• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

~825 miles this weekend, Georgia to Alabama, through TN and NC Mountains

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
825 ish miles this weekend, Friday - Sunday.... GEORGIA to N ALABAMA, thru TN and NC Mountains, to N GEORGIA mountains, and back....beautiful, uneventful(nice!), and all stops/charging 'worked', as it should...

Ford F-150 Lightning ~825 miles this weekend, Georgia to Alabama, through TN and NC Mountains 825 miles Fri-Sunday

A) Anniston AL: brand new FORD DEALER DCFC... maxed 100ish kw, but was 'free' since I happened to 'accidentally' use the 'dealer's DCFC, rather than the other brand new one at the far corner of the lot... oh well. I forgoed the 'normal' EA units at the Walmart off the interstate to try this 'new' one.

I activated and plugged in and got started and then went in to find the restroom, and mentioned to a salesman that it makes more sense for a New DCFC unit to have available parking SPACES for arriving customers, as the dealer's own 'stock' of vehicles were crowding the spots all around the unit, with only a very TIGHT space for a large truck, like the LIGHTNING... he was quick to tell me that I was at 'their' DCFC unit... I had passed the 'customer' DCFC unit coming into the lot, which is way out at the far corner, with a LONG walk to the dealer's office... I'm not sure WHY a dealer would have a DCFC, with a PAYMENT CARD PROCESSOR on the unit, and it showing in the Ford Pass App, ALONG WITH 6 Level 2 charge units, for their 'own' use... but, to each his/her own : (

I believe these are BLINK units... I had already activated the DEALER'S Unit from my Ford Pass App, so I sat there until finished...for free.(Photo) I was at the ONLY available space. TIGHT, too! It even says "Ford Blue Oval Charge Network" on the unit...oh well.

Ford F-150 Lightning ~825 miles this weekend, Georgia to Alabama, through TN and NC Mountains DEALER row

Ford F-150 Lightning ~825 miles this weekend, Georgia to Alabama, through TN and NC Mountains FORD DEALER Blink unit

B) Huntsville AL: Mercedes dealer CHARGEPOINT single DCFC 50kw max... not a short stop, but worth it since Huntsville, RocketCityUSA(!), has NO OTHER DCFC commercial chargers...believe it, or NOT(well, until the Tesla SUPERCHARGER 12 unit station on University Dr opens up for the 'rest' of us!). CRazy. But, it works.

C) VW Manufacturing plant in CHATTANOOGA: ElectrifyAmerica Brand New units, 6 350kw 'canopied' stations... a little off the beaten path, but on a Saturday morning, not many worker's vehicles in the HUGE lot, to speak of. Good speed at 118kw ish, but certainly not living up to the 168kw I've seen at other 'HYPER' units...(photo) New HUMMER showed up. I forgoed the 'regular' EA 6-station units at the local Walmart several exits prior... had to 'try' this new set. Probably a LOT less crowded here. Bring your own bathroom, though : (

Ford F-150 Lightning ~825 miles this weekend, Georgia to Alabama, through TN and NC Mountains VW.JPG

Ford F-150 Lightning ~825 miles this weekend, Georgia to Alabama, through TN and NC Mountains VW EA

Ford F-150 Lightning ~825 miles this weekend, Georgia to Alabama, through TN and NC Mountains HUMMER

D) Overnight at HolidayInnExpress HIAWASSEE Georgia, parked all night at their 'EnviroSpark' 240v 7kw Level 2 $2 per hour EVSE... worked out GREAT... 100% for the ride home, done between bed time and getting up at 6am ish timeframe... free breakfast ... ~$20 for 10hrs for ~72% input into that big battery.

Cool system, too, as you 'QR Code' link to a 'pay as guest' input of your payment info, then it emails you a 'Activation' button within the email.. then pressing the 'start now' also brings up a website that 'tracks' your progress... you can even 'pause' the charging, and restart, etc. Nice.

Ford F-150 Lightning ~825 miles this weekend, Georgia to Alabama, through TN and NC Mountains Screenshot 2024-01-07 4.52.54 PM

E) last stop at Kennesaw GA ElectrifyAmerica 10 station 150kw units, and while #10 Ford Pass App showed as 'available', along with 5 others, the attempt to use #10 resulted in a eventual 'fault', and an email receipt with $0 charge. I then moved my truck at an angle to move quickly over to #9, and it worked just fine, running about 113kw for a good part of the charge window, dropping below 100, and even below 50 when close to 80% or more. Got me the rest of the way home with room to spare.

I, unfortunately, found my neighbor, with a Hyundai KONA, not so fortunate. Looked like he'd never used EA before, or maybe ANY DCFC unit... tried to plug into his car(the very front, like a LEAF), but didn't seem to know 'if' it was actually plugged in, or 'clicked' or not. He then tried to Activate the unit, by tapping his phone to the card reader, but, no, still nothing... he eventually left.. : ( I didn't know enough about 'paying at the pump' to be able to help him. I am SPOILED with the 'Automated Activation' from the Ford Pass App, and have not had to 'pay' separately, other than the Level 2 at the hotel, for probably over a YEAR of thousands and thousands of miles of travel and camping.

All in all, we are seeing more and more Infrastructure improvements for our CHARGING needs, and the 'worry' grows less and less... I worried not one bit this trip. I did not stop at a single Walmart, either. I am waiting for a trip were I can come close to one of the new FlyingJ/Pilot 'canopied' 'drivethru' station, with bathroom and convenience store and coffee next door!
Sponsored

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Excellent review and thank you for bonus picture of the Hummer EV. Haven't seen one in NH yet, though I know there aren't too many anywhere!

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
Excellent review and thank you for bonus picture of the Hummer EV. Haven't seen one in NH yet, though I know there aren't too many anywhere!
Whole bunch of them here in Cali.