• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Fordpass app 'Charging' activation: be aware...

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
as an owner since August, and now over 15,000 miles and loving it, I've come across a Fordpass app problem that we should all be aware of...

IF, you use the Fordpass app to activate charging, like I have come to LOVE...

Make darn SURE that when you go to activate and charge at EA, Chargepoint, EVGo, or any others supported by the Fordpass app, that you remember to make sure that whatever payment method(credit card) you have on file is ACTIVE and able to pay for the charge.

Here's my 'horror story', and it's all FORD TECH related.

I arrived and activated a nice newer EV Go station that I've used several times before, activating it as I arrive with my Fordpass app, which is quite convenient.

I like that not only can you pre-activate these third-party chargers before you even get out of your vehicle, but that FORD is the one who bills and charges your provided payment method, through your Fordpass app 'wallet's default payment method.

You don't have to fumble with third-party charger apps, or maintain balances on third-party app accounts, Ford just charges you the amount your are to pay, period.

Nice.

But, this time was different. I charged successfully, and had no issues at EV Go.

I, did, though, several minutes after leaving, receive an email from FORD, which I expect.

The email is usually the confirmation of charges, how much you used, etc., but this one was different.

This email said that my payment method did not go thru, and it gave me several options to either go into the app/website and update/manage my account/payment methods, or a 'RETRY' button.

Now, since I'd already charged, and was on my way, I got to this later.

When I did, I simply used the 'RETRY' button, which took me to a entry website for another payment method, which I used.

I put in my secondary credit card, hit the 'CONFIRM' button, and received a 'Thank you for your payment' Notification, on screen.

No worries. Right?

I realized later that I'd never received a text confirmation from my credit card, as I normally do.

I also realized that Ford had yet to send any 'normal' payment confirmation email.

Oh well, since I had charged, and I had 'paid', I had nothing to worry about.

uh........ NO.

The next day, while traveling back, I stopped at an EA station I have visited and paid with my Fordpass app before, just like all others.

The app, though, now would not ACTIVATE the station.

It said that my 'Blue Oval Connected Services Account' was now 'ON HOLD'.... what???

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with 'someone' from 'somewhere' at Ford, getting bounced around to different people.

The final 'tech' person said that there was nothing he could do, but he DID see that the screen was showing that my payment was still 're-processing'...hunh???

I've used the same credit card before the charge, after the charge, and ever since, but Ford could not seen to 'use' the card when it was so critically needed.

I finally had to resort to downloading the EA app, inputting all my personal and credit information to establish a 'new' account, have them upload $10 into my 'account', and finally get the station to active thru THEIR app, to then charge me $3.43 to charge.

FORD, for several days of calling and being aggravated that no one could tell me what was wrong, or why they could not correct it, finally had someone DEEP down in the tech department somehow click and mouse and release the account for me to 're-process' ANOTHER payment, again.

Finally, after 3 days of wondering why it would take so long to manage such an easy fix, the app accepted and processed my payment and allowed my account to be 're-Activated'....wow.

So, in conclusion, what happened was that I had two credit cards on my 'wallet' thru my Ford account. Both of them showed as payment methods in my Fordpass app for charging, but the one that showed as the 'default' payment method was no longer available since my credit card company had reissued it with a new number.

I would have never thought about having to go back into the Fordpass 'wallet' or app and removing or updated this card, especially since ANOTHER card was on the same account to be used, mostly JUST FOR THIS PURPOSE.

Apparently, Ford, having two payment methods on your account makes no difference.

The second one will never be used.

Enjoy!
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
so moral of the story is you are responsible to keep your cc info up to date and set correctly.
For all of us in the TLDR category, yes.
Sponsored