• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Co-Pilot Assist 2.0 for 2022 F150 XL?

F150XL_Buyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 XL
Hi All, I recently placed a custom order for a 2022 F150 XL SuperCrew cab with STX package and also with the XL High Equipment group, 360-Degree Camera, Tow Technology Package, Co-Pilot360 2.0, and it will have Sync4 with Enhanced Voice Recognition and FordPass Connect. With all the options I added (not all shown here), the truck will be well above $50,000. After ordering, I realized that Co-Pilot Assist 2.0 is available on XLTs (though not XLs), and it appears to be a simple software update (plus the extra button that can get added to the steering wheel, though that doesn't even seem necessary for the functionality). I travel long distances frequently and would really like to add Co-Pilot Assist 2.0.

With the options above that I already ordered, it appears that XLTs do not have any additional technology that would allow for the addition of Co-Pilot Assist that won't already be installed on my XL. I am willing to pay for the upgrade and it appears that Ford simply does not want to allow XL buyers to be able to purchase Co-Pilot Assist in order to entice buyers to purchase an XLT or above. I've since thought about cancelling the XL order to order an XLT, but there is nothing additional with the XLT that I want, nor can I get the same 20" STX rims with an XLT and I like the front grille on the XL STX package better as well. If I ordered an XLT, I would be getting something I like less just so I could get Co-Pilot Assist, which doesn't any make sense.

Why is Co-Pilot Assist available on cheaper Ford vehicles and on a base XLT that costs $36,630, but not on a more than $50,000 F150 XL? Is this going to change? Is Ford planning to allow F150 XL buyers with the same required equipment to buy and download Co-Pilot Assist eventually? Do you (F150Gen14 forum members) think I should I try to get a Ford dealer to add this for me after the fact? @Ford Motor Company Why won't you let F150 XL buyers pay you more money so we can use this safety feature?
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
If I had to guess, you’re probably missing some hardware like the front radar. Lane centering probably is just done with software unless there is a different front camera for it. I agree ford is just packaging things to make you go up a trim level. I wanted a heated steering wheel and gladly would’ve paid for it a La carte but they wanted to make me go up to a 502A which is like +$6000 and all I wanted in it was the steering wheel heat

OP
OP

F150XL_Buyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 XL
If I had to guess, you’re probably missing some hardware like the front radar. Lane centering probably is just done with software unless there is a different front camera for it. I agree ford is just packaging things to make you go up a trim level. I wanted a heated steering wheel and gladly would’ve paid for it a La carte but they wanted to make me go up to a 502A which is like +$6000 and all I wanted in it was the steering wheel heat
Thanks for your input! That's a really good point and I initially thought that additional radar sensors in the front bumper would be required as well, but it appears that the additional radar sensors are not needed unless you buy the Co-Pilot Active Prep/Blue Cruise setup. For the Co-Pilot Assist option on the XLT (as shown in the picture below), the Ford Configurator only adds the 360-Degree Camera (no front bumper radar sensors). In other forum posts, new XLT owners have said they don't have the front bumper radar sensors with Co-Pilot Assist as well. It's super frustrating to have the necessary equipment and not be allowed to purchase the upgrade, just like in your case with the steering wheel heat. It seems like Ford is missing out on a large amount of sales dollars by not allowing some of these reasonable upgrades.
Ford F-150 Lightning Co-Pilot Assist 2.0 for 2022 F150 XL? XLT

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Thanks for your input! That's a really good point and I initially thought that additional radar sensors in the front bumper would be required as well, but it appears that the additional radar sensors are not needed unless you buy the Co-Pilot Active Prep/Blue Cruise setup. For the Co-Pilot Assist option on the XLT (as shown in the picture below), the Ford Configurator only adds the 360-Degree Camera (no front bumper radar sensors). In other forum posts, new XLT owners have said they don't have the front bumper radar sensors with Co-Pilot Assist as well. It's super frustrating to have the necessary equipment and not be allowed to purchase the upgrade, just like in your case with the steering wheel heat. It seems like Ford is missing out on a large amount of sales dollars by not allowing some of these reasonable upgrades.
XLT.jpg
Flanking the lower smaller grille in that pic there are two black plastic covers on either end. Under one of those in my truck with adaptive cruise is a radar sensor to detect the distance to cars in front. The sensors you reference are proximity sensors for parking to detect things in very close range and therefore not related to adaptive cruise

