• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Advice on Frunk Plastic Paint Repair

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
Long story short, using the unlock door code the frunk opened unexpectedly in the garage while up against a wall... rubbing off paint while trying to open.

Anyone have advice on touching this spot up or am I doomed to pay 6000-9000 dollars to get the whole frunk repainted or something?

Ford F-150 Lightning Advice on Frunk Plastic Paint Repair 20230118_152756
Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I am partial to Sharpie permanent makers for plastic touch ups. Won't look perfect but will look good enough
Ford should also make a paint pen in that color. That may work

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'd have it wrapped before repainted.

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@F150ROD @Pioneer74 -- Thanks for the advice. You mean instead of having it repainted have it vinyl wrapped instead? Or did you mean paint and then put PPF on top?

Does anyone have experience with this - do you need to take the frunk/grill front off to wrap it? I probably should start searching around.. that's an interesting suggestion!

Sponsored

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I had the same thing happen to me. It was awful feeling. There is a lariat grille on eBay. But it’s $1000, a vinyl wrap would be cheaper and look better.

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
@F150ROD @Pioneer74 -- Thanks for the advice. You mean instead of having it repainted have it vinyl wrapped instead? Or did you mean paint and then put PPF on top?

Does anyone have experience with this - do you need to take the frunk/grill front off to wrap it? I probably should start searching around.. that's an interesting suggestion!
If that was my truck, I would have it vinyl wrapped to match the wheels. Carbonized Gray. Or maybe gloss black.

It is pretty easy to take off. Just look for the thread about installing the front LED emblem.

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If that was my truck, I would have it vinyl wrapped to match the wheels. Carbonized Gray. Or maybe gloss black.

It is pretty easy to take off. Just look for the thread about installing the front LED emblem.
Great advice - I found the video you're talking about - yea you just remove a bunch of plastic clips and a few easily accessible screws and it's out.

Looking at some other therads - I think something like gloss black xpel PPF could probably do the trick for the grill. Think it'll look pretty great with iced blue silver. https://www.xpel.com/ultimate-plus-black-paint-protection-film

I have a shop that'll probably put that on for me. I'll check with them tomorrow!

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Talked to my usual shop today. They can do the vinyl, said PPF wouldn't stick with all the indents so needs to it must be vinyl. Said it'll be 600-800 bux depending on how long it takes. I mentioned being able to take the grill off to make it easier and they said they already have diagrams for all of that so that won't be a problem / their ready.

Still probably cheaper than getting it painted at a body shop. Scheduled for a couple weeks from now; I'll post a pic when all done.

OP
OP
Griddlez

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wanted to follow up on this post since I got some good advice here. I did indeed go with getting the grill wrapped in gloss black vinyl. About 600 bux. I think it came out great!

Ford F-150 Lightning Advice on Frunk Plastic Paint Repair 20230203_163058

Ford F-150 Lightning Advice on Frunk Plastic Paint Repair 20230203_163102

Ford F-150 Lightning Advice on Frunk Plastic Paint Repair 20230203_163111

Ford F-150 Lightning Advice on Frunk Plastic Paint Repair 20230203_171147