• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Chrome skull caps replacing with black textured, it's a no go

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
Maybe someone knows the tricks. Also in my pics the other cap ends with the 3 digit. I show only one new cap box.

Well I can say this after reading another post I went and bought Ford black plastic textured skull caps that match perfectly but upon trying to install when I was removing the chrome ones I did notice one difference, there are tabs on the caps, the chrome tabs are in a different place than the plastic ones I bought and show here in my post. I knew I had to break the chrome ones bottom hook tab and didn't want to remove the chrome and then these black ones would not work, so now I am stuck with two black caps and not doing anything. So hard to find videos or anyone showing that they have ACTUALLY replaced these chrome ones with the ones I bought. There also has to be a way to remove these damn skull caps without breaking them, and without dismantling the mirror which I am told that can break easily because it has numerous plastic tabs also. I just wish Ford was f....ing smarter and sold a black out F150 or a Sport like I bought but with all black trim.
Ford F-150 Lightning Chrome skull caps replacing with black textured, it's a no go skull black.JPG
Ford F-150 Lightning Chrome skull caps replacing with black textured, it's a no go skull part no.JPG
Ford F-150 Lightning Chrome skull caps replacing with black textured, it's a no go skull tabs
Sponsored

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
the all black trim or "blackout" trim will probably be offered in 2022. They gave the Ranger one, and i think there's other Ford Vehicles that offer it also.
In the meantime... have you considered painting them black instead?
Using proper scuff, prep and taping/masking off techniques, i have no doubt it can be done in place, on the truck.

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
oh, and i agree on the black out and/or secondary color on the sport option. My 2019 Ranger Lariat was blue with matching gray bumpers, wheels and grille. Love that look. I'd love to have this dark gray wheels, bumpers and lower body paint line on my silver F150.
Ford F-150 Lightning Chrome skull caps replacing with black textured, it's a no go IMG_20190420_170037

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Here are the ones I ordered that worked fine for me -
Ford F-150 Lightning Chrome skull caps replacing with black textured, it's a no go 1636125336583

Looks like they may be the same as your part number, not sure what the 1X means on your box.

Sponsored
OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
the all black trim or "blackout" trim will probably be offered in 2022. They gave the Ranger one, and i think there's other Ford Vehicles that offer it also.
In the meantime... have you considered painting them black instead?
Using proper scuff, prep and taping/masking off techniques, i have no doubt it can be done in place, on the truck.
yes I have, but thought popping the matching black textured ones would be easy and look good, but again yes I have thought of doing that, even if I get the color of the grill would be nice, it's a charcoal color as nothing is "black", most is a charcoal color which I like.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
Here are the ones I ordered that worked fine for me -
1636125336583.png

Looks like they may be the same as your part number, not sure what the 1X means on your box.
yes those are the same as mine. So you have a 21' ? Did you break the chrome ones off at the bottom tab? If these work I have no problem breaking those $100 each chrome ones LOL, to get these on. Thanks.

DennisG

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Smoked Quartz, Powerstroke
I replaced the chrome caps on my 2021 F150 tow mirror with the black caps. Those tabs you circled can be tricky as they need to slide into narrow slots. As for removing the chrome ones without breaking them. Yeah, it's possible , but you have to remove the mirror and take apart some of the housing. There are a couple of YouTube videos. But I wouldn't bother, I tried following the stupid videos and ended up cracking one of the damn mirrors. Expensive dumb ass mistake. Just break the tabs on the chrome caps and save yourself the headache.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
yes those are the same as mine. So you have a 21' ? Did you break the chrome ones off at the bottom tab? If these work I have no problem breaking those $100 each chrome ones LOL, to get these on. Thanks.
Yep, have a '21. I did take the mirrors out (super easy to do, angle them up and out and they just pull right out) but even with that I did brake the bottom tabs on the chrome ones.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
thanks, so with the mirror out you could not push that chrome tab and release it without breaking? To confirm, the mirrors just pull out?

Sponsored
OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
I replaced the chrome caps on my 2021 F150 tow mirror with the black caps. Those tabs you circled can be tricky as they need to slide into narrow slots. As for removing the chrome ones without breaking them. Yeah, it's possible , but you have to remove the mirror and take apart some of the housing. There are a couple of YouTube videos. But I wouldn't bother, I tried following the stupid videos and ended up cracking one of the damn mirrors. Expensive dumb ass mistake. Just break the tabs on the chrome caps and save yourself the headache.
you know, don't you think they could have made this crap easier to remove? Seems like when you buy a package from China and all the packing used is like a maze, you remove it and will never ever get it back together

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
Can I buy the body color mirror caps for my AMB Lightning? I want those and the body color door handles. Thoughts?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Can I buy the body color mirror caps for my AMB Lightning? I want those and the body color door handles. Thoughts?
Unless you can find a used set you have to buy them primed and have them painted.

Also, this thread is from the ICE truck days before the Lighting got its own forum.
Sponsored