• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Federal administration proposes new rules for EV charging stations

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
-->The levels of charging:<--
NEC 1999 standards
Level 1: (1Φ AC) 120V, up to 24A (up to 2.88kW)
Level 2: (1Φ AC) 208/240V up to 32A (up to 7.68kW)
Level 3: (3Φ AC) 480V, 400A - 332.6kW

J1772 2017 Standards
Level 1: 120V, up to 16 (120V, 20A circuit) - up to 1.92kW
Level 2: 240V, up to 80A (240V, 100A circuit) - up to 19.2kW
Level 3: Does not exist under the J1772 standard

There are two levels of DC Fast Charging:
DC Level 1: Supplies a maximum of 80 kW at 50–1000 V.
DC Level 2: Supplies a maximum of 400 kW at 50–1000 V.

I'm possibly going to assume that a Level 3 will have to be created for DCFC higher than 400kW
Both will get level 3 standards set...probably sooner than later
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
AC Charging will not get a level 3. That would require 3 phase power, and that's extremely expensive for the average home owner.
That doesn't mean there won't be a standard ;)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
AC Charging will not get a level 3. That would require 3 phase power, and that's extremely expensive for the average home owner.
Overnight charging for commercial trucks/semi's?

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Still level 2 charging. Although, if its 3 phase, its probably DC, and it might be the new MCS system (Megawatt Charging System)
Today yes, I was wondering if 480V a/c charging might be a thing in the future for those use cases.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It would be for commercial use, not home. But at some power level, I question whether it even makes sense to put such a high power charger in the vehicle. A DCFC that could be shared by the fleet should be more economical.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
It would be for commercial use, not home. But at some power level, I question whether it even makes sense to put such a high power charger in the vehicle. A DCFC that could be shared by the fleet should be more economical.
Indeed, you'd likely want to offload the conversion losses to a box outside of the vehicle. The vehicle has enough to keep cool with the battery, presuming such a regulator/rectifier doesn't create packaging issues.

That said, the losses may not be as great as with 120/240 since they are closer to the battery voltage.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Ford has screwed the pooch on 2022 Lightning with a max of 150 KWh. The largest battery on the road almost, brand new truck and that is all they can put in it ? Yep I'm going to be driving one, but that doesn't mean I won't be critical of it.
Your 2022 Lightning probably would have been a 2024 Lightning and would have cost 25% more if they had invested in 800v architecture.

Last edited:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
I also think they are crazy for "No App". Why? Every one of the cars charging there are going to be connected and it truly can make the station much less complicated if you interacted through an app. LIkely less damange and vandalism vs requiring it to be done at the station.

Leave it to our government to always be a step or two behind.
I've only used Electrify America, it has an app.............however, you do not need to use the app to use the network. Plug in and swipe a credit card and charge. Does the app make things easier and cheaper. Definitely, but the app is not necessary for use

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Reading through this thread it appears that there is a lot of misconception about the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program. I strongly suggest that anyone really interested in the NEVI program read through the Texas EV Infrastructure Plan, https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/get...ing Plan/TexasElectricVehicleChargingPlan.pdf. There is also a thread in the Charging subforum that discusses the TX EV plan.

Just to give some highlights of the TX plan, TX plans to spend over $400M of NEVI money over a four-year period. With the NEVI money TX plans to install over 2,500 DCFC chargers at 500 locations. The first year, 2023 the NEVI money will be used to install 272 DCFC chargers at 47 locations along designated Alternative Fuel Corridors and then after, 2024 to 2026 install about 700 DCFC chargers per year at county seats and in Metropolitan Planning Organization areas.

The DCFC chargers along Alternative Fuel Corridors (basically EVERY Interstate Highway) will be located no further than 50 miles apart. When all the county seat and MPO chargers are installed, no place in Texas will be further than 70 miles from a DC fast charger. By the end of 2026 Texas will be saturated with DC fast chargers.

And this is not just Texas. Every state has to develop a similar plan to obtain their NEVI funds. So basically by the end of 2026 every state in the union will be saturated with DC fast chargers. Four years really isn't that long in the big scheme of things but, as us F150L reservation holders know, four years is a very long time when you are looking forward to and waiting for something.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
. So basically by the end of 2026 every state in the union will be saturated with DC fast chargers.
I sure hope this happens. I’m so skeptical, seeing historical government programs fall flat on their face with most of the money wasted. I also know the lead times to get the electrical infrastructure for a charge station is 1 plus years, so another hurdle.

Any chance you get, let your state legislators know how important this is and to get it done!

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Alaska too?
Alaska has its own 2 year program to link its two main cities in 2022 and those cities with the Canadian border in 2023. Basically, it amounts to multiple DCFCs every 90 miles.
It's a big state but with only 3 main roads it's a bit easier to design a charging network.
Sponsored