OP
OP

F150XL_Buyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 XL
Flanking the lower smaller grille in that pic there are two black plastic covers on either end. Under one of those in my truck with adaptive cruise is a radar sensor to detect the distance to cars in front. The sensors you reference are proximity sensors for parking to detect things in very close range and therefore not related to adaptive cruise
Ford F-150 Lightning Co-Pilot Assist 2.0 for 2022 F150 XL? Adaptive Cruise Control Sensor

Awesome, that's helpful and I see now. I just found the picture above from a forum post showing the sensor. I knew the Ford vehicles from a few years ago with adaptive cruise used a radar sensor like that, but I didn't know if it was still used with Co-Pilot Assist 2.0. I guess my next question is if this is the same sensor that is used for Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (which both the XL and XLT have)? I've also read that some Ford vehicles may use the windshield camera instead of a radar sensor like this for Pre-Collision Assist- which may or may not be correct. This Ford video makes it look like it could be the same sensor in both cases but I'm not certain and I wish that some of the details were publicly made clearer.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
There is a radar.. the cruise control module, and there are two blind spot monitors in the front corners below the front headlights the lane keeping and front collision avoidance is done with lidar camera in the front top center of the windshield. Centering is done in combination with the front bliss modules and The cruise module is radar for better distance detection
I’m working on adding it to my truck as I already added a lot of it. I’m waiting on the cruise module now it’s been back ordered for a while.

OP
OP

F150XL_Buyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 XL
There is a radar.. the cruise control module, and there are two blind spot monitors in the front corners below the front headlights the lane keeping and front collision avoidance is done with lidar camera in the front top center of the windshield. Centering is done in combination with the front bliss modules and The cruise module is radar for better distance detection
I’m working on adding it to my truck as I already added a lot of it. I’m waiting on the cruise module now it’s been back ordered for a while.
Thanks, Jesse. That is helpful to know about the front blind spot monitors; I wasn't aware of them yet. Do you think that if an F150 XL has the Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking, Cruise Control and the Co-Pilot360 that it would already have the same cruise control module? Or do you think the Adaptive Cruise Control module be different and not installed in this case?

That's great that you're taking on the project to add these features. I look forward to reading about your success. I think it's well worth the time and money and will probably attempt the same if Ford forces me to go that route... I still think Ford should still give all F150s buyers an option to purchase Co-Pilot Assist. At least there's a potential workaround if needed!

juicepower

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX 4x4 VELOCITY BLUE
Occupation
Integration Engineer
I had to jump in this. I just bought a 2021 (new in 2022 lol) XL 4x4 STX with pre-collison, cruise control and lane keep assist but it seem there are many levels for these options. Ford does a really good job at confusing us. I have a back camera and sensors only on the back and Im still not sure if I have BLIS. How many different levels of BLIS are there? With that said I still love the STX bang for your buck. Would love to add the side mirror cameras and tail light BLIS then update with FORScan if thats an option. Not sure if I have adaptive cruise but I have used the cruise yet so maybe I do have adaptive. ?‍♂

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have a 21 Stx. When I bought it new it had the collision avoidance. On the stx it’s just a warning that pops up in the cluster. It uses the lane keep camera to also determine the potential of a collision. It won’t brake or anything it just warns you.

Blind spot you would know if you have it. The mirrors would flash an orange light in the top corner if there was someone in your blind spot. The only xl I am aware that has bliss has 360 camera.

I did add all the adaptive cruise and full collision avoidance with steering and braking but you have to have the full suite to have that and I’m not sure the xl has that available in that trim.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I had to jump in this. I just bought a 2021 (new in 2022 lol) XL 4x4 STX with pre-collison, cruise control and lane keep assist but it seem there are many levels for these options. Ford does a really good job at confusing us. I have a back camera and sensors only on the back and Im still not sure if I have BLIS. How many different levels of BLIS are there? With that said I still love the STX bang for your buck. Would love to add the side mirror cameras and tail light BLIS then update with FORScan if thats an option. Not sure if I have adaptive cruise but I have used the cruise yet so maybe I do have adaptive. ?‍♂
There are 3 levels:
- Co-Pilot 360: Basic lane keep functions, pre-collision warning, backup camera
- Co-Pilot 360 Assist: Adds lane centering and adaptive cruise
- Co-Pilot 360 Active (BlueCruise): Adds hands free and park assist

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
There are 3 levels:
- Co-Pilot 360: Basic lane keep functions, pre-collision warning, backup camera
- Co-Pilot 360 Assist: Adds lane centering and adaptive cruise
- Co-Pilot 360 Active (BlueCruise): Adds hands free and park assist
Are all of those available for xl?

