• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Family trip from Middle TN to Asheville NC - Lightning range stats and experience

Bugs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning
Occupation
Technology
This past weekend I took the family (wife, 7, 4 and 10 month old) to family camp in Weaverville, NC (outside of Asheville). This was my first trip in the Lightning ER with Max Tow.

I put a lot of planning into this because there aren't many DC charging options in Tennessee but @vandy1981 had made a similar trip with stops at the same EA stations so I decided to pull the trigger and go.

Left Murfreesboro with 90% SOC with a planned stop at the EA Knoxville. When I got there one 350 kWh charger was out, the other had 2 people waiting so I put mine on the 150kWh charger because we had some shopping to do anyways. I charged back up to 87% (54% added in 55 minutes, $17.60) because my plan was to make it to camp then drive back to the EA Kodiak station so I wanted plenty of charge.
Leg 1- 164.1 miles driven, 2.5 mi/kWh

Next stop was Weaverville so I decided to take the more "scenic" route instead of stay on I-40 the entire time.
Leg 2- 111.8 miles driven, 2.3 mi/kWh but got 23 miles regen during the drive.

I lucked out and was able to plug into a 120V outlet at the camp so I "charged" for the 36 hours my truck sat there and got 68 miles added back

Left Sunday with 67% SOC to get to EA Kodiak taking the "scenic" route again.
Leg 3- 83.5 miles driven, 3 mi/kWh

Pulled into the EA Kodiak station (after dropping the family off at the Bass Pro). Hooked up to the 350 kWh charger, it got up to 167 kWh but dropped quickly but still got 27% added back in 21 minutes for $6.72.

Left EA Kodiak to head to Buc-ee's Crossvile (we still had to stop even though I didn't need gas, only missed it going out because the wife was asleep).
Leg 4- 87.1 miles driven, 2.3 mi/kWh

Left Buc-ee's to head to the EA Cookeville station. I didn't need to stop, I had enough to get home but I wanted to check out the station. It was really nice, pull through station so anyone towing, that would be the place to stop at. Sat there for 10 minutes, got 20% added back for $3.20.
Leg 5- 33.6 miles driven, 2.6 mi/kWh

Last part was to finally head home.
Leg 6- 62.1 miles driven, 2.6 mi/kWh

Being in Tennessee and August, we had the AC (65) on with cooled seats, mainly kept cruise on at 72 on I-40. Total was 542 miles driven with 60% being highway (324 miles). I was impressed with the mi/kWh on the truck (overall got 2.5 mi/kWh), slowing down does help a lot. Saved a lot on gas, probably would have been over $100 versus $27 charging. The infrastructure does need to get built out A LOT more for this to become more of the norm, there are only 9 EA stations in the entire state of TN...

Overall the trip was a success, the family enjoyed it (for the most part, the kids didn't understand why my truck didn't have a DVD player like the mini van).
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Glad the trip went well! I hope Buc-ee's gets around to putting chargers at more of their locations. It's the perfect place to kill 30 minutes while charging.

OP
OP
Bugs

Bugs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning
Occupation
Technology
Glad the trip went well! I hope Buc-ee's gets around to putting chargers at more of their locations. It's the perfect place to kill 30 minutes while charging.
They would definitely get more of my money and it’s a great place to waste time charging.

and thanks for the insight to make the trip.