• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Diabolical!

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
The issue for me is that from day one, the lightning was advertised as "starting under $40,000 with up to 300 miles of available range". In fact, google that line and I bet you get thousands of results. Of course, everyone knew that the 300 mile range version would be an additional cost, but a $35,000 addition? How can anyone act like this was "to be expected" and not a blatant bait-and-switch? I guess it's a good sign for the economy that so many consumers are willing to be bent over with a smile on their face. I guess the stock market will do really well this year. As for me, I was all set to buy an XLT ER for closer to $60k. Now, I may go ahead and use my day 1 reservation to order the pro with no options. Doesn't matter how long it takes Ford to build it. In the mean time, I can watch the market to see if resellers are making a profit while I wait for it to arrive, then I can either flip it for a profit or abandon it at the dealer before taking delivery. It's good to have options.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
This waiting game to release prices and hoping the tax credit would pass in Congress makes it very clear that these incentives are bullshit. They don't help the consumer because the manufacturers just price the EV up so they just take more profit. I want to see widespread EV adoption but that isn't happening until the battery tech gets more efficient and less expensive. I certainly appreciate the intent of the tax credit but it's not helping me. It's helping Ford. Greed is always gonna be first in line.
That's because you misunderstood the purpose of the credits. They are to allow EVs to have a higher price, to make them more profitable and spur manufacturers to invest in EV tech faster.

Krackla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
I've been excited to own a Lightning since 5/19/21 when I placed my reservation, even checking daily for any available updates. We were led to believe that a car company had finally created an affordable EV truck for the masses. For me it comes down to one fact: No one will be able to buy an extended range lightning for under $74,000.

I had every intention of going to my dealer to place an order tomorrow. This is not what I was hoping to be posting today, but I'm out. Enjoy your new trucks, everyone. They are beautiful.
Same! I was onboard, but to cross the $70K for an XLT with ER is over the top. I know not everyone will be happy, but I cannot imagine paying $75000 for a Ford. I owned 3 different models of theirs, all given to me, and always regretted not selling them right away. I really had strong hopes, but they have priced themselves out of my household. To think I will pay $75K for a no frills truck is not going to happen.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
No frills? Seriously?
How can you possibly know how "filling" ? that $75k Lightning actually is to drive?

You must have had some AMAZING vehicles in the past?

I'm not picking on you even if it looks that way. I actually am sympathetic to anyone discovering their own personal budget has been busted and I also respect anyone who decides to withdraw as a result. But I do suspect that some may be under appreciating just exactly what the product actually is.

There's nothing really comparable to it. In so many ways, in fact. There will be, of course. But not right now.

evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Toyota 4Runner, Sur Ron X electric dirt bike
I wanna meet the dude cross shopping an ID4 or Ioniq and a Lightning ?
Hi, nice to meet you. (yep, reservations on both the Ioniq5 and Lightning)

I wanted the ability to tow/carry my electric dirt bike (Sur Ron X) and then charge it while at the trails. The weigh (~80lbs, 120lbs with battery) requires a strong tow hitch or a bed and many EVs do not offer a tow hitch at all. The ability to actually charge from the vehicle though really narrows it down.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs

I wanted the ability to tow/carry my electric dirt bike (Sur Ron X) and then charge it while at the trails. The weigh (~80lbs, 120lbs with battery) requires a strong tow hitch or a bed and many EVs do not offer a tow hitch at all. The ability to actually charge from the vehicle though really narrows it down.
What power and voltage can Ioniq 5 charge your bike at?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The issue for me is that from day one, the lightning was advertised as "starting under $40,000 with up to 300 miles of available range". In fact, google that line and I bet you get thousands of results. Of course, everyone knew that the 300 mile range version would be an additional cost, but a $35,000 addition? How can anyone act like this was "to be expected" and not a blatant bait-and-switch? I guess it's a good sign for the economy that so many consumers are willing to be bent over with a smile on their face. I guess the stock market will do really well this year. As for me, I was all set to buy an XLT ER for closer to $60k. Now, I may go ahead and use my day 1 reservation to order the pro with no options. Doesn't matter how long it takes Ford to build it. In the mean time, I can watch the market to see if resellers are making a profit while I wait for it to arrive, then I can either flip it for a profit or abandon it at the dealer before taking delivery. It's good to have options.
Yeah, I am starting to agree with you. Not only that but the Lariat does not come with Body colored door handles or mirrors, unless it's a mistake on the site? At this point maybe the Pro is the best options even with the SR battery. Ford truly dropped the ball.

