• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford dealers won't be required to have 24/7 charger access.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
From Ford Authority. " Dealers – regardless of tier – won’t be required to have public chargers with 24/7 access, either. Instead, those chargers must be available from Monday through Friday from 7am to 8pm. "
Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Easy to understand, security.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Ford is trying to reduce the dealer complaints on the new rules. I imagine many dealers will want to carve out an area for 24-7 public access to their chargers, perhaps fenced off, but still getting more eyes on their great inventory of EVs.

OP
OP
jimfigler

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I'm guessing some may have full 24/7 access regardless, just not forced

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Meh... It's like gas stations that close at 9PM.

I can see why they're doing this though. Many dealerships close access to their lots outside business hours so it lets them keep on with their current routine and not provide a section for round the clock charging access. Those that have the room to do it right will probably have 24/7 access because it's just better and will attract more customers / money.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
I wonder how many Ford dealers are even convenient while on trips. Some are right on highway service roads, but most aren’t. I would never want to venture more than a mile or two off of the highway to charge.

Hopefully the dealerships on highway service roads are smart and place the chargers outside of their gated lot for 24/7 access.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I predict a disaster on this. Imagine you are at the dealer charging and they close up while you are there. Like how is that even going to work?!

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I wonder how many Ford dealers are even convenient while on trips.
In Las Vegas, all of our Ford dealers are directly off of the major highways, and would be well placed for folks passing through.

I know when I have driven cross country, I have regularly seen dealerships visible from the highway. And often within practical walking distance of a diner or some such. It's anecdotal, but having them 24/7 would certainly be better than not.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
I predict a disaster on this. Imagine you are at the dealer charging and they close up while you are there. Like how is that even going to work?!
I agree. I think we're in for 5 to 10 years of a real charging mess. Installing a charger isn't profitable and won't be for a long time. That leaves government to subsidize the stations or someone like Ford to force the dealers to install them. Dealers aren't prepared to be convenience centers like the gas stations everyone is used to or the increased traffic.

Sponsored

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
All I've seen are Level 2 chargers, so being stranded at the dealer or finding other transportation out is not really attractive anyway.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I'm guessing some may have full 24/7 access regardless, just not forced
Yes Jim. My small town dealer installed a charger on west wall hanging outside. Where it hangs it would have 24/7 access. Probably not too much cost to have it installed right close to his electric service.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
General motors is spending money to put chargers in Pilot & Flying J's. If the Ford dealers chargers are not going to be convenient then Ford should be doing something like GM instead of requiring dealers to install DC chargers. If the dealers are not willing to make the chargers assessable & help in the adoption of the very vehicles they've signed up to sell, then it makes the dealers less necessary it would seem to me.

Ford needs to make sure the Electrify America connection they seem to have improves & expands or find a better partner.

I was really looking forward to the placement of some dealers in more remote areas having 24/7 assessable chargers when traveling cross country. It would make me more confident in finding a charger.
I don't need a convenience store type situation. When I need a charger I just want a charger & I can find another place to find my snacks etc. until the network of chargers is built.

Last edited:

kwalt21

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I can promise you our dealer will have them on 24/7 in an attempt to recoup the 150K he's spending!!

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I can promise you our dealer will have them on 24/7 in an attempt to recoup the 150K he's spending!!
I believe my local dealer will do the same. For a smaller dealer they seem to believe this is the future & they need to be on board.
Sponsored