• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone thinking of swapping in a Platinum grill?

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
The truck looks pretty good, but IMO even the grill that comes on the Lariat looks cheap. Matte black plastic has always screamed base model to me. It's what you got when you didn't option up enough to get body colored trim. I know the kids aren't cool with chrome anymore, but the gloss black Platinum grill looks decent enough. Is anyone else thinking of ordering a replacement grill and swapping it in? I'm guessing the job won't be too bad as it is just part of the frunk, and I'm assuming it's just plastic with no electronics baked in so the price shouldn't be too steep.

Edit: I wonder what the grill would look like if painted body color? Clearly it would be a departure from being "truck like" but perhaps it would be attractive in a more modern EV way.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I actually prefer the Lariat grille - it blends better with the headlights (at least in photos).

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
From what I've seen I think they could have done better with the front, but don't figure I'll be doing anything major to swap out or change what is there. I guess time will tell what options come to market.

I could see myself putting a tinted cover over the light that goes across the hood - that is an ugly white when not lit.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
You could just vinyl wrap that section in gloss black or any color you would like.

The tall flat solid front grill of the Lightning is just going to be a magnet for stone chips anyways, more so than the ICE variants. Might be best to leave it unpainted, unless you get it PPF'd.

If it wasn't for the open grill and the radiator on the ICE trucks there would be shit tons of stone nicks on the front grill of those F-150 trucks.

That is why the first thing I'm doing to my Lightning as soon as I take delivery is a full frontal PPF job.

OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The vinyl wrap is a good approach. I'll have to look into that, especially if acquiring a replacement grill has a long lead time or is otherwise prohibitively expensive. I actually have a few cans of plastidip left over from another project and a can of glossifier. Worth a try since it is so easily removed.

PPF sounds great (and is great) but isn't worth it on a non-collector vehicle IMO. It's just too expensive unless you're able to DIY, and that is not a particularly easy process to get right.

Sponsored

trackstar1319

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
Occupation
Appraiser
Just placed my order for the Lariat and I was actually thinking of something like vinyl or the Plat grill. Can't wait to see what some people come up with.

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Eternal Vestibule
I will probably swap it. I want to change wheels too. I'm hoping the grille is extremely easy to swap.

kWfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning-ER Lariat
You could just vinyl wrap that section in gloss black or any color you would like.

The tall flat solid front grill of the Lightning is just going to be a magnet for stone chips anyways, more so than the ICE variants. Might be best to leave it unpainted, unless you get it PPF'd.

If it wasn't for the open grill and the radiator on the ICE trucks there would be shit tons of stone nicks on the front grill of those F-150 trucks.

That is why the first thing I'm doing to my Lightning as soon as I take delivery is a full frontal PPF job.
What would frontal ppf cost you? I had a full ppf on MME and it was $5800. Love itπŸ’š

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
What would frontal ppf cost you? I had a full ppf on MME and it was $5800. Love itπŸ’š
You could repaint the entire vehicle for that price - if not cheaper!

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
I will probably swap it. I want to change wheels too. I'm hoping the grille is extremely easy to swap.
I checked the grill prices today. Dealer cost before markup was 660 dollars for the pro and 950 for the chrome xlt with the others priced in between. I did not check retail prices. The light bar was also rather expensive. It does not appear you can add the light without changing the grill. It actually mounts to the frunk after removing the grill. It may not be hard to add the light but will definitely be expensive.

Sponsored
OP
OP
beatle

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow, pretty pricey for what appears to just be a piece of plastic on a pickup. A vinyl wrap should provide more options for finish anyway.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
watch the next 30 seconds of this video

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
cant seem to find the part number for the platinum grille, has anyone dug that up and mind providing it for me. TYIA!

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I’m looking for an XLT or above grille also.

Pro NL3Z-8200-AB
XLT NL3Z-8200-CB
Lariat NL3Z-8200-EA
Platinum NL3Z-8200-DA
Sponsored

Reactions: s_c