• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can now buy air struts for lightning

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
https://www.universalair.com/product-p/11-s-ford-lightning-22.htm

these are same ones used in Texas Metal TV show.

I did confirm that cost is for all corners.

just wondering now if this is something I could do myself?

another consideration is I really only need rear air to keep level Under load. I would be fine with spring in front.
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
cost is for all corners
Looks like you'll also need an air and control pack for another 1600$.

Might be a good option down the road when they need to be replaced anyway.

I am still on the fence with airbags in general, it adds complexity, cost and maintenance. My lightning rides like a dream as is. Being able to level on the fly would be nice though.

jredondox

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

eRockBoon

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro (extended range)
Let us know how it goes and what it looks like!

Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Air systems have gotten a lot more robust, with more aftermarket strut options when they fail. I wouldn't spec a luxury vehicle nowadays without air.

@jredondox Curious how much more efficient it is on the highway in the lowest mode. Should be better. Maybe 0.1-0.2 kWh/m. That's my guess at least.

Acottrell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Iced Blue ER
Would this allow for me to lower the height when on the freeway? It would take a lot of freeway miles to justify the cost, but lower height will still get better efficiency, right?
Decent chance it would change the suspension geometry causing increased tire wear.

Old Aviator

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum 06 Magnum SRT8 23 Ocean One
Occupation
Consultant
Universal is great to work with. Years ago I had a problem with my Magnum SRT8's front end being so low it hung on parking bumpers and you didn't know it until you backed up and the front end ripped off (all plastic). They built me a custom airbag system for the front end. I did not need a tank since instant response is not required but I can set the front end to normal height and when need raise it about 4 inches to eliminate hang up on parking bumpers. And since I can raise the front end my SRT can be placed on a roll-on if needed. Roll-ons can't load the normal SRT-8, the front end gets damaged when it hits the ramp. I think I did that 10 years ago and it still works great. Can't recall the exact cost but it was less than having to replace all the front-end body work and now that SRT front assembly is almost impossible to find.

Sponsored

Lui

First Name
lui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning
Would this allow for me to lower the height when on the freeway? It would take a lot of freeway miles to justify the cost, but lower height will still get better efficiency, right?
Correct u can adjust it as u wish. Efficiency should be better however don't know if will justify the cost. I am thinking to do it but still in doubt. This is a video of the final product.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Correct u can adjust it as u wish. Efficiency should be better however don't know if will justify the cost. I am thinking to do it but still in doubt. This is a video of the final product.
OK, that's cool, I wished they demonstrated more of the up and down action.

Did they just mount that tank directly in front of the LVB? That's going to be a huge pain in the ass when it comes time to change it, or complete the CSB23B70 recall 😬

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

I think the truck looked better stock. The white filler panel didn't look right.

Lui

First Name
lui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning
OK, that's cool, I wished they demonstrated more of the up and down action.

Did they just mount that tank directly in front of the LVB? That's going to be a huge pain in the ass when it comes time to change it, or complete the CSB23B70 recall 😬
Yeah 😬. Absolutely, if i decide to do it, I'd install it at back bed or spare tire area. The owner of that truck in the video will be having fun accessing the LVB 🥲

MTBAZ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Drilling into the frunk tub through the matt was scary. Way to many coolant and electrical lines for my taste. Not to mention what's the hold force of those screws through the plastic.
Sponsored