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai Ioniq&Kona, Honda FCV
Occupation
IT Consultant
I have a different perspective on this issue. Ever since day 1 I resemble F150 Lighting (ER at least) as direct alternative to something like Raptor or TRX (Performance Truck) . I always wanted a Raptor , but the filthy MPG (better than others, but still horrible in general) and crazy Markups kept me away from them. When I see the Lighting ER that's going match or surpass Raptors in many meaningful measurements without single sip of petroleum, I know this is the first truck I will ever get. Raptors aren't selling at 50 or 60K, why should the as capable (or even more capable in some cases) lightning selling at that price? IMO Ford made a mistake to advertise F150 Lighting as $40K Truck in the mass media. EV truck with billions of R&D invested are meant to be expensive at first(Check Model S, Lucid Air, Hummer EV). It would be a different story if they release and advertise those Pro trucks as 2023 or 2024 model at $40K or below.

Lighting ER should be viewed as an alternative for users like myself that always wanted a Raptor ,but don't want to deal with the filthy petroleum and horrible fuel efficiency.

Just my perspective on this

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Again, I understand the disappointment, but then the sideways remark that follows it..... Like a $75k Lightning is "frilless", or "Ford really dropped the ball"

I looked up the idiom = made an error; missed an opportunity

Maybe. But I'm going to bet that Ford sells every Lightning they can possibly assemble and get out the door.

Where I do agree is that the EV future will inevitably lead to more competition and probably opportunities for those that were looking for $55-60k Lightnings to find them offered with a Blue Oval, or perhaps a BowTie, if you know what I mean.

I can't help but notice that when I look around almost EVERYTHING is suddenly more expensive than what it was not very long ago. It's not just a Ford Lightning thing. It's everything everywhere. I personally don't think it is sustainable, and I wouldn't even attempt to predict how that would play out exactly. But I'm pretty sure that today's Ford Lightning build choices for these initial waves are nothing more than just that.

evermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Toyota 4Runner, Sur Ron X electric dirt bike
What power and voltage can Ioniq 5 charge your bike at?
The Sur Ron X comes with a 10A charger so a regular household plug so it can "take 1.2kW. The Ioniq5 V2L system can provide 3.6kW while the Lightning Pro delivers 2.4kW? Either way, it's sufficient. A household outlet will fully charge the ~2kWh battery in 3 hours so I figure 1 hour of charging off an Ioniq/LP will give me another hour of riding :)

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I will repeat what I have said a couple of times. Go test drive an ICE F-150. If you haven't driven an EV with any type of power, test drive that also. Now combine both of them. This isn't a rough riding crappy truck to begin with, but I agree that bundling up all the individual options was a Mistake. A Lariat with Extended range would have been perfect. I dont need BluesClues

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Not only that but the Lariat does not come with Body colored door handles or mirrors, unless it's a mistake on the site? At this point maybe the Pro is the best options even with the SR battery. Ford truly dropped the ball.
Make sure you aren't looking at the default agate black pictures. When you switch to another color it clearly shows Lariat with painted mirror and door handles. Plus they are listed in the order guide under standard equipment.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
Keep in mind producing the batteries is a big constraint on production. If by making SR trucks more appeal price wise Ford can sell more vehicles. The math probably is the ER package on XLT costs enough to make up the margin for the added cost of ER pack and the loss to Ford of the profit from trucks they can not build and sell because of the extra pouches used to make the ER battery.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Make sure you aren't looking at the default agate black pictures. When you switch to another color it clearly shows Lariat with painted mirror and door handles. Plus they are listed in the order guide under standard equipment.
Thank you! Just saw that.

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 90 S
Occupation
Student (Aviation Management and Operations) / Farm Manager

Oh, you as well, the pleasure is all mine.

Wait are you cross shopping? Or are you just buying both cars ?. I have a Genesis G90 on reservation as well as a Lightning. I’m just getting both cars, I’m not getting one or the other.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.