• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How to disassemble the Lightning dash cluster?

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
Looking for some help on how to correctly remove these panels, so I can pull out the dash cluster without breaking anything. I need to install the speedometer in-line tool, and cannot seem to figure out how to remove these pieces from the left hand side.

Anyone with knowledge on how these are removed? Trying not to break anything

Ford F-150 Lightning How to disassemble the Lightning dash cluster? 1670013867218
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
You might go look for Munro's videos. They do 2 I believe on the dash and show how it basically is designed and put together from the framework out.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Shelby GT 500 FPB 2021 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Looking for some help on how to correctly remove these panels, so I can pull out the dash cluster without breaking anything. I need to install the speedometer in-line tool, and cannot seem to figure out how to remove these pieces from the left hand side.

Anyone with knowledge on how these are removed? Trying not to break anything

1670013867218.jpeg
Joe, from Ford's F-150 Lightning repair manual, it looks like there are clips under that trim and you use a trim removal tool to pull it forward. Thing is, the diagram does not look exactly like your trim. Yours almost looks like a two piece where as in the diagram it looks to be one piece. Many times the repair manual will show one of the trim styles that are available on the vehicle but it will apply to all. Let me know if I can help you with any other photos involving this project of yours.

Ford F-150 Lightning How to disassemble the Lightning dash cluster? Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 11.55.26 PM

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
Joe, from Ford's F-150 Lightning repair manual, it looks like there are clips under that trim and you use a trim removal tool to pull it forward. Thing is, the diagram does not look exactly like your trim. Yours almost looks like a two piece where as in the diagram it looks to be one piece. Many times the repair manual will show one of the trim styles that are available on the vehicle but it will apply to all. Let me know if I can help you with any other photos involving this project of yours.

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 11.55.26 PM.jpg
Wow! Thank you for this. And the lower trim underneath the steering wheel, does that unbolt/pop out as well, or Iā€™ve seen some fords where it seems to pivot along the bottom and ā€œunfoldā€ or hinge down?

Today is the day. Itā€™s coming off and the speedometer tool is getting installed today one way or another!!! :) Hope I dont break anything.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Shelby GT 500 FPB 2021 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Wow! Thank you for this. And the lower trim underneath the steering wheel, does that unbolt/pop out as well, or Iā€™ve seen some fords where it seems to pivot along the bottom and ā€œunfoldā€ or hinge down?

Today is the day. Itā€™s coming off and the speedometer tool is getting installed today one way or another!!! :) Hope I dont break anything.
I made a PDF of the photos from the repair manual for removing the Instrument Panel Cluster. This is for the Lightning with the 12" display but It's probably similar to the models with other screen sizes. Didn't know what you had.

Attachments

Sponsored
OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
I got it all done!!!! Yeah (happy for myself). Didnā€™t break anything either. Let me upload the photos in a minute to assist others.

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
Pull this piece straight towards the rear of the truck. There are 3 clips, and some plastic screw/thread thing that seems to hold it in place. Just pull and it will slide off. Helps o angle it up a bit as well.
Ford F-150 Lightning How to disassemble the Lightning dash cluster? C7212367-9876-4876-8B05-2DBEC67BD792
Ford F-150 Lightning How to disassemble the Lightning dash cluster? C09EC3DC-256A-4123-94A7-CD5F606F3DE1

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
The next top piece also pulls straight back toward the rear of the vehichle. Comes off pretty easily with pry tools.

Ford F-150 Lightning How to disassemble the Lightning dash cluster? 33A8031C-C571-4788-B616-CD890ADC9C63

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
The the trim along the bezel is pretty easy. Clip on the left hand (lower left) was REALLY on there. Once you take out the screw on the left, and two screws along the lower right its fairly straight forward. Make sure to unplug the start/stop button and this whole piece will come out nicely.
Ford F-150 Lightning How to disassemble the Lightning dash cluster? 6B74D5B2-4B68-412C-B8C0-73E699EB1F29

Ford F-150 Lightning How to disassemble the Lightning dash cluster? ADF5ED1A-50D3-437D-8B2B-55659375C370

Ford F-150 Lightning How to disassemble the Lightning dash cluster? 19D1554A-0753-490C-9A2D-282DE1F9E62D

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
(4) 7mm bolts hold in the cluster. Pretty uneventful poppin this out and installing the in-line speedo calibration tool. Super easy to install. Plenty of room behind the cluster. Snap-snap and Iā€™m now calculating the correct speed after a quick test drive up the freeway. YEAH!!!

Ford F-150 Lightning How to disassemble the Lightning dash cluster? 40CD692B-B272-4081-AE9B-0FEB412A67E9

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
(4) 7mm bolts hold in the cluster. Pretty uneventful poppin this out and installing the in-line speedo calibration tool. Super easy to install. Plenty of room behind the cluster. Snap-snap and Iā€™m now calculating the correct speed after a quick test drive up the freeway. YEAH!!!

40CD692B-B272-4081-AE9B-0FEB412A67E9.jpeg
Can you explain what this does and why we might want one?

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
If you change the tires on your Lightning. Bigger or smaller, then you need to recalibrate the speedo (it will be off).
Iā€™m not a fan of FORscan, so this is an in-line modular that I programmed to the new tire size and then you install it behind the dash cluster and it intercepts the signal from the ECU to the dash so that it displays the correct speed. I believe it also affects the range estimates too.

Squeeg333

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 F150, 2023 Lightning Lariat (on order)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
This is awesome. Thanks for the write up and photos. I was curious how best to take the dash apart to do this very thing. Once my lightning shows up, I will be throwing bigger tires on and had questions on how best to tackle this. Thanks!!!

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
update, you will want to wrap that new speedo tool, and wiring, in some foam padding to make sure it doesn't rattle. It adds a lot of slack in the wiring, and the original plastic connector was rattling in my dash on larger bumps, so I disassembled again, used some closed cell foam sheets and cloth automotive tape, and wrapped it all up. Just reassembled. Should be good to go now.

Save yourself time and do some rattle-prevention while you have it apart the FIRST TIME. :)
Sponsored