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Are all of those available for xl?
No, only the base package (Which I think might be standard everywhere). Assist is optional on XLT/Lariat and might standard above that, not positive though. Active is optional on Lariat and above.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
No, only the base package (Which I think might be standard everywhere). Assist is optional on XLT/Lariat and might standard above that, not positive though. Active is optional on Lariat and above.
Looks like 360 Basic is standard on XLT and above. XL High can get it optioned on, but nothing for the standard XL.

juicepower

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX 4x4 VELOCITY BLUE
Occupation
Integration Engineer
I have a 21 Stx. When I bought it new it had the collision avoidance. On the stx it’s just a warning that pops up in the cluster. It uses the lane keep camera to also determine the potential of a collision. It won’t brake or anything it just warns you.

Blind spot you would know if you have it. The mirrors would flash an orange light in the top corner if there was someone in your blind spot. The only xl I am aware that has bliss has 360 camera.

I did add all the adaptive cruise and full collision avoidance with steering and braking but you have to have the full suite to have that and I’m not sure the xl has that available in that trim.
Hoping you can add some feed back with parts and wiring. Nothing specific just clarification since I think Im going to try to upgrade my XL STX since it has 360 basic already.
  • Did you add the tail light BLIS(radar) or just front BLIS(radar) ?
    • If you did add those what do they wire to and how would I get a digram?
  • I think you said you had to add the front CCM. I think this is what is used for the adaptive cruise control. My guess is this along with the steering wheel button is all the hardware needed.
    • Would you have the wiring diagram for what and where this goes to?
  • Did you upgrade your cluster to the 8'? Do you think that is needed or would the lower end 4" cluster probably be fine?
  • I think you said you added sensors to the drive and passenger mirrors too.
    • Was this just the driver monitor camera you are prepping for blue cruise or the BLIS built into the mirrors?
For anyone asking why I just didnt get the upgraded model its because the STX is such a great deal visually. It comes with just enough opinions. With a little time I can add the missing options and save thousands. Replace headlights and tail lights with LED, paint door handles and mirror cap to match paint, add leather seats and heaters to front and back, upgrade my normal cruise to adaptive cruise, add front parking sensors. Shooting to have all this done before the end of this year.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Hoping you can add some feed back with parts and wiring. Nothing specific just clarification since I think Im going to try to upgrade my XL STX since it has 360 basic already.
  • Did you add the tail light BLIS(radar) or just front BLIS(radar) ?
    • If you did add those what do they wire to and how would I get a digram?
  • I think you said you had to add the front CCM. I think this is what is used for the adaptive cruise control. My guess is this along with the steering wheel button is all the hardware needed.
    • Would you have the wiring diagram for what and where this goes to?
  • Did you upgrade your cluster to the 8'? Do you think that is needed or would the lower end 4" cluster probably be fine?
  • I think you said you added sensors to the drive and passenger mirrors too.
    • Was this just the driver monitor camera you are prepping for blue cruise or the BLIS built into the mirrors?
For anyone asking why I just didnt get the upgraded model its because the STX is such a great deal visually. It comes with just enough opinions. With a little time I can add the missing options and save thousands. Replace headlights and tail lights with LED, paint door handles and mirror cap to match paint, add leather seats and heaters to front and back, upgrade my normal cruise to adaptive cruise, add front parking sensors. Shooting to have all this done before the end of this year.
I have a video of my truck on here I’ve done it all. I started with the 8” went to the full digital. Changed to the console shifter. Added the 12”. Also in this thread we discussed the front bliss and I did add it. I thought it was required but it was not. It’s only on the vehicles with bluecruise prep package. The front blis is not required for the lane centering or adaptive cruise. I have also made my truck push to start and passive entry with power tailgate.

I’m adding the B&O next.

I’ve been traveling and drive 17 straight hours from Florida starting Friday at 1 I was going to fly but got a truck and drive it home.

I have been sleeping. So I’ll get caught up on here in a day or so.
Sponsored