• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Now that the mobile charger is itemized in 2023 it can be claimed? Or was it over in 2022
Sponsored

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The tax credit for chargers goes to 2032. I am not a tax expert, but you bought it at a specified cost (and could have not bought it), so why wouldn't it qualify? I guess the reason would be is that the credit is for your home property. Unless you intend to use it for your home property, and not as a travel charger. You can't buy it as a "spare" and get the credit.

Last edited:

EdwinT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, Matrix, 91 Galant VR4 (for sale)
I purchased the emporia 48 for my house but need to also buy a mobile charger. I assume I can claim both? I didn’t see a limit on chargers just a limit on max credit ($1000)

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I purchased the emporia 48 for my house but need to also buy a mobile charger. I assume I can claim both? I didn’t see a limit on chargers just a limit on max credit ($1000)
No. You have to buy the charger for your home property. If you're not putting the mobile charger in to use at your home property (it's for traveling), then it wouldn't qualify. I am not a tax expert, but the wording is pretty clear.

Keep in mind that the total credit is $1,000, i.e. you can spend up to $3,333.33 including wiring.

EdwinT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No. You have to buy the charger for your home property. If you're not putting the mobile charger in to use at your home property (it's for traveling), then it wouldn't qualify. I am not a tax expert, but the wording is pretty clear.

Keep in mind that the total credit is $1,000, i.e. you can spend up to $3,333.33 including wiring.
I don’t read too much into that wording. If it’s doesn’t say one charger only then that’s all that matters to me. I’ll do plan to use it here since I can get the charger sooner than I will have my other one wired up.

my total cost with a mobile charger will be under $1k so I’ll get $300 back

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
This is just my case but I am going to assume it may apply to others. To qualify for the refueling station credit you need to calculate your "tentative minimum tax" if its greater than your "net regular tax" you don't qualify for this credit. I'm not a tax person but this happened to me this year and last year. Without the $7500 vehicle tax credit I qualify for the refueling credit but when I add in the $7500 vehicle tax credit it reduces my "net regular tax" below my "tentative minimum tax" and thereby disqualifies me from the refueling credit. This because the $7500 reduces your "net regular tax". If you file jointly the tax your spouse pays should help to avoid this issue.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is just my case but I am going to assume it may apply to others. To qualify for the refueling station credit you need to calculate your "tentative minimum tax" if its greater than your "net regular tax" you don't qualify for this credit. I'm not a tax person but this happened to me this year and last year. Without the $7500 vehicle tax credit I qualify for the refueling credit but when I add in the $7500 vehicle tax credit it reduces my "net regular tax" below my "tentative minimum tax" and thereby disqualifies me from the refueling credit. This because the $7500 reduces your "net regular tax". If you file jointly the tax your spouse pays should help to avoid this issue.
I believe you mean the AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax).

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I believe you mean the AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax).
You use the form 6251 Alternate Minimum Tax- Individuals to calculate your Tentative Minimum Tax (line 9). You then take that Tentative Minimum Tax from line 9 and put it in line 17 of form 8911 where it says "tentative minimum tax".

256fail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 311A XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I also purchased the Emporia. I’m very happy with the unit for the price. I bought the mobile connector for travel. I plan to just claim the emporia per the tax rules.

EdwinT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also purchased the Emporia. I’m very happy with the unit for the price. I bought the mobile connector for travel. I plan to just claim the emporia per the tax rules.
Per what rules though ? I plan to use both at my house but then also take the mobile one with me. It doesn’t say anything about one per household right ?

Sponsored

Grumpy 44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
30% back, up to $1,000 total. File form 8911 with your tax return. Didn't buy a charger yet? Buy one and file in 2024 for the credit. https://amzn.to/3GHJ9gX
Working on federal taxes with Turbotax yesterday Feb 28. We live in a qualified census tract. Entered costs for charger and electrician installed 24v outlet in 2023. These were hi-lighted with comment that Turbotax will not have their software updated until March 06, 2024.