’s a feature”! ?

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
So I have an 18 play with all these options. Did a road trip from WAshington to Colorado and experienced the same thing with the dynamic cruise control. Whenever a truck would be in front of me, even 10-20 car lengths truck would brake hard, I think the sensors thinks it a wall I’m driving into, was annoying but I think it’s just normal sensor radar sensitivity. Having lane control active on, I.e. steering wheel vibrate and Auto steer turn wheel back into lane. I have seen the auto steer not activate until the truck basically crosses the line. It works but just much later when both are on. If only the lane assist is on it will turn wheel much sooner. So to recap I believe your truck sensors are working per design. It’s annoying just have to live with it
Going to say that is not normal behavior and you probably want to get truck checked out also. I have had mine since January 2021 and have not ever had this happen. Not sure if OP meant 2 lanes as in 2 lanes each direction, or one direction each way, but I spend a lot of time on both with cruise control set 70-75 and have never experienced this once. The only time I get hard braking is when the speed limit is reduced (or it gets a bad read on a speed limit sign) which is really annoying I wish they would just let it coast down to speed.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I believe.. Theory.. is the IPMA needs to have the wheel gap adjusted to the higher setting. There is a calibration for wheel gap. Or height of fender I believe. In Forscan in IPMA Configuration you can set the height. After the height is set it would then need to be recalibrated. Both the ccm and Lane keep camera.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
When you say lane centering on or off, are you just pressing the steering wheel button? Or are you actually going into the sync 4 system under driver assist and adjusting the type of lane keeping that is available via pressing the button on the steering wheel? There are multiple settings, alert, alert + aid, and sensitivity/strength. As well in the cruise control settings, there is a toggle for lane centering on or off. In order for it to work properly, verify that lane keep assist is set to alert + aid, strength/sensitivity high, and lane centering is turned on.

OP
OP
Jimmy Young

Jimmy Young

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-F150 lariat
My wifes car a toyota does not do this at all. It stays centered in-between the lines. Makes for a nice and easy on long stretch driving. The hard breaking is dangerous and scary when it happens for no reason. Thank you for your input.

OP
OP
Jimmy Young

Jimmy Young

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-F150 lariat
Going to say that is not normal behavior and you probably want to get truck checked out also. I have had mine since January 2021 and have not ever had this happen. Not sure if OP meant 2 lanes as in 2 lanes each direction, or one direction each way, but I spend a lot of time on both with cruise control set 70-75 and have never experienced this once. The only time I get hard braking is when the speed limit is reduced (or it gets a bad read on a speed limit sign) which is really annoying I wish they would just let it coast down to speed.
2 lanes in the direction that I am traveling in. So when I'm in the fast lane and approaching a big rig not always but a lot it hard breaks like it reads it in my lane even though it's in the slow lane. This happens even when the road is stright not around bends. Thank you for your response

OP
OP
Jimmy Young

Jimmy Young

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-F150 lariat
When you say lane centering on or off, are you just pressing the steering wheel button? Or are you actually going into the sync 4 system under driver assist and adjusting the type of lane keeping that is available via pressing the button on the steering wheel? There are multiple settings, alert, alert + aid, and sensitivity/strength. As well in the cruise control settings, there is a toggle for lane centering on or off. In order for it to work properly, verify that lane keep assist is set to alert + aid, strength/sensitivity high, and lane centering is turned on.
It's turned on in sync 4. On lane assist I have tried them all. I have it set to alert and assist and strength at highest setting. Thank you for your help.

Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 lanes in the direction that I am traveling in. So when I'm in the fast lane and approaching a big rig not always but a lot it hard breaks like it reads it in my lane even though it's in the slow lane. This happens even when the road is stright not around bends. Thank you for your response
Yeah I have never had this happen - straight lane or bends. I think something is wrong.

Xmerlyn

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Hybrid, 88 Jeep YJ, 19 Harley Ultra
Occupation
Network Engineer
I have a 2021 502A Powerboost with the Bluecriuse Prep pack. (No Download yet, that's another.....) I installed a Rough Country 3" lift with lifted struts. I have Moto Metal 20x10 -24 with General Grabber ATx 33x12.50 R20's. I have a couple bugs I have not figured out yet.

