• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone with MAX TOW package ever exceed the limit?

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I might need to tow a trailer a short distance with loaded weight just over 10KLBS. Wondering if anyone has real world experience.

If so, care to share some tips?
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
You would be exceeding all types of limits if you towed it on public roads.

Check out the owners manual and associated towing guides from Ford.

Towing at or just below max rating isn't easy to begin with, you are 100% on your own when going over any of the limits.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
While Heliian is correct of the liability aspect, all engineering comes with a safety margin. Now what that is sadly only Ford knows but if you figure in normal things it is 5-10% safety margin you might be able to go over for a few hundred pounds with out anything seriously happening. 🤔🤷‍♂️

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Back in the day I got away with a lot of stupid sh$t towing farm equipment on our rural county roads. What I learned was tongue weight, weight balance, speed, springs, and brakes mean something. A west coast long haul trucker (Seattle-LA Farmers Market run) gave a big hint. The towing rig (truck plus empty trailer) should be close to the product weight and as I vaguely recall his long frame Kenworth weighed ~26,000 and the trailer ~14,000 empty and that about equaled a full load (40,000 lbs) of potatoes/apples etc.

My learning experience was towing 3 tons of berries on a 1 ton trailer with a D200 (3/4 ton) at ~2.5 tons. At about 800 pound tongue weight it towed fine under 50 mph. But I put a 4.5 ton tractor loader backhoe on the same trailer, probably had less than 500 pound tongue weight and the load was rearward w/hoe hanging out the back and due to the short tongue plus unbalanced load, scared me to death. Ended up going barely 30 mph for 12 miles of backroad white knuckle driving. Plus no way in hell could those 40 year-old brakes have helped.

20 years later I used the same trailer to haul a Rolligon swamp tractor to eastern Wa. But I towed it with a ‘99 7.3 Super Duty. Truck & trailer probably equaled or slightly greater than tractor and I went over a scale at 19,900 and that F250 did fine. And it had good springs and brakes. And about 1250 on the tongue. Oh.. and speed magnifies your errors.

I’ve no experience with my Lightning but I watched TFLs towing test up the 8% Ike and they were impressed with stability and power-overall drive-ability of Lightning towing at max rating.

I wouldn’t make a habit of overloading though.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I might need to tow a trailer a short distance with loaded weight just over 10KLBS. Wondering if anyone has real world experience.

If so, care to share some tips?
You're likely to exceed payload/GAWR prior to exceeding trailer weights typically. I haven't gone over 10k, but I did go over payload as a result of some overzealous bed loading while towing a 9000lb trailer and the truck not so nicely flashed a weight limit exceeded message on the dash.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
You're likely to exceed payload/GAWR prior to exceeding trailer weights typically. I haven't gone over 10k, but I did go over payload as a result of some overzealous bed loading while towing a 9000lb trailer and the truck not so nicely flashed a weight limit exceeded message on the dash.
That is good information right there - never occurred to me that I might get yelled at by my truck!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
At this point I don't really trust the bed scales. I took a load to the dump recently and the truck told me I was over weight by a little (~1730lbs). Scale at the dump read 800lbs exactly....
Sponsored