• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone tow an Airstream basecamp yet?

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I am really interested to see what efficiency is with the basecamp which should be very aerodynamic.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
What is the overall height and width compared to a traditional style airstream? I know there's at least a few people out there that have towed airstream trailers. If the height and width are less on the Basecamp, then I would expect slightly better economy. If it is just as tall and wide as a traditional airstream than I would expect about the same economy. Weight will factor in much less than the aerodynamic profile.

OP
OP
LightningMcqueen

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
What is the overall height and width compared to a traditional style airstream? I know there's at least a few people out there that have towed airstream trailers. If the height and width are less on the Basecamp, then I would expect slightly better economy. If it is just as tall and wide as a traditional airstream than I would expect about the same economy. Weight will factor in much less than the aerodynamic profile.
it has a completely different shape and profile than standard airstream.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I don't even think you're going to notice it.

I haven't seen a basecamp but I have seen/read a few people who have towed the fiberglass travel trailers and they reported minimal hit, if any.

For anyone not visualizing a Basecamp, it's not an airstream like you might be thinking. This is Airstream's entry into the ~16ft travel trailer market.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LightningMcqueen

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I know towing it will be a non issue. I am only concerned about the impact on the F-150L range. I am hoping it is significantly better than the 1.0miles/kWh that most campers are getting

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am only concerned about the impact on the F-150L range.
That's what I'm talking about. Those 1mi/kwh tow examples were all 6-10K trailers. The little popups and teardrops (like the basecamp) didn't even affect range at all from the few people who posted their experiences. It's going to be significantly better than 1--might even get all the way to 2, especially if you're driving under 60mph.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
That's what I'm talking about. Those 1mi/kwh tow examples were all 6-10K trailers. The little popups and teardrops (like the basecamp) didn't even affect range at all from the few people who posted their experiences. It's going to be significantly better than 1--might even get all the way to 2, especially if you're driving under 60mph.
You are going to see an impact with a Basecamp. I'd estimate 1.2-1.4 mi/kWh at 70 mph.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You are going to see an impact with a Basecamp. I'd estimate 1.2-1.4 mi/kWh at 70 mph.
This isn't the video I was thinking of when I first responded, but it's another tear drop tow where he averages 2 mi/kwh.

I put a link to the exact point where he shows his efficiency for the trip:

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
This isn't the video I was thinking of when I first responded, but it's another tear drop tow where he averages 2 mi/kwh.

I put a link to the exact point where he shows his efficiency for the trip:
That's 2 mi/kwh at 60-65 mph with a tiny trailer. The Basecamp isn't really a teardrop trailer--good luck getting more than 1.4 mi/kwh at 70 mph with it.
Sponsored