• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How much demand for the BuiltRight Dash Mount? (Lariat/Plat)

Would you buy one if it were available?

• Total voters

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
For those familiar, BuiltRIght makes (in my opinion) one of the better designed dash mounts for the F150 line, including the Pro/XLT Lightnings. But they do not yet have a variant for the Lariat/Platinum with the 15" screen. I emailed them a year ago to ask about an ETA, and they said they were working on it, just waiting for their own truck to arrive. After I recently purchased a second Lightning, I decided to check in with them to see how the progress goes, and they advised that there wasn't much organic demand, so it wasn't high priority. I'm just curious, how many owners here would snatch one up once/if they become available? I've been thus far unimpressed with other similar products on the market, because they rely in self-tappers in the dash, sticky tape (I'm in Las Vegas, so that's no bueno in our heat).

Here's a link to the Pro/XLT variant, to get an idea how it works.

https://builtrightind.com/products/dash-mount-ford-f-150-raptor-2021

Ford F-150 Lightning How much demand for the BuiltRight Dash Mount? (Lariat/Plat) _f150_dash_mount_5_1400_note_1800x1800.progressive
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Slim to zero.

Why would I need my phone on the dash?

I also wouldn't need anything outside of the already massive 15" display.

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
CarPlay has negated the need for my phone to leave my pocket.

Curious why you want your phone mounted while driving?

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ

Not the person you're asking but a couple things from my experience:
  1. This was a bigger thing in my MME, only seen it once in 3 weeks in my F150L, but the compass is sometimes very wrong if my phone isn't in an upright position. Using Apple or Google maps made it look like I was drifting everywhere and the short term routing kept demanding turns I didn't need to make.
  2. When using apple maps, the phone functions as an additional display with a list of turn by turn directions I can easily scroll through and look ahead on.
  3. I'm pulling my phone out of my pocket anyway because I need to plug it in. Degraded battery on an old phone requires it. This alone doesn't necessitate mounting, but minimal extra effort to clip it into a mount vs us the slot next to the cup holders.
  4. My wife's does not get along with the high tech nature of the truck, doesn't even want to figure out the navigation, so when she drives, she's not using Android Auto, but using google maps on her phone.
In short, different strokes for different folks. What works for you may not be preferable to everyone.

OP
OP
HaroldCal

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

There are things besides phones. In my case, I want it for my Ham Radio gear. But I do also like to have my phone visible, as some of my notifications don't display on the 15" screen. I also don't allow texts and contacts sync. Because reasons

Sponsored

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
Not the person you're asking but a couple things from my experience:
  1. This was a bigger thing in my MME, only seen it once in 3 weeks in my F150L, but the compass is sometimes very wrong if my phone isn't in an upright position. Using Apple or Google maps made it look like I was drifting everywhere and the short term routing kept demanding turns I didn't need to make.
  2. When using apple maps, the phone functions as an additional display with a list of turn by turn directions I can easily scroll through and look ahead on.
  3. I'm pulling my phone out of my pocket anyway because I need to plug it in. Degraded battery on an old phone requires it. This alone doesn't necessitate mounting, but minimal extra effort to clip it into a mount vs us the slot next to the cup holders.
  4. My wife's does not get along with the high tech nature of the truck, doesn't even want to figure out the navigation, so when she drives, she's not using Android Auto, but using google maps on her phone.
In short, different strokes for different folks. What works for you may not be preferable to everyone.
Understood. That’s why I asked.

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
Looks like 5 - 1/4" holes need to be drilled in dash tray area.
... depends upon final pricing and just how it functions with the larger display.

OP
OP
HaroldCal

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Looks like 5 - 1/4" holes need to be drilled in dash tray area.
... depends upon final pricing and just how it functions with the larger display.
I recall reviewing their instructions for the Pro/XLT variant, and IIRC, it used existing screws that were under the tray, but perhaps needed to be drilled to pass through the top part of the tray? I remember specifically that it WASN'T self-tappers, it was real screws that were part of the existing design.

wautard1

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat
This is the best phone mount for the lightning if you want it up by the screen.

Spigen OneTap (MagFit) Designed for Tesla Model 3/Y/S/X & Ford Mustang Mach-E Designed for MagSafe Car Mount Compatible with iPhone 15 Pro Max, 15 Pro, 15 Plus, 15, 14, 13, and 12 Series https://a.co/d/e1hS0TQ

OP
OP
HaroldCal

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
This is the best phone mount for the lightning if you want it up by the screen.
https://a.co/d/e1hS0TQ
THat's pretty slick as far as phone mounts go. But for me, it's not going to work.
1. Double stick tape is a no-go here in Las Vegas. Can't survive the heat. (at least not reliably)
2. I want something like the BuiltRight because I want it for more than just my phone. Like the sample photo in the OP, I want it for my ham radio gear too.

GingerBear85

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER - Stone Metallic
Occupation
Construction
I have emailed Matt @BuiltRight and he said it’s something they wanted to do but didn’t have a vehicle to make the prototype since the 15” screen isn’t in as many vehicles. Hopefully with the Expedition & ICE F-150’s getting the larger screen in some trims we might see something 🤞
Sponsored