• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Canadian Winters (Dealer told me F150 Lightning not the truck for me)

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
what's the issue with charging before you head back? get the lightning! your dealer wants you in for oil changes and other ICE maintenance.

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pending
I regularly do trips from Calgary to Lake Louise in the winter and some times can make it with only one stop at the Canmore fast charger (260 km), but when it gets below -20C forget it. At those temps I get about 230 km of range at those temps driving between 105 and 120 kmh.
Can you clarify? You say 1 stop at Canmore, as in, you can't get to Lake Louise at all without stopping? or you can do the round trip with a single stop?

I keep hearing the horror stories, but I can't imagine that it's worse than my Model S with a much shorter rated range. My experiece is Lake O'Hara (just past lake louise) with a stop at Canmore both directions but still do-able at -30c with the vehicle parked unplugged outside for a couple of days before coming home, I keep my lead foot down to 10kph over the posted limit.

I'm really trying to put the naysayers in perspective. My Model S is rated at 260 miles of range, but is also much more aerodynamic so may not be as bothered by speed and dense air as a lightning. But as long as the lightning can beat my 10 year old Model S, I'm familiar enough with EVs to not worry that it can't beat a F350 diesel with extended tanks!

columbiaskier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Can you clarify? You say 1 stop at Canmore, as in, you can't get to Lake Louise at all without stopping? or you can do the round trip with a single stop?

I keep hearing the horror stories, but I can't imagine that it's worse than my Model S with a much shorter rated range. My experiece is Lake O'Hara (just past lake louise) with a stop at Canmore both directions but still do-able at -30c with the vehicle parked unplugged outside for a couple of days before coming home, I keep my lead foot down to 10kph over the posted limit.

I'm really trying to put the naysayers in perspective. My Model S is rated at 260 miles of range, but is also much more aerodynamic so may not be as bothered by speed and dense air as a lightning. But as long as the lightning can beat my 10 year old Model S, I'm familiar enough with EVs to not worry that it can't beat a F350 diesel with extended tanks!
I may be too late on this response but I mean at below -20 I can’t make it back to the Canmore charging station. Meaning yes I could make it to Louise without stopping, but I wouldn’t make it back. So yes two stops on the Canmore charge station or risk it and hope to get lucky and score one of the two level two destination chargers at Louise.

In regular conditions I would do one stop at the charging station on the round trip from Calgary. I have pushed it and made the full 360 km trip but this means coming back at below 15% battery. I usually opt for the fast charge cause with a 10-20 minute stop I can easily add the juice I need to have a good buffer.

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pending
I may be too late on this response but I mean at below -20 I can’t make it back to the Canmore charging station. Meaning yes I could make it to Louise without stopping, but I wouldn’t make it back. So yes two stops on the Canmore charge station or risk it and hope to get lucky and score one of the two level two destination chargers at Louise.

In regular conditions I would do one stop at the charging station on the round trip from Calgary. I have pushed it and made the full 360 km trip but this means coming back at below 15% battery. I usually opt for the fast charge cause with a 10-20 minute stop I can easily add the juice I need to have a good buffer.
I can't help but be a bit disappointed with that answer. My current vehicle is rated at 60 miles less range, by a manufacturer known for grossly exaggerating their range figures, and it sounds like the Lightning has basically the same range as I currently have.
In the summer, I'm pretty certain I could JUST do the round trip to Louise (though I haven't tried) and at -20c I need to charge one direction, but may get away without charging the other direction (but it would be tight)

Sponsored

columbiaskier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I can't help but be a bit disappointed with that answer. My current vehicle is rated at 60 miles less range, by a manufacturer known for grossly exaggerating their range figures, and it sounds like the Lightning has basically the same range as I currently have.
In the summer, I'm pretty certain I could JUST do the round trip to Louise (though I haven't tried) and at -20c I need to charge one direction, but may get away without charging the other direction (but it would be tight)
In summer I get 400-430 highway. So yes could easily do the trip back and forth. Like I say normally in winter I do one stop but below -20C the range starts to really hurt. 2022 Lightning doesn’t have a heat pump so that’s holding its winter range back a bit. Although I’ll defer to more knowledgeable people on the forum when it comes to heat pump effectiveness as really cold temps

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pending
Heat pumps are useless at those temps, but it's irrelevant anyway because my current vehicle I'm using for comparison also does not have one.

columbiaskier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Heat pumps are useless at those temps, but it's irrelevant anyway because my current vehicle I'm using for comparison also does not have one.
EPA highway range for lightning is around 430 km. However due to its aerodynamics the Lightning’s efficiency goes down a lot if you drive at the speeds most people drive at. Lot’s in the forum about this.

I’d say my summer highway range is more like 400 km if I drive 110-120 km/h.

The distance being talked about is 260 km or 65% of the “real” highway range. 35% efficiency loss for extreme cold to me sounds typical for an EV.

Like some people have said on the forum it’s theoretically possible if you precondition, drive slow, don’t have a headwind etc.

In other words if the stars align and you’re comfortable barely making it back to the house in frost bite conditions then yes it is doable. But for me I’ll stick to an extra charge to keep a buffer.
Sponsored