• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Same. I'm going Pro with Max Tow (additional cooling + increased tow rating) and 9.6kW output.

There's basically no middle-ground truck anymore.

You either want one of the few hundred pros, or you're looking at $75k+.

The demand for XLT SR is, unsurprisingly, small, because it's an awful value compared to the Pro... which is actually pretty well-featured. Like you said, it's not really barebones.
Well put. And yes, for whatever the reason, Ford isn't making an effort to prop up a "middle-ground" version, as you put it.

That also reveals that the Pro SR isn't likely a very profitable product, but I personally am grateful that they are even willing to sell it to a non-commercial entity. At least for now anyway.
I'm probably in for a long wait, but while I'm waiting I am suffering ? with my Platinum Powerboost. And I actually plan to keep it is why I don't even need the tow package on the Lightning. The Lightning's job is to make me grin with 750ftlbs of torque smiles And to keep the mileage off my expensive truck, if you know what I mean.

My build IF I was in the first wave : (looks Barebones, huh? Lol)

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread). Screenshot_20220104-095326_OneDrive

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread). Screenshot_20220104-095348_OneDrive
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Well put. And yes, for whatever the reason, Ford isn't making an effort to prop up a "middle-ground" version, as you put it.

That also reveals that the Pro SR isn't likely a very profitable product, but I personally am grateful that they are even willing to sell it to a non-commercial entity. At least for now anyway.
I'm probably in for a long wait, but while I'm waiting I am suffering ? with my Platinum Powerboost. And I actually plan to keep it is why I don't even need the tow package on the Lightning. The Lightning's job is to make me grin with 750ftlbs of torque smiles And to keep the mileage off my expensive truck, if you know what I mean.

My build IF I was in the first wave : (looks Barebones, huh? Lol)

Screenshot_20220104-095326_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20220104-095348_OneDrive.jpg
Your "bare bones" build is cheaper than my 2.7 XLT with cloth seats and analog gauge cluster, RWD.

Damn it Ford you "Overpriced" this truck

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
For Sure! Hopefully we will see $25K to $60K Max on that bad boy!
Given it is based on the Hummer platform, and targetting a 400mi range, I expect much more upscale pricing. $60-$70k low end - upper under $90k to $100k

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Given it is based on the Hummer platform, and targetting a 400mi range, I expect much more upscale pricing. $60-$70k low end - upper under $90k to $100k
SSSssssshhhhhhh, let them put their $100 so we can see a rinse and repeat in a couple of months on the Silverado forums....lol....

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Your "bare bones" build is cheaper than my 2.7 XLT with cloth seats and analog gauge cluster, RWD.

Damn it Ford you "Overpriced" this truck
I haven't seen anyone claim the Pro is overpriced. It's way cheaper than a comparable gas version. ($40k minus tax credit vs. $46k for an apples-to-apples gas XL Powerboost).

It's actually probably *underpriced* to hit the $39k number for marketing purposes... as evidenced by the fact that they don't actually want to sell them, and the XLT SR, which has maybe $3k worth of "upgrades" compared to the Pro, is priced $13k higher.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Plus they also have teased the GMC version of the truck, but only available in the high-level Denali trim. No base or SLE trims. So clearly they are targeting the upper levels as well.

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 90 S
Occupation
Student (Aviation Management and Operations) / Farm Manager
I haven't seen anyone claim the Pro is overpriced. It's way cheaper than a comparable gas version. ($40k minus tax credit vs. $46k for an apples-to-apples gas XL Powerboost).

It's actually probably *underpriced* to hit the $39k number for marketing purposes... as evidenced by the fact that they don't actually want to sell them, and the XLT SR, which has maybe $3k worth of "upgrades" compared to the Pro, is priced $13k higher.
Exactly, no one is saying the Pro is overpriced. It's just silly that the most affordable model is supposedly going to be built in limited production for retail purchasers. Moreover, the real issue is that the XLT ER, what should be the bread and butter trim, has messed up pricing.

Reactions: Txm

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
ER is over rated. In 11 months my SR MachE has never made me wish I had an ER battery. Charging away from home on the rare days we drive over 200 miles is pretty much never an issue. I do stop at RaceTrac on occasion to get a free coffee or use my points to get ice cream for the little one.

One time we got home late and I forgot to plug it in and charge. Next day we went 50 miles first thing and ran down to 25% battery. Horrors, I had to plug in an charge for free at Whole Foods as we ate at dinner.

If a person actually drives enough to need ER the $10k will be far more than offset by fuel savings. How many of us actually drive 200+ miles a day every day?
This is dependent on where you live and your normal usage. Many parts of the country do not yet have charger availability.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
A DIY oil change on my 2018 F150 cost me About $80
Wow, how do you manage that? Some Motorcraft synthetic blend or Mobil 1 for about $30-$35 and a $6 Motorcraft filter at WalMart usually does it for me.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
Wow, how do you manage that? Some Motorcraft synthetic blend or Mobil 1 for about $30-$35 and a $6 Motorcraft filter at WalMart usually does it for me.
Just going off my feeble memory, but it was no where near $35

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Exactly, no one is saying the Pro is overpriced. It's just silly that the most affordable model is supposedly going to be built in limited production for retail purchasers. Moreover, the real issue is that the XLT ER, what should be the bread and butter trim, has messed up pricing.
Actually it makes a lot of sense. Those Pro's are mostly going to be sold to Fleet. The Pro's will eventually be available with an ER battery, it's just a matter of being patient. Bait and Switch is offering a vehicle for two months and then completely taking it away as an option......yeah you Tesla.....

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ummm, in order to not start an oil thread I will not mention brands, but there are millions of us that can't find the oil we use at Walmart. Believe me, I would love it if I could. :)

Reactions: TRP

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 90 S
Occupation
Student (Aviation Management and Operations) / Farm Manager
Actually it makes a lot of sense. Those Pro's are mostly going to be sold to Fleet. The Pro's will eventually be available with an ER battery, it's just a matter of being patient. Bait and Switch is offering a vehicle for two months and then completely taking it away as an options......yeah you Tesla.....
Well I wouldn't compare it to Tesla haha. They do not set the bar lol. The Lightning is more Truck than it is EV. Compare it to other F-150's. Most Pros are for fleet for sure anyways, the issue is the XLT vs Lariat.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Exactly! I said this months ago, a comparably equipped hybrid will be 25k less. Where is the value in getting the EV? Aside from driving clean, which is very important to me, there are no savings over ICE. At least not 25k in savings. My wife and I do okay but we aren't rich. So yeah I am way TF out. Too expensive.
My 2021 Lariat 2.7L stickered for $67k. A Lightning Lariat+ is $79k. Seems like a great value to me.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Obviously there is no F150 EV XLT that is a mirror reflection of an F150 CrewCab XLT 302A truck.
To be honest, the Pro SR is only fabric seats away from being a better equipped truck than that XLT 302A.

It's a trim level context issue.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.