• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can the Ford HIS function like a Tesla Powerwall?

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
I have a 12Kw solar system with micro-inverters on each panel. The system is currently grid-tied, with excess solar power sold back to the grid. I recently bought a 2023 Lightning Lariat ER and have the Charge Station Pro installed. I'm considering purchasing the HIS system.

I'd like the system to function similar to a Tesla Powerwall as follows:

1) excess solar power is used to charge the F150 131 KWh battery, and only when the battery is fully charged is the excess power sold back to the grid
2) when solar power is not available, the F150 powers the house up to its capability, until it is discharged to a set amount
3) only when solar or F150 power is not available or is inadequate to meet the home needs is grid power used

I've read a number of threads about this, and I'm not clear if the HIS system can do this. Does anyone have experience with a setup like what I'm looking for?
Sponsored

Lampshade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
As I understand the HIS, it can’t act as a Powerwall substitute like you’re describing. The battery on the Lightning will only be used for power in the event the grid power goes offline. It works more like a backup generator.

My plan is to use the 240v/30a connection in the bed to power the house like a gas generator in case of outages. Not seamless but much cheaper than installing the HIS (I think it’s around 11k installed and not very reliable from posts I’ve read on this forum).

Steven Walsh

First Name
Ateven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-159 Lightning SR 2022
Occupation
Architect
I have a 12Kw solar system with micro-inverters on each panel. The system is currently grid-tied, with excess solar power sold back to the grid. I recently bought a 2023 Lightning Lariat ER and have the Charge Station Pro installed. I'm considering purchasing the HIS system.

1) excess solar power is used to charge the F150 131 KWh battery, and only when the battery is fully charged is the excess power sold back to the grid
2) when solar power is not available, the F150 powers the house up to its capability, until it is discharged to a set amount
3) only when solar or F150 power is not available or is inadequate to meet the home needs is grid power used

I've read a number of threads about this, and I'm not clear if the HIS system can do this. Does anyone have experience with a setup like what I'm looking for?

I have the HIIS and it does not do all the things you describe. It only backs up the house during an outage like a generator would. Those other things are pretty cool though!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Emporia can do that (charge using only excess solar) by using their power monitor and EVSE.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

1) Possible as long as your truck is plugged in. It’s not intentional but the truck will charge until full. Your solar would likely generate more than your truck can charge though, so it would also be selling back to the grid while it’s charging your truck.

2) As I understand, this is not possible without additional equipment and programming. It works very much as a backup and not a time-shift by itself. I have mine hooked into my SMA Sunny Islands that allow me to still phase shift and controls the truck as if it’s a generator.

3) The limitation is above. If you’re truly trying to achieve this, invest in some additional equipment and I’d recommend a secondary (primary) battery bank and use the ford as the secondary generator.

OP
OP
deltacap

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
Don't buy a Tesla Powerwall, Buy a Truck:

OP
OP
deltacap

deltacap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Lariat ER
1) Possible as long as your truck is plugged in. It’s not intentional but the truck will charge until full. Your solar would likely generate more than your truck can charge though, so it would also be selling back to the grid while it’s charging your truck.

2) As I understand, this is not possible without additional equipment and programming. It works very much as a backup and not a time-shift by itself. I have mine hooked into my SMA Sunny Islands that allow me to still phase shift and controls the truck as if it’s a generator.

3) The limitation is above. If you’re truly trying to achieve this, invest in some additional equipment and I’d recommend a secondary (primary) battery bank and use the ford as the secondary generator.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Question: Are you using the SMA Sunny Islands by itself, or in conjunction with the Ford HIS/FCSP setup? If you are using the FCSP, can it be induced to output HVDC without the Ford HIS system? Thanks again.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Question: Are you using the SMA Sunny Islands by itself, or in conjunction with the Ford HIS/FCSP setup? If you are using the FCSP, can it be induced to output HVDC without the Ford HIS system? Thanks again.
You can use the FCSP without the HIS, but you can't get the HVDC without the HIS. If you're looking to avoid the expense of the HIS you can do so by using the Pro Power Onboard but you would be getting AC and not DC from it. It would also be a solution that's good for a backup scenario but not so much for a full time, time shift scenario.

Mine is currently separate but will be combined in the near future. I'll be wiring the HIS to be a "generator" to my SI. My SI will call for the "generator" when my battery bank runs low and there's no sun. The truck will then be able to power the house and charge my battery bank. Once the bank is full, it'll turn off the "generator" and go back to powering via the battery bank.

Sponsored

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Mine is currently separate but will be combined in the near future. I'll be wiring the HIS to be a "generator" to my SI. My SI will call for the "generator" when my battery bank runs low and there's no sun. The truck will then be able to power the house and charge my battery bank. Once the bank is full, it'll turn off the "generator" and go back to powering via the battery bank.
Interesting. Do you have a working HIS reliably without problems? Do you have an existing grid-tied solar system besides the SI (off-grid only)?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Interesting. Do you have a working HIS reliably without problems? Do you have an existing grid-tied solar system besides the SI (off-grid only)?
I have a hybrid. I have 2 systems. One is grid tied only. The second is grid tied but regulated by the SI as to when to connect. As for reliably, no I wouldn’t say I could attest to that.

The HiS is not my primary and I haven’t had to use it aside from testing. For me to trigger the HIS I would need essentially a week without sun…

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I have a hybrid. I have 2 systems. One is grid tied only. The second is grid tied but regulated by the SI as to when to connect. As for reliably, no I wouldn’t say I could attest to that.

The HiS is not my primary and I haven’t had to use it aside from testing. For me to trigger the HIS I would need essentially a week without sun…
So, the HIS is really the backup to the backup (SI). You are probably a unicorn even among the relatively few HIS owners out there.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
So, the HIS is really the backup to the backup (SI). You are probably a unicorn even among the relatively few HIS owners out there.
Sort of….its the backup to the backup to the backup. I also have a DC propane generator that’s controlled via relay to directly charge the SI battery bank. i haven’t figured out how to reprogram it to trigger the HIS before the genset yet so right now it’s an either or and I’d like to get both working.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Sort of….its the backup to the backup to the backup. I also have a DC propane generator that’s controlled via relay to directly charge the SI battery bank. i haven’t figured out how to reprogram it to trigger the HIS before the genset yet so right now it’s an either or and I’d like to get both working.
Wow ... perhaps you can use one more automatic transfer switches to achieve your goal.
Sponsored