• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Interesting video on the really low cost per unit of energy in F150.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Conclusion seems obvious before even watching (which I did), but you are going to enrage those who wish to purchase a Lightning Pro. Especially because he said consumers can buy it...

I wonder if he thinks the outlet in the back puts out 9.6kW... it is only 7.2kW.

OP
OP

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Conclusion seems obvious before even watching (which I did), but you are going to enrage those who wish to purchase a Lightning Pro. Especially because he said consumers can buy it...

I wonder if he thinks the outlet in the back puts out 9.6kW... it is only 7.2kW.
He did mention fact that this truck is likely going to be hard to find at this price. His expertise is in the math not car specs is 9.6 vs 7.2kw

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 C Max energi, 2015 C Max energi, 2017 Explore
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
Thanks, good information. I was unable to get a reservation though my salesman like I thought. At any rate now with this video confirms I would need to change my 200 amp home service panel to a 320 amp service. This would be needed to install the 80 amp pro charger/home back-up power unit that comes with the extended battery. This means in addition to the cost of the extended battery, I would need to upgrade from a standard 200 amp service and all the cost of rewiring through a 320 amp service. The Utility would need to install a Net meter, upgrade to 320 amps to the meter and new panel, and the expense for manual or automatic transfer equipment and rising cost of labor. The standard battery just might be the best way to go for me now after looking at the cost and the alternatives.

Sponsored

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
I wonder if he got his 320amp line (on the board, saying you need 320amps to take advantage of the backup power) off of the ford site?

I messaged Tom Moloughney on twitter asking this same question and he said 200 amp service will suffice in many cases. In that chain, Mike Levine and Emma Bergg liked his tweet. So I am going to assume they agree w/ his comment about the 200amp service. He said he'll post something soon up on his Youtube going over the whole intelligent backup system.

OP
OP

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I wonder if he got his 320amp line (on the board, saying you need 320amps to take advantage of the backup power) off of the ford site?

I messaged Tom Moloughney on twitter asking this same question and he said 200 amp service will suffice in many cases. In that chain, Mike Levine and Emma Bergg liked his tweet. So I am going to assume they agree w/ his comment about the 200amp service. He said he'll post something soon up on his Youtube going over the whole intelligent backup system.

There is no reason you would need 320 amp service to backup power if your service is now 200 amps. Phyics sizes the wire from the panel to the pole based on the number of amps of power that the pole might sent to the house. your having backup power doesn't make more power go down the pole. That being said charging 80 amps on a 200 amp service might be totally fine or could be a lot depending on your normal usage. I dont know if anyone makes a smart charger that measures the rest of your usage and lowers down charging when needed.. I think in most cases you can only set a max charge.. But maybe some beast exists

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
He did mention fact that this truck is likely going to be hard to find at this price. His expertise is in the math not car specs is 9.6 vs 7.2kw
It seems that without the Ford/Sunrun HIS the truck can't be coaxed into putting out HVDC through the FCSP connector. To use the F150L is place of a Powerwall would then require additional hardware and hooking up to truck bed connector every time you parked the vehicle. In this regard the Powerwall would be favored.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I was actually thinking the same thing -- the Lightning is a massive bargain even if you just wanted to ONLY use it for off-grid whole house energy storage. Let's say you could buy a used Pro for $40K in the next few years, that would be much cheaper than Powerwalls for 100kWh of battery.

Use the 80amp return service from the truck and power the house overnight, charge during the day with solar.

And if it rains too much during the winter or for whatever reason your solar can't keep up, you can drive it to a charger to get through the low solar period.

Sponsored

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
Except you can’t do that!
There would be so many third party solutions possible that would outperform the Ford/HIS system if the HVDC could be activated without whatever proprietary system the HIS uses. It's a shame that Ford has kneecapped the utility of the truck with this limitation.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Except you can’t do that!
Ah I see it can only return 40amps through the pro-power charger. 40amps is still enough to power a lot of stuff.

I wonder how long it will be before some company figures out how to just remove EV batteries and use them for storage.

Even the bolt has a 65kWh battery and it's dirt cheap. I haven't looked into it much, but I haven't seen anyone selling that much battery for <$15K which you can get a used bolt for.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Ah I see it can only return 40amps through the pro-power charger. 40amps is still enough to power a lot of stuff.
The PP inverters don't have synchronized outputs so realistically the limit is 30amps which is still plenty for most backup power needs.
Sponsored