• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Federal administration proposes new rules for EV charging stations

MAhauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-charging-stations-every-50-miles/7561566001/

These are rules for obtaining federal subsidies to build new charging stations. Here are some of the big takeaways.

1. Chargers must be at 1 mile, or less, from a highway
2. No closed networks. Tesla would have to create chargers for everyone to qualify.
3. No App requirements allowed. Chargers, built with subsidies, will operate more like a gas pump. You don’t need an app to pay and you don’t need a subscription.
4. At least 4 DC fast chargers per station.
5. Mandates chargers every 50 miles along highway

Took this from sister site Macheforum.com
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-charging-stations-every-50-miles/7561566001/

These are rules for obtaining federal subsidies to build new charging stations. Here are some of the big takeaways.

2. No closed networks. Tesla would have to create chargers for everyone to qualify.
3. No App requirements allowed. Chargers, built with subsidies, will operate more like a gas pump. You don’t need an app to pay and you don’t need a subscription.

Seem like pretty good rules to me!

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
How about something in there about uptime?

https://www.businessinsider.com/electric-car-charging-reliability-broken-stations-ev-2022-5

Also, 4 chargers per station is really too few if there will really be loads more CCS capable vehicles out there in the next few years. They should really do at least 8. This would also help mitigate reliability issues (assuming they don't just let 2+ chargers fail before sending someone out.

It wouldn't be so bad to have a station every 75-100 miles if you have enough chargers and keep them working. This would also probably be cheaper and faster to implement. It is rare for an EV car to have under 200 miles of range, so road tripping would still not be an issue.

Sponsored

Peter_F

First Name
Petrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-R & Lightning, Lariat, ER, Antimatter Blue
I sure hope they get moving on this. Almost no L3 infrastructure in Wisconsin.
I second that.

We almost got stranded between Dubuque and Madison in the Mach-E on our way back from CA.

We had 4 miles left when we got to Alliant Energy Headquarters and their 50KW charger.

It gets very cold in the cabin when the heater is off and it’s 34F outside 🥶

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
How about something in there about uptime?

https://www.businessinsider.com/electric-car-charging-reliability-broken-stations-ev-2022-5

Also, 4 chargers per station is really too few if there will really be loads more CCS capable vehicles out there in the next few years. They should really do at least 8. This would also help mitigate reliability issues (assuming they don't just let 2+ chargers fail before sending someone out.

It wouldn't be so bad to have a station every 75-100 miles if you have enough chargers and keep them working. This would also probably be cheaper and faster to implement. It is rare for an EV car to have under 200 miles of range, so road tripping would still not be an issue.
I agree. The nation is just not there yet...but someday it will....and hopefully it doesn't take high ridiculously high gas prices to make it happen.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
It's a desert North of Madison/Milwaukee with the exception of a few 25kW chargers at car dealerships. It has made it hard to visit family in Northern WI in my current EV.

EA is scheduled to to build stations in Wausau and Green Bay so it'll get better very soon.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
L3 specifications do not exist yet...I'm assuming you are referring to DCFC L1 or L2 (DCFC L3 also does not exist yet).

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber

Love these rules!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
L3 specifications do not exist yet...I'm assuming you are referring to DCFC L1 or L2 (DCFC L3 also does not exist yet).
I think the battle's been lost on that terminology :)

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
yes, I assumed DC was L3. More DC charger above 50 kW would be very nice.

Peter_F

First Name
Petrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-R & Lightning, Lariat, ER, Antimatter Blue
I agree. The nation is just not there yet...but someday it will....and hopefully it doesn't take high ridiculously high gas prices to make it happen.
Actually I feel that the infrastructure is there for the major highways. We had no issues driving from Madison, WI to San Diego. Great charging all the way.

Only on the way back did we run into a bit of trouble at the very end, because we “couldn’t” charge to more than 80% at EA.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I think the battle's been lost on that terminology :)
The battle will only heat up with the coming SAE 240 V specifications for L3 (due in the next year or two)
As someone that plays in this area on a day-to-day basis, I want to make sure everyone knows (if not uses) the proper terminology. There is no L3 on the 240 V or the DCFC at this time.

I myself used to use the term L3 for DCFC at one time, but I cannot now to maintain credibility in this segment of the industry.