1. Adaptive cruise is working well. No codes or errors
2. Lane keeping seems to be fine
3. Lane centering is not working well. When the truck was stock and I'm in the left lane on the highway it seemed to want to pull to the right. I would fight it and then get mad, let go. It would run to the center line and sometimes over it. Then it would come back to center. This is my second 2021 F-150 Lariat 502A. The first truck did the same thing so I just figured this is just how it is. Now with the lift the lane centering kinda weaves back and forth and does not want to go straight. With a trailer the lane centering is really scary and I just turn it off before it causes a sway condition.

The braking while passing problem I've had on my 2016 Platinum and both 2021 Lariats. It is intermittent. I don't think I've had it happen passing a tractor trailer pulling a standard 48 or 53 foot van trailer. Passing a 4 axle dump truck, or a 18-wheel sand truck it happens 50% of the time. Sometimes I just cancel the cruise before I pass one. My 2016 did it worse than the 2021's.
4. Last thing is the traction control. With my new ATx tires that have tons more grip than the stock Pirelli's if I am in 2Hi and say hammer the throttle from a stop making a right turn the traction control kicks in. If I go to sport mode and 4A it does not.

I hope there is a fix for the lane centering. I am considering going back to stock if I cannot correct it. Has anyone had the weave or got it fixed?

I have not heard of any fix for the intermittent braking, but I know it goes back to 2016 from personal experience.

OP
OP
Jimmy Young

Jimmy Young

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-F150 lariat
I have a 2021 502A Powerboost with the Bluecriuse Prep pack. (No Download yet, that's another.....) I installed a Rough Country 3" lift with lifted struts. I have Moto Metal 20x10 -24 with General Grabber ATx 33x12.50 R20's. I have a couple bugs I have not figured out yet.

1. Adaptive cruise is working well. No codes or errors
2. Lane keeping seems to be fine
3. Lane centering is not working well. When the truck was stock and I'm in the left lane on the highway it seemed to want to pull to the right. I would fight it and then get mad, let go. It would run to the center line and sometimes over it. Then it would come back to center. This is my second 2021 F-150 Lariat 502A. The first truck did the same thing so I just figured this is just how it is. Now with the lift the lane centering kinda weaves back and forth and does not want to go straight. With a trailer the lane centering is really scary and I just turn it off before it causes a sway condition.

The braking while passing problem I've had on my 2016 Platinum and both 2021 Lariats. It is intermittent. I don't think I've had it happen passing a tractor trailer pulling a standard 48 or 53 foot van trailer. Passing a 4 axle dump truck, or a 18-wheel sand truck it happens 50% of the time. Sometimes I just cancel the cruise before I pass one. My 2016 did it worse than the 2021's.
4. Last thing is the traction control. With my new ATx tires that have tons more grip than the stock Pirelli's if I am in 2Hi and say hammer the throttle from a stop making a right turn the traction control kicks in. If I go to sport mode and 4A it does not.

I hope there is a fix for the lane centering. I am considering going back to stock if I cannot correct it. Has anyone had the weave or got it fixed?

I have not heard of any fix for the intermittent braking, but I know it goes back to 2016 from personal experience.
Thats a great write up xmerlyn thanks for all that. We have a very similar deal here. I have a Rough Country lift 6" and I have LT 325/60 R 20 E General Grabber A/TX
amazing tires.

Because I bought the truck from the dealer I don't really know if the lane centering and hard breaking worked correctly before the lift. I have an appointment with a dealer here is So Cal that does a ton of lifted and customs trucks. The dealer I bought the truck from in AZ will take care of any cost if not covered by ford because of the lift. Have my fingers crossed they can fix the hard breaking mainly then the lane centering would be great. I would love to be able to use the blue cruise one day when its available. They should have checked all the features at the dealer before the sale. Its a shame that they sale all this to you yet it does not work correctly.

VeganF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum
Naw truck works fine

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Naw truck works fine
I mean up to you if you don’t want your ACC to work but it is not working correctly if it is braking when a semi in the lane next to you. If you are happy having that happen all power to you I guess, lol.
Sponsored